Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Marathon Milkshake

Marham Victor XH673

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter

cometguymk1

Re: Marham Victor XH673

Post by cometguymk1 »

What condition is she in? must admit i haven't heard about this one before.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Its moments like these that really p!ss you off with the preservation of military aircraft by the RAF in the UK. The long time Victor association with the base is obviously now forgotten and meaningless, Gulf War contribution - pah!

Luckily the good people of Bruntingthorpe and Elvington managed to get their hands on one each, excusing the pink paint, and they got another into Cosford albeit at the detriment and destruction of the lovely camo B2 they already had, albeit that was at the detriment and destruction of the white B1 they already had, something they managed to repeat with the last remaining Vulcan B1 as well. :facepalm: I'm sure museums are allowed more than one version of an aircraft, but seemingly not at Cosford :dunno:

It doesn't help at all the fact that the two parts of the RAF Museum are at places where you can't get anything in bigger than a Jet Provost or that can land faster than a pigeon other than by road, chopped to bits first (as with the VC10) - instead of pre thinking and using an airfield with a central location that was being decommissioned where you could land anything - Gaydon for example - and building it up from there.

The chances of certain RAF types being preserved for posterity such as Tristar, Sentry, Voyager, etc are basically non existent.

Unless someone like GJD can come up with some serious cash and logistics to get it to St Athan to join their impressive collection I fear for the old girl, but it should not be happening. Marham was the last home for the RAF Victor force in service and while it is an active base, it should remain as a memorial, surely they could keep it there?

Hearing about this and the Beverley this week is very sad reading. :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

HeyfordDave111

Marham Victor XH673

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Some odd people in charge at Marham.

History and pride seem so missing at times.
They have a Tonka, Canberra and The Victor. I would argue the Victor more important than the Canberra, given their important and crucial war duties more than once with 55sq.

Is it really in the way?

Never got a photograph of it as during their truly awful rip off 'photographic' shoot 2 years ago, the bus transporting us wasn't allowed to stop or even slow down so we could take pictures of her or the Tonka, or the Canberra for that matter.
Fingers crossed she goes to a good home, but how many collections have the space and don't have one?

Coventry has no real space, Doncaster? (no not that one but the one with a museum and space), Norwich?, St. Athan?, Edinburgh?, Carlisle? Brunty? (a second one would look cool on photoshoots but adds to maintenance and care there),

On the back of the Beverley situation somethings gotta give.
Got to love Russianhardware

ianf

Post by ianf »

This sadly has been on the cards for a while now, we at Elvington have been following developments. Condition wise, I was allowed to have a look at her 4 years ago and considering she has been outside longer than ours and with no maintenance. She was in pretty good nick. The cockpit which I have not been in, I am told very little remains. Moving her is possible but would be incredibly expensive. I personally could only see GJD been able to pull this kind of move off. If so My guess would be St Athans.

It saddens me that she has to go as said, the Victor played a huge part in the cold war, in the 70 and 80's no deployment of other aircraft was possible without Victors. Remembering our heritage, should still have a place in the RAF, sadly bean counters seem to rule :sad: Those who don't know her location she is on a car park.

There are only 5 complete Victors left, losing one is a crime in my book.

Btw if you want to see a live Victor, borrowing Howard from Newark's shameless plug ability. Lindy is doing a static engine run this Sunday at the museum. No extra cost to get in. It is part of our maintenance routine. You get a bonus of our Nimrod running too. :biggrin:
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

I have just found a bit of time to do a bit more desk research on the Victor, which has raised an interesting point.

According to the last Wrecks & Relics 26: "[1] Victor is privately owned and on loan to the station."
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

What they've got there is a Victor shaped area of gravel. Some might say perfect for the placement of a Victor.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

vulcanshammer wrote:What they've got there is a Victor shaped area of gravel. Some might say perfect for the placement of a Victor.

A super gravel triangle, - another V Bomber springs to mind...
Canon systems

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

reheat module wrote:
vulcanshammer wrote:What they've got there is a Victor shaped area of gravel. Some might say perfect for the placement of a Victor.

A super gravel triangle, - another V Bomber springs to mind...

Be no good, they'd only end up rolling it without permission before abandoning it outside by the sewage works.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

It’s appeared on Twitter that Johnny Vegas has said he will take on the aircraft and give it a home.
Interesting development!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Great Concept! Wasn't he once a Comedian? :whistle:

Post by 5944 »

Archer

Post by Archer »

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

Top marks to Marham for organising a last visit for enthusiasts, it's a difficult position to be in and I'm sure they will face criticism for having to let her go.

I still have my fingers crossed for a last minute saviour to come along, there are only FIVE Victors left for goodness sake.

tomkil

Post by tomkil »

Will someone have the cockpit at least?

Victor77

Post by Victor77 »

Remember XH673 been installed in the car park when I was at Marham.

T_J

Post by T_J »