Drive-in airshows?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Drive-in airshows?

Post by UKTopgun »

In these strange times, all businesses and commercial operations will have to think differently and innovate to survive.
I had a thought about if drive in displays could work. Drive in, stay in car throughout, drive off. Bring a picnic, and for the loo, observe 2m rule when going.
Venues like Shuttleworth may lend themselves to this due to layout of the site. Or is this a mad idea? Thoughts?

Pen Pusher

Re: Drive in airshows?

Post by Pen Pusher »

Bit elitist if your'e ruling out cyclists, pedestrians, people arriving in coaches/mini-bus, motorcyclists? :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

What proportion of OW visitors, for an example, walk or cycle there though? Tiny percentage I think?
🤔

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Nice idea but some airshows need the income from traders and it will go back to the argument about non-essential travel. If somebody on the way to the show has an accident which involves the emergency services and one of the attenders has Covid then the whole team (20+) could need to be isolated so giving the NHS more problems.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Doesn't matter what the percentage is, it would still discrimination against the non car driver.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I was not thinking this for right now but in the future, I get the point about trader revenue but for a place like OW ticket sales would at least mean income which they will need desparately...

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq »

As one of the main attractions of Shuttleworth, to use your example, is for photography, cannot for the life of me see how this could possibly work!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

bizfreeq wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 1:26 pm
As one of the main attractions of Shuttleworth, to use your example, is for photography, cannot for the life of me see how this could possibly work!
Playing devil's advocate, the last time I did Shuttleworth I didn't take the camera as I already have pictures of everything I was likely to see and wanted to watch through eyeball not lens. However I did take my wife and while I'd be happy to use a bottle for the inevitable, she most certainly wouldn't.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

bizfreeq wrote:
Sunroof?

But in all seriousness where how am I supposed to add to my ever increasing patch collection from my car?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 12:43 pm
Nice idea but some airshows need the income from traders and it will go back to the argument about non-essential travel. If somebody on the way to the show has an accident which involves the emergency services and one of the attenders has Covid then the whole team (20+) could need to be isolated so giving the NHS more problems.

Hit the nail on the head, it just shouldn’t happen.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Drive-in airshows?

Post by UKTopgun »

As already said, not an idea for the lockdown period but perhaps when restrictions are eased. A way of seeing aeroplanes in the air at least.
I don't use a camera so that would not worry me.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 1:43 pm
bizfreeq wrote:
Playing devil's advocate, the last time I did Shuttleworth I didn't take the camera as I already have pictures of everything I was likely to see and wanted to watch through eyeball not lens. However I did take my wife and while I'd be happy to use a bottle for the inevitable, she most certainly wouldn't.
You just answered your own question, go on your own 😄

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

What the others have said; airshows are by nature mass participation events involving all forms of getting to them, huge trade MOD and other local groups presence. Generally the more crowded the better so not compatible with the current situation sadly.

I've got my own local one; it's "can I see a plane taking off from or approaching LGW from my house?"

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

For example, planned 'Level 2' restrictions in NZ
https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/co ... A0—-reduce

Alert Level 2 — Reduce
The disease is contained, but the risk of community transmission remains.

Risk assessment
Household transmission could be occurring.
Single or isolated cluster outbreaks.

Range of measures (can be applied locally or nationally)
Physical distancing of 1 metre outside the home (including on public transport).
Gatherings of up to 100 people indoors and 500 outdoors allowed while maintaining physical distancing and contact tracing requirements.
Sport and recreation activities are allowed if conditions on gatherings are met, physical distancing is followed and travel is local.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

WTF??

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Rough translation: no more air shows in New Zealand.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 8:39 pm
Risky thing to try to enforce: isn't the most capable fully armed combat aircraft in New Zealand a privately owned P-40? :lol:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

As a disturbing number of people still don't seem to understand social distancing, by which I mean walking along the middle of the pavement without a thought of moving to one side :mad: , I see that as another reason why this cannot work. Anyway, my camera kit has made an application to furlough for the next few weeks :smile: as it's feeling completely under-employed.

