A New Step Into Space

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
ianf

Re: A New Step Into Space

Post by ianf »

Hard dock completed. Sorting things out ready for opening hatch. I must say the photography was remarkable quality.The view from Dragon towards the space station was awesome. Talking of the progress made since Apollo etc. I just watched the whole event live from my PC no big TV network. Quality of image light years ahead. Dragon is a 7 seater whilst we do appear to have gone back in shape, the amount of new vehicles coming on line the next few years, Their reliability and increase capabilities, may mean that the pause that happens after Apollo. will at last start us back to the moon and beyond.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

I was amazed at how quickly it took off and cleared the tower, I was sort of expecting it to be a lot slower but guess its not carrying as much weight as the Saturn V or Shuttle did!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

verreli

Post by verreli »

BobL wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020, 11:39 am
I followed the Gemini and Apollo missions as a wannabe-astronaut and sat up through the night watching Apollo 11 with my dad, so I hope it all does signal a return to more space stuff, even though we should perhaps get the Earth sorted out first.
Sadly, you'll never ever get all the Earth bound things sorted. There'll always be something else. Sometimes you've just got to do something for the hell of it. To that I say, let's go!

JonMann

Post by JonMann »

BobL wrote:
Sun 31 May 2020, 11:39 am
I haven't really followed the SpaceX project and assume they only sent two up as that was all they needed on the ISS?
They only sent two as it was a demo/test flight.

Phil Standfield

Post by Phil Standfield »

ianf wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020, 7:39 pm
Dragon is now in orbit. Stage 1 landed back on remote ship. John I remember watching Gemini and Apollo too. Some things the same looking other totally different. The cockpit and the space suits look more at home in a Sci fi movie!😃
Thing that strikes me is the Wellie boots :grinning: they are wearing straight out of a early Sci fi movie or UFO etc

TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Hello! Where do you see in all this a new step into space?
Has he brought you any benefit? Just a rich dreamer indulges. Why not discuss the prospects of new private space companies? (There are many of them). And most of them can bring practical benefits to society right now. Launches of satellites for the Internet, meteorological observations, etc.
Do you know any of those who do real things?

CJS

Post by CJS »

TommyJ wrote:
Wed 09 Dec 2020, 11:25 am
Hello! Where do you see in all this a new step into space?
Has he brought you any benefit? Just a rich dreamer indulges. Why not discuss the prospects of new private space companies? (There are many of them). And most of them can bring practical benefits to society right now. Launches of satellites for the Internet, meteorological observations, etc.
Do you know any of those who do real things?
Welcome to UKAR.

Surely it's the mere point that it has happened that is significant. The real work can start now on the practical applications, but no one is going to have really given that much thought until they knew it was actually possible.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"