Request time and some fun. RIAT 2021

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RAF4EVER

Re: Request time and some fun. RIAT 2021

Post by RAF4EVER »

pbeardmore wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020, 10:20 am
Given the rapid changes we are witnessing at the moment, perhaps a 747?
Why???

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

A USAF E-3 would be nice.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i'd love to see a B1 display or flypast, an A-10 role demo would also be great.
and for fun, get the BA special scheme 747s up for a formation flypast

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Do you think we are likely to see a usaf demo team at next year's show and if so which one, i personally would like to see the a-10 demo team?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I think it could be quite likely. USAF Demo teams have been very good supporters of RIAT in recent years.

frank

Post by frank »

Is there a problem with the RIAT website today or is it my PC. I can access all my usual internet sites but not RIAT for some reason. Very odd

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Was this show the last on with vadar from Bac or is it this year?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Nope, 2020 was meant to be, but due to Covid cancelling the majority of shows, Vader will be returning for 2021.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Word is the Black Eagles are planning a European tour for 2021. MAKS are advertising them and RIAT are supposedly in talks. With all the doom and gloom, perhaps this is a chink of light?

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Some optimistic news for the 2021 Airshow season!
The world-famous South Korean aerobatic team the "Black Eagles" flying eight KAI T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic advanced trainers and light combat aircraft is considering a short European tour in July 2021! While not many details are known yet both the Royal International Air Tattoo and the MAKS-2021 International Aviation and Space Salon have already sent invitation letters to the Chief of Air Staff of the Republic of Korea Air Force and recently the General Director of Aviasalon JSC, Alexander Levin met with the ROKAF Attaché Colonel Kim Yong Wook to discuss the conditions for the participation of the team.
The Black Eagles are part of the 8th Fighter Wing of the Republic of Korea Air Force and are based at Wonju AB, in Gangwon province. Their last European visit in 2012 saw the team perform at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in 2012 where they won the King Hussein Memorial Sword, for the " 'Best Overall Flying Demonstration' and the 'As The Crow Flies Trophy'. They also displayed at the RAF Waddington International Air Show where they were awarded the Boeing Trophy for the best display.
While we can't predict the future and how the COVID situation will look next year we can only hope with our fingers and toes crossed that the team will make it to at least one of those events!
Photo Source: The Republic of Korea Air Force Aerobatic Team, Black Eagles

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hope i dont get any 'pelters' for this but i thought, seeing the Black Eagles display in clear skies of Fridays (i think it was) practice, i had never seen a better display.

Some displays are patriotic and tight, some are tighter, but not many are afterburning, fast, tight and dynamic........bring it on!
Got to love Russianhardware

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Shouldn't get any pelters really - the Black eagles were an incredible display team to watch
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Definitely the best team i've ever seen.

They were an amalgamation of the precision and panache of a European team with all the thunder and speed of a US team. Just amazing.

I won't hold my breath - but if this happens i'll be more than happy.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The last time they were over was long before I started going to bigger airshows over in England.

I hope they come. It would be fantastic to see them.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

edhunter wrote:
Wed 07 Oct 2020, 9:17 am
both the Royal International Air Tattoo and the MAKS-2021 International Aviation and Space Salon have already sent invitation letters to the Chief of Air Staff of the Republic of Korea Air Force
Nothing new IMO. South Korea has been on the list of invited countries for as long as DBH made that list public (and maybe even longer).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Apparently all the people who paid for totterdown for this year's show can rebook the same pitch from midnight, not sure if the price stays the same.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

What are the chances of an Me-262 in the flying display, are there any in the states that are still flying?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Not sure about the USA as they seem to get them flying & then 'break' them in quick succession!
The German-based one is still flying afik? Checkout this www.flugmuseum-messerschmitt.com for more info' & the display Youtube from Airpower 16 in Zeltweg.
If RIAT 2021 want it I'm sure it will be well received by both the Enthusiasts & Public. :mask:

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Finally some good news as of 2nd of December fans are allowed back into stadiums tier 1 4000 fans, tier 2 2000 fans. I know this is slim pickings, but every small step is a good one and a better chance of riat going ahead next year.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

That is good news. Also saying a lot of the vaccines are at 90/95% efficiency and everyone will have them by April with the vaccines maybe getting approval as early as this week.

Still a long road to go, but things might be looking up a bit more than they were a month or so ago.

Oh and I'd like to see the A-10 at RIAT. One of the few USAF aircraft I've not seen fly in my adult life. Spanish Harriers would also be a hugely welcome return.

CJS

Post by CJS »

If it goes ahead, it will be the 50th anniversary of the 1st Air Tattoo, so I imagine something of a theme will emerge along those lines!

So, was anyone on UKAR at North Weald in 1971? What aircraft were in attendance and could, in theory at least, any of them be welcomed back?

I am going to guess the BBMF were there, along with other warbirds. Perhaps also present were Jet Provost, Hunter, Gnat, Chipmunk, B-52 (is the runway long enough?) and I'm sure there were others that there are still flying examples of.

So maybe a centre piece flypast that showed off as many of the original participants as are still flying today would be fun?
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Spitfire's MH434 & PM631, Hurricane LF363 and the Shuttleworth Tutor & Gladiator were present.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:
Tue 24 Nov 2020, 8:54 pm
If it goes ahead, it will be the 50th anniversary of the 1st Air Tattoo, so I imagine something of a theme will emerge along those lines!

So, was anyone on UKAR at North Weald in 1971? What aircraft were in attendance and could, in theory at least, any of them be welcomed back?

I am going to guess the BBMF were there, along with other warbirds. Perhaps also present were Jet Provost, Hunter, Gnat, Chipmunk, B-52 (is the runway long enough?) and I'm sure there were others that there are still flying examples of.

So maybe a centre piece flypast that showed off as many of the original participants as are still flying today would be fun?
Rather than just randomly guess, no there was not a B-52, you could look it up! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This list is missing the four USAFE F-4s in the flypast, so its not perfect, but gives some idea what was on the ground.

https://www.scramble.nl/database/show-r ... weald-1971
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

There is not a lot of links to types still available with air arms from the very first show, certainly going to struggle getting RAF Argosy, Britannia, Belfast and Comet for example.

Even unit links are problematic, Pat de France, RAF C-17 and 331 Sqn F-16 (or F-35 if they've handed over by then) aside, even 54 Squadron on E-3D may be a push by then?

So I think if they are going for a historic chain, it will have to be with show highlights and long association units with the show over the 50 years.

The 193rd SOW from Pennsylvania as an example, Austrian Saab 105s would have been perfect, but as we know they finish this December. An F-104 would be good as Paul Bowen's favourite type.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

In terms of types there are a few you'd think would be easy enough to get. Many sadly impossible. Particularly hard task to get an F-32.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better