Andy :smile:

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 8:39 pm
Not under Level 2, no. Possible at Level 1, but there would be the risk of too many outbreaks occurring, and going back to Level 2 (for possibly just a region) at fairly short notice.

No normal sort of airshow will be happening until things are very much under control. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I can use my Omaka 2021 (Easter) ticket.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Tmyers123 wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 3:51 pm
iainpeden wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 12:43 pm
If somebody on the way to the show has an accident which involves the emergency services and one of the attenders has Covid then the whole team (20+) could need to be isolated so giving the NHS more problems.

Hit the nail on the head, it just shouldn’t happen.
This argument keeps getting repeated. "We are all at risk", "dont threaten the NHS", "blah blah". It is the reason we all have to "stay safe, stay indoors and stay at home".
Today is the first day this week I have been allowed to stay at home !!! I have been at work, driving to or from work, sharing office space with colleagues. The construction industry has not been forced to stop work and my company refuses to accept furlough. So whilst it is acceptable risk to be out welding steelwork or pouring concrete it is too dangerous to photograph aeroplanes or walk with family and friends. Too many people seem to think that being at home is the best thing ever, I hear reports that people are saving a fortune because they dont have to go out to work or drive the kids to school. Most are still being paid 80% of their salary by the Government. All our lives are different, things have changed, but life has always been full of risk, it should be left to the individual how to deal with that risk.

The Government actions should in my opinion be stronger on business like McDonald's and others who are hell bent on reopening, not for the good of the country or their employees, but simply to get the cash tills ringing. How can it be more dangerous to drive to the supermarket or burger joint than the airfield or country park ?

Sorry rant over. Yes I would have been at Old Warden today, where I work as a volunteer, but more importantly today I would prefer to be with my family, but the rules do not allow that either !!

Paul

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Paul
Devil's advocate again (and I would also love to get to see my daughter who lives a hour away and whom I haven't seen in 7 weeks and also get back to volunteering at Duxford)
By opening McDonalds, Wickes, etc etc people are being employed and the economy is starting to put cash back into the treasury.
Most trips to these places will be quite short - let's say 5 miles on average. My trip to Shuttleworth - 50 miles - would therefore multiply the risk of accident by 10 times.
Iain

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Don't most traffic accidents happen close to home?

So it's more dangerous to drive to the supermarket or burger joint rather than airfield or country park.

There is a herd instinct also that comes in that when others see one individual acting a certain way they think they too can follow. And before you know it, everyone's clamouring to get out and about.

I understand people's frustrations. I would like nothing better to drive out for a walk in the country, or visit relatives or do all the other things that I'd expect from a normal life. But I can't - or more importantly - I won't, because it's not the right thing to do.

The government has said Stay At Home, unless it's essential. That's it. If we all follow this, this ends quicker. Basic common sense.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sun 03 May 2020, 12:06 pm
The government has said Stay At Home, unless it's essential. That's it. If we all follow this, this ends quicker. Basic common sense.
Could not agree more. Wish somebody told my employer. Personally I am office based, although my office is a building site, I dont have to travel, but people I work with do travel and often visit different locations in a single day. At the start all sites were "business as usual" and anybody who knows construction knows that is means tight working areas and no social distancing, the ideal way of transferring the virus. It was quiet scary and we had issues and certain places were blacklisted, as a result some people lost their job for refusing work there. Now five weeks on we are still delivering all over the country the only difference I have seen is a few more yellow stickers and elf 'n safety notices and, yes, we are not as busy, but we are not closed. So I and my colleagues still travel and risk our lives on the road but are told we can not stand outside an airfield for risk of causing an accident but must still keep the economy running, and before anybody asked my company does not work in any essential areas, but McD's is not real the economy, it is a pacification to the masses. We will never know if a harder, earlier lockdown would have made a difference, neither will we ever know if the lockdown has had any positive effect.

Sorry for thread drift. I will say no more. Thanks for listening.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Despite the scepticism on here, seems Shuttleworth think it's a goer!

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

The difference of two months. I think that Shuttleworth have thought through the minimisation of risk but most of their income is airshows and so its fairly vital that they try.