COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
pbeardmore

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by pbeardmore »

"as we now need all that money he squirreled away. "

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 34341.html

Where is this money? His policy was focussed on reducing the deficit, there was no large piggy bank under his desk? Given where we are now, perhaps greater spending on the NHS, Police and emergency planning

https://www.lgcplus.com/research/lgc-ma ... 6-12-2017/

The latest figures show that between September 2010 and September 2017, the number of police officers in English and Welsh forces fell by 19,921 or 14%, according to the Home Office.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2017/ ... ng-picture

20,000 Police Officers would have come in useful now?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

CJS

Post by CJS »

I ordered new garden furniture from Ikea a couple of weeks ago, delivery date is this Saturday. Just tried to cancel it but they said at the moment their deliveries were going ahead as per normal (with social distancing measures in place (i.e. they'll leave it by the front door)).

What would happen if I ordered it now I don't know.

Gove was on the radio this morning and was asked if deliveries of non essentials such as toys could carry on. He replied with a simple 'yes'.

I guess that, if social distancing can work at the point of picking, packing and loading, then the delivery itself shouldn't pose any additional risk. It would be a service that got cancelled without it needing to be perhaps? Gove was also clear about the importance of the economy continuing to function, if (and only if, he was very clear - for a change) the safety of the public wasn't effected.

I'm in school again today, but we've almost completely cut all the staff, only 2 of us in today to look after those vulnerable kids who are still in.

Crazy times...

Edit: re the text we will be receiving today (I have had mine) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52017451

Edit edit: someone who works in schools has just phoned for something else and also said that her son who is the RAF is being redeployed from London to Scotland "to help with the policing of the new measures". I'm only hearing that third hand, but a possible indication the military might be used to plug the gap left by the 20,000 fewer police officers?
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

call me cynical but, in view of the cost of supporting out of work self employed and zero hours workers, the gov has taken an alternative tactic of being pretty liberal re going to work if you cant work from home (many many self employed fall into that catagory ) so self employed delivery drivers can still plough their trade delivery non essential items. Not because we need those items as consumers (I can cope without a new kitchin bin) but because they need to carry on working.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Update: Insurance claim in........silence from them is deafening

Told to claim Universal Credit of £94.25 per week :lmao: :lmao: That's going sort it....So filled in the tick box forms, need to verify identity online, out through to Digidentity thousands in the Queue, then it crashed. Trying again to day......

Garden looks good and it's sunny.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Another thing that doesn't help is as posted above:

'I know a friend of a friend of a friend who's dads German Shepherd is in the army and it reckons....'

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

so as it stands for me.

I work in architecture and luckily have a forward-thinking employer so we are all working from home. It's not perfect, but while there are sites working and feasibility work to do we are still working. a lot of our sites are still open, others are starting to close. worst part of it is trying to explain to a 30kg Japanese Akita why he can now only have one walk a day.

The wife is still working, she works for H&S in a dairy supplier so is considered in the key workers list. a lot of her non-essential colleagues are home working, but she still has to be on site for the time being.

Our parents (in their 60's) all have some form of the condition that would make them high-risk category but don't seem to grasp what lockdown means and seem to think we will still go to see them, they can have their grand kids etc. Trying to explain to people with the "blitz spirit" and "hitler didn't stop us nor will this virus" mentality they have been spoon fed by the daily mail for years is kinda infuriating.

What is currently grinding my gears is that I can only leave the house once a day when the vast majority of my walks don't require seeing anyone, whilst the airports are still letting people in and out with quarantine... it's madness. Government either need to lock it down and support the workers or not.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Re going for a walk once a day, I think it's all down to being an adult and sensible. The whole series of rules is obviously designed to prevent face to face contact to prevent the spread of the virus (and also contact with hard surfaces etc that may carry infection). If you live in the deep countryside and have an empty field nearby, then two walks a day won't increase any risk. If we we all mature and adult about this, we would not need the "lockdown" - as usual it's a minority who disrupt things for everyone else (just like school?)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... down-video

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

rockfordstone wrote:so as it stands for me.

I work in architecture and luckily have a forward-thinking employer so we are all working from home. It's not perfect, but while there are sites working and feasibility work to do we are still working. a lot of our sites are still open, others are starting to close. worst part of it is trying to explain to a 30kg Japanese Akita why he can now only have one walk a day.

