Wings Over Wairarapa NZ Feb 2021

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
ErrolC

Wings Over Wairarapa NZ Feb 2021

Post by ErrolC »

Announced yesterday that they are going ahead, tickets on sale in July

Everyone is assuming that those entering NZ (currently citizens and permanent residents only, likely about to be loosened) at that time will be locked in a hotel for two weeks before being allowed out.
They don't commit to TVAL actually flying, I note.
My photos from 2019.

WINGS OVER WAIRARAPA CONFIRMED FOR FEBRUARY 2021 (25 May 2020)
Covid-19 won’t be keeping the Wings Over Wairarapa air festival grounded with dates for the iconic event now locked in.

The event, one of New Zealand’s premier air shows and held every two years at Masterton’s Hood Aerodrome, will run from 26-28 February next year.

Wings General Manager, Jenny Gasson, says thanks to New Zealand’s ‘team of 5 million’ doing such a fantastic job fighting COVID-19 the organisation is now in a position to hold the 2021 event, albeit with some adjustments.

The uncertainty around borders and entry into New Zealand means that the 2021 festival will be focusing on the incredible range of aircraft available within New Zealand.

Wings’ audiences have previously seen aircraft from the very first aircraft, through to those flown during WW1 and WW11, and more recently the brand-new RNZAF display team. They’ve also had support from international air forces which they are planning on working with again for 2021.

“We are in an amazing position with the quality of the air display we can offer and the fact that Hood Aerodrome is home to the Vintage Aviator aircraft is something we feel very privileged to be able to highlight,” Ms Gasson says.

Wings will also be running the STEM Aviation and Education programme during the 2021 festival. So successful at 2019’s Air Festival that over 4500 Wairarapa children visited to the airfield to learn about potential aviation careers.

“This is an industry that is doing it tough at the moment but will bounce back in the future and will need to be planning ahead for people to begin aviation careers.”

The Wings team were winners of the 2019 Business Wairarapa Supreme Award, somewhat awarded for their “resilience in the face of adversity”.

Wings Community Trust Chair, Bob Francis, says Wings Over Wairarapa is used to facing difficulty with weather issues but the uncertainty around COVID-19 has thrown up some new challenges.

“The team is able to be flexible and have looked at all the ways to produce an outstanding show which benefits the region by bringing visitors to the Wairarapa,” Mr Francis says.

Recent Wings Over Wairarapa festivals have attracted up to 25,000 people to the region.

Destination Wairarapa general manager Anna Nielson says Wings is an iconic event that provides a huge economic boost to the region.

“It is a world class event and a wonderful opportunity to showcase all of Wairarapa. I think the 2021 festival will be even more significant for the region now with the push towards domestic tourism, so I anticipate that we will see similar crowds as before, if not even bigger,” Ms Nielson says.

Tickets for Wings will be on sale in July.

Andyph

Re: Wings Over Wairarapa NZ Feb 2021

Post by Andyph »

What is the latest with TVAL?
The court case is behind them now. So do we expect normal operation?

Also thinking what this means for Omaka next year. Probably not much problem having the show. But lack of overseas punters might affect the cash they will raise.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

TVAL, very unsure how much they will come back after COVID-19 closedown. Wingnut Wings has effectively closed. The WOW announcement is carefully worded. It's worth it for me to go, as I expect there will at a minimum be a few TVAL machines on static that I haven't seen before.

Omaka will definitely be able to put on a good show. There are several replica/classic projects on the go to add to what is already based there or expected to come from elsewhere in NZ. But I expect somewhat fewer Northern Hemisphere people in the Gold Pass. We will likely be in a free-travel zone with Australia in 2-3 months. Probably a bunch of disruption with tourist-related businesses not making it until Easter.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

I thought they were just for Peter Jackson's fun.
It seems hard to make money making WW1 aircraft and keeping them flyable - but generally hangered.

So you are thinking TVAL will stop building aircraft? Sell off what they have? Stop flying?

I get the feeling the world knows something about them but I don't .

Dont mind Aussies not going to Omaka (keeps the IQ higher on this side of the ditch) unless they want to bring over aeroplanes.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Reassuring that TVAL training days at least haven't been ruled out yet, otherwise fingers crossed all round.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/p ... 15#p630779

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

This show did go ahead in Feb 21. Sadly the Sunday was cancelled due to the discovery of COVID cases in Auckland introducing limits on events.
Some of my photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/errolgc/a ... 8464448287

And very sadly the severe floods in the adjacent Hawkes Bay region using many required resources mean the Feb 24-26 Show has been postponed - date tba in several days.