New Year Update: A Decade in Review

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

New Year Update: A Decade in Review

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Hindsight is 2020..." - In UK Airshow Review's final piece of the decade, Tom Jones and the rest of the staff team look back at some of the defining moments of "the teenies".

Image Image Image

Elliott Marsh

Re: New Year Update: A Decade in Review

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The Aircraft Restoration Company rolled out... P-47 "Snafu".

Worth clarifying that The Fighter Collection restored and operated Snafu. Of the aircraft that left these shores in the last decade, Snafu is the one missed most. A stunning restoration.

On that front, it was a fantastic decade for restored vintage types, wasn't it! Sopwith Camel, P-40C, P-40F, P-36C, Blenheim, Lysander, Gladiator (which flew in 2008 but wasn't displayed until 2013), Snafu, four Buchóns, the Comet's return, Dave Beale's Mew Gull, Mystery Ship, two BE2es, Albatros, Snipe, Hawker Fury, Anglia Aircraft Restorations' Fury, Seafire III, Meteor T7, a whole gaggle of Hurricanes and countless Spitfires (including three accurately reproduced Mk.Is). There are plenty more. Then you have the 'returns' like Nellie B, Spit V JG891 etc., imports from Europe such as the two Yak-3s, and numerous imported one-offs like the RE8 and Albatros in 2012, Berlin Express, Princess Elizabeth, a couple of bubble canopy P-51s, the Peashooter, the Canadian Lanc, the massed Dakota gathering etc. It's a bit ridiculous when you start racking up a list.

There are fewer places to see the historics now that we've lost some of the prominent civilian shows, but the scene itself really found itself at the peak of a golden age at some point in the last 10 years. I still think back to July 2015, and seeing RAMEX Delta, the P-1, Hind and Vulcan on the same day as four Miles Magisters, Comet, Albatros and Snipe at sunset. That was the peak for me, really, and showed just how lucky we still are.

I can't really comment on the modern mil or civilian elements as I'm content to do my annual European military show and the very occasional day at one or both of the US bases. I'll say that the Euro mil shows have scratched that itch for the last few years.

I think the overarching message of the last decade is to take nothing for granted.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Elliott Marsh wrote:
The Aircraft Restoration Company rolled out... P-47 "Snafu".
Worth clarifying that The Fighter Collection restored and operated Snafu.

Whoops, pretty bad one to let slip through. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees when you're staring at this stuff for so long! Now corrected.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

A fine summary of the last decade of UK displays Tom. Seems good UK shows are 'not unusual' after all :grin:

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

UKTopgun wrote:A fine summary of the last decade of UK displays Tom. Seems good UK shows are 'not unusual' after all :grin:

We’ve banned for less :lol:
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Excellent piece recalling a good decade for UK air displays, aside from the awful events of August 2015 that we must strive to ensure are never repeated. Whereas earlier in the decade we almost saw a golden age for classic jets, it seems now as we enter the twenties the warbird scene is stronger than ever before, boosted by the CAA's relaxation of regulations on the carrying of fare paying passengers in types such as the Spitfire. Above all else, I think as Tommy said, a reminder to never to take anything for granted will be key for enthusiasts in this decade. With Air Arms across Europe and the world undergoing huge amounts of change, display items that we may have taken for granted in the past may not be around in the future...