The wife is still working, she works for H&S in a dairy supplier so is considered in the key workers list. a lot of her non-essential colleagues are home working, but she still has to be on site for the time being.

What is currently grinding my gears is that I can only leave the house once a day when the vast majority of my walks don't require seeing anyone,

As I see it you can maybe only have one walk a day but if your dog plays his cards right with your wife there's no reason why he can't have two!

Alternatively the one walk a day could be twice as long?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:so as it stands for me.

What is currently grinding my gears is that I can only leave the house once a day when the vast majority of my walks don't require seeing anyone,

As I see it you can maybe only have one walk a day but if your dog plays his cards right with your wife there's no reason why he can't have two!

Alternatively the one walk a day could be twice as long?

we tried the first one last night as the wife currently has a running injury, but when that heals, she'll be wanting to use her slot to run.
i did want to do longer walks, but at 14 the dog can't quite manage long walks anymore so that's why we split his walks in half. he'll just have to get used to it.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

aceyone wrote:Another knock on effect,my car was due it's MOT ,unfortunately my service centre ( Bristol Street Motors ) has shut it's doors,so scratched around for a alternative and the earliest I could get was April 4th,no big deal to be without a car for a couple of weeks but does make life awkward !

Govt have announced a 6 month extension on MOT's due to expire. :up:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

starbuck wrote:
aceyone wrote:Another knock on effect,my car was due it's MOT ,unfortunately my service centre ( Bristol Street Motors ) has shut it's doors,so scratched around for a alternative and the earliest I could get was April 4th,no big deal to be without a car for a couple of weeks but does make life awkward !

Govt have announced a 6 month extension on MOT's due to expire. :up:

Smart move. Will they simply extend the date on everyone's record at DVLA?

vandal

Post by vandal »

Just been on the News - HRH The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Covid 19.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... 9-11963363

CJS

Post by CJS »

Airshowhammer wrote:Another thing that doesn't help is as posted above:

'I know a friend of a friend of a friend who's dads German Shepherd is in the army and it reckons....'

That's not quite the wording I used.

And in my defence I did speak to the lady who was talking about her son. It's not that far from the original source.

Anyway, my most sincerest of apologies for anyone upset by my panic inducing speculation...

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

My employer (financial services, remember) have said they will be paying everyone £30 p/m expenses to cover incidental expenses while we're all WFH. Which given the fact that I'm not incurring any additional expenses by being at home as its warm enough to not need the heating on now and I'm saving money on fuel due to not commuting means I'm doing alright out of this virus so far!!

And my MOT which was due in June is now pushed back to Dec.

Went to collect the 'lad' from Uni yesterday. All the halls are closing; uni has already moved to online learning.

Noticeably more Army vehicles on the roads especially transporters moving what appeared to be big generators.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

How do you set the "ignore user" button so you don't have to see posts like the one above? you can on Simple Machines Forums
Last edited by Zoom on Wed 25 Mar 2020, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

speedbird2639 wrote:My employer (financial services, remember) have said they will be paying everyone £30 p/m expenses to cover incidental expenses while we're all WFH. Which given the fact that I'm not incurring any additional expenses by being at home as its warm enough to not need the heating on now and I'm saving money on fuel due to not commuting means I'm doing alright out of this virus so far!!

And my MOT which was due in June is now pushed back to Dec.

Went to collect the 'lad' from Uni yesterday. All the halls are closing; uni has already moved to online learning.

Noticeably more Army vehicles on the roads especially transporters moving what appeared to be big generators.

Did you wake up one day with no empathy or did it drain away over a protracted period?

Anyway, bad news for me today as I’ve been redeployed to a probation hostel full to the brim of people recently in prison and where most of the staff have gone off sick. I’m absolutely terrified of bringing it back in my house to my wife and daughter. On the bright side we have a spare room and a separate bathroom I can use so can’t complain really. Especially can’t complain as my neighbour is a nurse in a big hospital. I don’t know how she goes to work, it sounds pretty bad already.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Oh well,bags of time on my hands-Morrisons website

"Number of users in queue ahead of you: 135361"
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

neilos

Post by neilos »

Effect on me? :dizzy:

Hmmm, lets see. Been out of work past 2 weeks. I’m a self-employed chauffeur with a chauffeur company. None of our clients are travelling. On a daily basis we had them travelling to the US, China and Europe. Within just a week, that all ended.

