Re: The UK Airshow Review Podcast

Post by Tommy »

This is one of my favourites so far!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Genuinely loved hearing about how it was in the old days it has to be said
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

And I genuinely enjoyed chatting about it. There is so much we didn’t talk about, given the time constraint. Maybe do another one sometime if folks enjoy the nostalgic material.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

Another special guest this week - one you're sure to recognise!

Episode 9 of The UK Airshow Review Podcast brings on another special guest whose voice will be instantly recognisable to almost any UK airshow goer. Ben Dunnell can very comfortably be described as the "voice" of the British airshow and he came on the podcast to chat about his role as a show commentator as well as his full-time job as editor of Aeroplane magazine. We also briefly chat about the Shuttleworth drive-in show that was announced earlier in the week.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

so glad to hear Ben's dulcet tones once more

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

A special episode out today! Well, as it's RIAT week :wink:

What better to mark our tenth episode, in the week that RIAT itself would have taken place this year, than to have genuine airshow royalty on the show? We speak to Tim Prince, one of the original co-founders of what was in 1971 the Embassy Air Tattoo and until 2014 the CEO of the RAF Charitable Trust Enterprises, about all things RIAT past, present and future, what he's been up to since stepping down and what it took to build the show into what it has become today. For anyone who has been to the Air Tattoo this is a truly fascinating listen.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

This is an absolutely gold plated listen - its superb!

Mr OAG

Post by Mr OAG »

Looking forward to hearing this one..met Tim at Brize Norton earlier in the year and found out he was originally from my old home town of Wallingford,Oxon and would (mis-)spend his youth like me on Spotters Corner art RAF Benson(albeit many years before I did)
Abingdon Air & Country Show
www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk

Oxfordshire Aviation Group

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Ben Dunnell and Tim Prince were both excellent and fascinating - great additions to the Podcast.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

To round off the week, we'll have one more very special guest podcast which will be released later today!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Another RIAT themed guest today who is even a regular poster on the forums!

We have yet another special guest from the airshow world on the podcast this episode in the form of Peter Reoch. Pete was formerly the Operations Manager for Cosford Air Show but took over in 2021 from Tom Gibbons as Head of Air Ops at the Royal International Air Tattoo. We spoke to Pete about his career, how he got the job at the biggest military air show in the world and the unfortunate reality of having his first one cancelled.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Just a reminder that the podcast is also up on Spotify and Apple Podcasts - and if you use another podcast provider the RSS feed is also available at www.airshows.co.uk/podcast

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I've slowed down on listening to these - not through lack of interest, but lack of time. Just caught up with the Tim Prince episode and I have to say it was fantastic. What a great coup.

No doubt you've got lots lined up, but for what its worth - i'd love to hear an interview with Roger Hoefling. No doubt lots of fantastic insider stories from Air Fetes of old.

Great work chaps, keep them coming.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

We should be returning to a "one a week" schedule from now on haha - but it was great to be able to get these interviews out in RIAT week. Thanks have to go to Ian in particular for his mighty editing work getting these out in time!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

I lied! But just a really short episode tonight:

After the whirlwind releases of RIAT week we have a short episode for you today. Dom, Dan and Sam had a very quick chat about our thoughts on the Virtual Air Tattoo which was hosted online in place of the regular and cancelled RIAT this year. We also briefly looked at the successful Old Warden Drive-in Show.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

great work again guys. particularly enjoyed the one with Peter Reoch

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Click click click!

In this return to the regular weekly format, Ian, Sam and Tom chat about that most fundamental aspect of the hobby - photography. Especially over lockdown we've been going back to old albums and bringing them up to date with our current editing knowledge, and that got us talking about airshow photography in general. Tom also provides some totally-not-legally-binding-or-court-admissible advice about the often misunderstood field of image copyright.

Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Really enjoyed this one, I think a rich topic for future podcasts... As an oldie used to managing precious rolls of Kodachrome it’s amazing our far the hobby has progressed as a result of digital photography. Still my success rate is probably constant 1:20 a keeper :-)

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I actually got an old but seemingly working Smena 8M off eBay last week. I've never used film before and really fancy trying my hand at it. Granted, an old, 70s Soviet camera might not be the ideal learning tool but I bet it's fun enough. Can't wait to use up my film quicker than I realise!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Talk about Little and Large in more ways than one!

We discuss two of the weekend's main events in this episode: the arrival and departure of the world's largest aircraft, the Antonov An-225 Mriya at Prestwick and the Shuttleworth Collection's At the Movies drive-in show.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

👀

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Dan bares all in this episode

As mentioned on previous episodes, our own Dan Ledwood used to fly for Flybe before they went into administration. We got him to tell us about the route he took to becoming a commercial pilot - learning to fly, getting his CPL and what it was like actually flying passengers around. This is a very personal episode that will be of interest to anyone looking to go into the world of commercial aviation. Plus, find out which airfield café has the best fry-up 😉

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

On this week's UKAR Podcast episode we're joined by Red 1, Squadron Leader Martin Pert, to chat about the Red Arrows! We go back to last year to talk about the team's 2019 North American tour & look at how they've met the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Who remembers this demo?

Airshow-goers at Yeovilton International Air Day 2017 will remember the extraordinary French Navy Rafale M pairs display that stole the show and won the Best Fixed Wing Display Award. We speak to Até, the lead pilot of that display and French Navy combat veteran, about his career in the navy, the tough world of carrier aviation, airshow displaying and what he's up to now after leaving the military.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

And a second one for you tonight. Bonus episode:

People have been playing flight sims for decades. For those without the means to fly the real deal flight simulators are the best way to get that feeling of taking to the air and cover all sorts of aviation from the smallest Cessnas, the fastest fighters to the biggest Antonovs. It's long been a very niche genre of video gaming and at the most-in-depth end an expensive hobby as well, but the new Microsoft Flight Simulator has taken the world by storm and opened it up to a huge, new audience. Nick and Sam have been playing it a fair bit since release and give their review of it (spoiler - we love it), and we also chat with Dan about the flight sim world in general.