Lock down mega build Week 6 Finished!

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
IATthenRIAT

Re: Lock down mega build Week 6 update

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Great work im currently working on a Spit, Seafire and Mossie.

ianf

Re: Lock down mega build Week 6 update

Post by ianf »

As I mentioned in the Buccaneer thread I got bogged down in the detail on Lindy and an irritation I had on all the builds that certain tools I use I had not found. So I stopped had a rethink and a sort out to find all my gear and decide what to do. The Airfix kit is very good but does have some odd omissions from it. All the aerials on the lower fuselage are absent,there are 5 of these. The bomb bay door should have 3 not 2 on and there is a fairing containing the underside periscope all missing. All these I scratch built. You saw from my last post I had started the underwing floodlights. Also on the Hose drum unit there are two very prominent windows, which are missing on the kit. I have made those to. The retractable landing lights in the wings are shown as scribed lines in the kit, but I drilled them out and added clearfix. there is also glass work and gauges visible on the 2 refuelling pods. I painted them on, I think in a decal could have covered them. There was various other items, but to be fair only someone working on them would know of them as are not very visible hence I did not add them.

Finally the model is "finished" *

In this shot you can see the underwing flood lights forward of the HDU. Also the window in the HDU , the retractable landing lights (black and clear ) on the wing. The middle Aerial on the bomb bay doors has been added. Even though Lindy is kept clean the rear area underneath the engines are always mucky (a lot worse in service!)

Forward lower fuselage, showing the periscope housing and the new aerials. Also painted in black are 4 grills omitted on the kit that are very visible on Lindy also the lower beacon was added.

The reason I showed the bucc build before this is it is in shots with Lindy. This shows you how big a bucc is! also it shows you the correct colour schemes in the gulf of both types. The box art work has Lindy the same colour as the bucc, you can see this is wrong!

Note the wing walks are hand painted as they are not standard. Because she does not fly we added extra safety by painting them in non slip paint.

The whole of the mega build together.

You may have noticed I put an asterisk by the word finished. That is because I was still not happy with the kit in one aspect. The decal Airfix supplied for the 55 sqn badge is in a deep blue colour. This is correct for camo jets but not Hemp ones. I did put them on as you see but was unhappy so I dug out my spares and found the correct pale ones. I remove the ones on the kit and applied the right ones and now it is finished and on my Lindy shelf.

The out of focus model in the back ground is the Tamiya Heinkel HE 219 like the one Derek built recently.

The model under the shelf is the Russian space station MIR

I have enjoyed getting restarted, forgive my waffling on on how I do things, we all do things differently. Lindy is a subject I can help anyone who needs info on. The Airfix kit is a superb kit. It does need care and has a few things I would have done different. But they are to be congratulated for being bold enough to tackle a kit like this. I will get better with practice on it as I have at least 5 more to build! My next build won't be as many and will be started soon.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Ant.H

Re: Lock down mega build Week 6 Finished!

Post by Ant.H »

Great work Ian, that shelf of Victors is a sight to behold!

Have you registered your nuclear capable fleet with the relevant authorities?? :)

ianf

Post by ianf »

Hi Ant thanks for the comments. The shelf goes round the corner and can/will take 5 move Victors!

Do you think I need to contact the arms control folk? as I have a small fleet of strategic nuclear bombers. From memory I have.
3 X B52 , 2 X TU 95, 5 X Victors, 5 X Vulcans , 1 x Valiant, 1 x B-58 , 1 x B-47 , 1 x B-36, 4 x B-29 , 1 x Mirage IV, 1 x TU -22 , 1 x TU-26. I also have various nuclear bombs and missiles in my collection. There are others too. Until I started to write this I did not realise how many bombers I have. :grin:
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Sounds like a dangerous collection Ian. Would be good to see some photos!

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

It sounds as though the top brass at the UN ought to be informed, I'm sure there are conventions banning those sorts of stockpiles! :D