Had no communication from the boss as to what’s happening. Obviously we know what’s happening, but a bit of communication wouldn’t go a miss! :mad:

Signed up this week to the local community transport scheme, doesn’t pay a lot as it’s on a volunteer basis, but every little helps, and if it gets me out the house just for a few hours a week, and away from a nagging mother, then it’s a win! :lol:

:dunno:

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I appreciate what the clapping is for but...clapping doesn't pay the bills. The country as a whole is being two faced. Years of a low tax, austerity gov with slice after slice off of NHS budgets. Now the poo hits the fan, they get a round of applause.

My mum was in hospital for 2 weeks in Jan with pnuemonia. I visited every day and it was a real eye opener seeing them so short of staff and having to make do and mend...and that was before the virus hit. These guys deserve more than people clapping at their front doors. They deseve a decent wage and decent working conditions.End of rant

neilos

Post by neilos »

pbeardmore wrote:These guys deserve more than people clapping at their front doors. They deseve a decent wage and decent working conditions.End of rant

I spent 16yrs working for the NHS in the operating theatres. I only left due to a newly appointed unsupportive "dwad" of a manager who didn’t know his backside from his elbow.

No-one moaned in our department, we just got on with it. I have never worked with such an amazing supportive bunch of people! :love:

CJS

Post by CJS »

neilos wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:These guys deserve more than people clapping at their front doors. They deseve a decent wage and decent working conditions.End of rant

I spent 16yrs working for the NHS in the operating theatres. I only left due to a newly appointed unsupportive "dwad" of a manager who didn’t know his backside from his elbow.

No-one moaned in our department, we just got on with it. I have never worked with such an amazing supportive bunch of people! :love:

I don't normally go in for the changing your profile picture-knee jerk reaction-supporting something you had no interest in until it became cool to-thing, but I was there, hanging out the window, clapping away tonight. I'll tell you what, so was almost the whole street.

I agree pb, they deserve more than a round of applause, but as they go, I'd say tonight's was a pretty good one.

If you're on UKAR and you work for the NHS, well then :clap:

And thank you. :worship:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

My wife works at Frimley Park Hospital (she's there now) and she was moved to tears by the whole street on their doorsteps clapping and cheering. Every door was open. Yes they are underpaid but they still know how to appreciate sincere support.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Not been a bad week, we got paid anyway :yahoo: . Still waiting to hear about being furloughed. My wife is working from home 4 days a week and we are still talking :lol: . Thing that has saved me this week is the weather. i love working from home in the summer with a ll the garden spotting I can do. Despite the empty skies there have been some things of interest, particually frieghters, makes a change from a constant stream of Easyjet, jet2 etc. Cancelled all my holiday as it was all based around events this year that will not happened and booked forst two weeks of September off. Hope to get up to Coningsby/Crawell etc and maybe a foriegn trip in Europe. I just hope that 3 weeks is only 3 weeks and we can start a slow return to normality?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Being on a teachers' pension I am secure financially and also don't need to travel but feel massively for those who are so badly affected.
Wife and I are trying hard to follow lockdown procedures, aiming to shop at most once a week and doing our 40 minute walk in the countryside daily. My wife is in an over 55s dance group - the people who run it are doing daily on-line classes, wife did one yesterday and I might have a go today (don't laugh).
We are clearly, despite Trump's message, going to miss our holiday in the USA in June, tickets for Wimbledon, Riverdance and Queen won't happen now. But these are all middle class, middle age, 1st world problems and I am very happy to follow what I think is logical, fair and structured advice from the scientific community.

Scrabble has become a nightly event - 5-3 to swimbo at the moment.

Final thought for today - if Lewis Carroll had used Corbyn as a main character in Alice in Wonderland he would have been spot on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52048213

He just doesn't get that he lost Labour the election.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

FarnboroJohn wrote:My wife works at Frimley Park Hospital (she's there now) and she was moved to tears by the whole street on their doorsteps clapping and cheering. Every door was open. Yes they are underpaid but they still know how to appreciate sincere support.

Would she take clapping AND and 10% pay rise? :smile: There could be a horrible irony on the distant horizon. Given the huge impact this will have on the economy and the huge amount that the gov has had to borrow to cover wages, what will policy be to get us out of it? Austerity?

PS BJ infected!!