Recommended US shows

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
aj_1980

Recommended US shows

Post by aj_1980 »

Hi all,

Normally a lurker here but posting for a change. Next year marks my 40th and along with a few friends who are also turning 40 in 2020 we are looking for a few things to do to mark the occasion.

One of the things suggested is to attend one of the bigger US airshows. Are there any in particular that people recommend? Are there any that capture some of the magic of the Mildenhall airshows days? I would be particularly interested in ones located near other attractions (no necessarily aviation related) so we could make a whole week of it. Predominantly interested in fast jet / modern stuff.

Many thanks.
Andy

Mike

Re: Recommended US shows

Post by Mike »

Nellis is a good bet. Close to Vegas too.

I'm not sure if it is annual, or every two years, nowadays.

Miramar's also usually pretty good, close to San Diego.

Both are late in the year (it's too hot on the West Coast to have them in the summer)

I've not done any East Coast shows so couldn't comment on them.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

In general, US military shows - albeit free - are significantly smaller than UK or European airshows. Particularly on their static displays which can be tiny.

You also have to pay for the best seats in the house - which is worth it for one day if doing a two day show.

One of the biggest military shows in the US is MCAS Miramar which is held at the end of September, it is a three day event and always attracts the Blue Angels plus its star attraction - the MAGTF attack demo. The only challenge, you're facing the sun. I attended the 2010 and 2015 shows (reviews can be found here), plus my review of the 2019 event should be published early in the new year.

The area surrounding Miramar is also excellent.... within 2 to 3 hours drive you have San Diego (where the Fleet Week always coincides with the show), Los Angeles, March AFB Museum, Chino Museums, Palm Springs Museums, NAF El Centro, and MCAS Yuma.

Other 2020 shows of note is Point Mugu - I last attended in 2015 and it was a great event with a good varied static and superb flying display. In addition, Edwards AFB have an airshow in 2020 - these are rare events and as you can imagine with the fleet based there they can be varied (have seen mass formation flypasts of B-52/B-2 and B-1) - the shows here are legendary for bad traffic to get out though!

On the civil show side of things, you can't go wrong with Wings Over Houston - they revolve around an annual theme and attract masses of warbirds plus modern military displays. A great fun show with a dawn night shoot.

Personally in 2020 I am off to Phoenix in March for my first taste of Luke AFB airshow although I am very tempted by Edwards too.

Hope that helps.

Andy

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Fully agree with Miramar being a good choice.

Great not only for the airshow (apart from the sun) , but the museum adjoining the base, then San Diego carrier with a good line up on the carriers flight deck, plus the aircraft museum in balboa park, that has a sea dart and blackbird as 'gate guards'.
Don't forget N.A.S. North Island at San Diego either.

March field isn't far either, as mentioned, and Chino is great, but drive round the perimeter to get further airframes and photographs.

L.A. downtown has the twin stock SR71 outside the science museum by the olympic stadium, plus a NASA F-5 i believe.

Dont forget once your at Chino, its only 3 hours to Nellis.....just saying :wink:
Got to love Russianhardware

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'd forgotten that Edwards have a show scheduled. I hope it doesn't get canned like the last few they've announced. I went to the last one in 2009 and it was excellent for rarities, the traffic is horrendous, and it's not a huge show, but well worth the trip.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

You can't go wrong with Oshkosh :biggrin: . You'll be able to see all aspects of aviation - homebuilts, modern military, vintage aviation, warbirds, floatplanes... and it seems that you'll see different things on different days. A great experience!

Andy :smile:

Mike

Post by Mike »

Oshkosh is a great experience, but you won't see much modern mil/fast jet stuff in the air