The UK Airshow Review Podcast

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

The UK Airshow Review Podcast

Post by UK Airshow Review »

We are thrilled to announce and release the first few episodes of the UK Airshow Review Podcast.

This is something that a few of the staff team have been working on throughout lockdown. We've gone for an informal "pub-chat" sort of feel whilst we learn the ropes. You'll notice that audio-quality improves by the third episode, and hopefully we will be able to expand this to include interviews and discussions with airshow organisers and those within the industry. As time moves on we'll also include other staff members to chat about their memories, expertise, and their love of the hobby.

We're our own worst critics, but please let us know what you think, and what you'd like to hear us discuss next!

Without further ado, please click the image to go to our new podcast page:

We have also kept the old Display Frequency podcasts done by DanO back in the day, should anyone feel like re-listening to those.

Cheers,

Sam, Ian, Tom, "dwad", and Dom.

MiG_Eater

Re: The UK Airshow Review Podcast

Post by MiG_Eater »

Just listened to the first two guys - really enjoyed them. The audio quality is not necessarily professional quality in places, but that really doesn't matter - quality content over quality sound every time.

Not to get too philosophical about it but it really gets me pining for some actual verbal contact with fellow enthusiasts. The forum is great for disseminating information but the easy back and forth of real conversation is often (rightly) regarded as spam in a forum context.

I think it also felt a bit strange hearing the voice of someone like Tommy - who i've had pretty heated disagreements with in the burning cauldron of 'Off Topic' yet I like to think that on the fence line we could have a reasonable chat and go home at the end of the day feeling like airshow-mates.

Keep these up guys - even when the shows return, its a great format!

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Thanks for the feedback! We are working on the audio quality and we've made great strides forward in the last two episodes we've recorded. If there is anything that you want us to discuss, let us know.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The quality improves significantly in the third episode and onwards from my own POV.
MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 01 Jun 2020, 9:16 am
I think it also felt a bit strange hearing the voice of someone like Tommy - who i've had pretty heated disagreements with in the burning cauldron of 'Off Topic' yet I like to think that on the fence line we could have a reasonable chat and go home at the end of the day feeling like airshow-mates.
It’s always worth remembering that we are all much more than what we appear to be on forums. I’ve said many times in the Brexit thread that I’d happily have beers with everyone in there, whether we agreed or not.

I’m also not someone who is constantly always on the anti-Brexit or “tory bashing agenda”. When there’s actual planes to watch or discuss, I’m completely disinterested in politics or other such guff.

It’s important that we view people in that way, rather than the caricature we build of someone in our own minds based entirely off their internet presence.

Anyway, please keep listening, let us know what you think, whether you agree, disagree, like some things but not others. It’s hopefully very much the pub-chat vibe.

Cole

Post by Cole »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 01 Jun 2020, 9:16 am

I promise he's a good guy in real life! Spent many hours with him on the station, sadly not this year tho :(
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Thoughts are based on the 1st podcast, but I enjoyed it. The relaxed conversation was fine and I particularly enjoyed the brief discussion on classic Jet aircraft (primarily the Hunter and Canberra) which seem to have suffered horrendously, since the Shoreham accident - you can, sadly, understand why. But I would like to see this explored further, perhaps in future podcasts and whether the UK scene will see a resurgence, like we once had. Less about what caused the change, but now after 5 years whether anything can be salvaged and inspire us once more.

Tom discussing the Greece and Turkish aircraft taxiing nose-to-tail (not quiet!) at RIAT made me laugh - you and me both, mate. When you see that sort of thing it's hard not to think of the politics that can be so fragile between two countries. Not to worry, we're here for the celebration. :laughing:

Look forward to listening to the remaining podcasts, when time allows.

Cheers.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

It would be good, perhaps, to get a classic jet operator to join us on the pod for an episode and chat about what the classic jet scene looks like from the inside.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Episode 4: Write or Wrong

In episode 4 of The UK Airshow Review Podcast we check in on how we're all coping with lockdown, and Dan gives us an idea of how the commercial aviation world is faring through the COVID-19 crisis.

We also talk about how we first joined the UKAR staff team and elaborate on what writing reviews of airshows involves and what the hardest shows to write about really are.

Logster

Post by Logster »

Really enjoyed the podcast gents. Apart from the Pilot Episodes podcast which I enjoy (but the sound is so bad it’s often unlistenable!) I haven’t found an aviation podcast that I get along with yet. This one might be it! A level of nerdiness similar to my own and without the ‘elitism’ of some in the hobby. Thanks for doing it and Keep up the good work!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Logster wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 8:32 am
Really enjoyed the podcast gents. Apart from the Pilot Episodes podcast which I enjoy (but the sound is so bad it’s often unlistenable!) I haven’t found an aviation podcast that I get along with yet. This one might be it! A level of nerdiness similar to my own and without the ‘elitism’ of some in the hobby. Thanks for doing it and Keep up the good work!
That’s exactly the vibe we’re going for, so I’m glad that you like it.

And ofc, if anyone has anything they’d like to see discussed, let us know either by PM or on here.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I have some feedback:

Try to keep mic levels the same, rather than one contributor quiet then another booming.

I enjoyed the podcast about writing reviews. Felt like the discussion could have been a bit more structured in places, it seemed to lose its way in places.

Would be great to have interviews with people in the industry, pilots, organisers etc. A bit more solid content.

What about something to engage listener participation too, a competition maybe, to add interest?

I quite like the un polished feel though. A bit less produced than the old DF, which is not a bad thing.

Overall, enjoying them so well done!

Mr OAG

Post by Mr OAG »

WELL DONE....interesting and amusing/entertaining at the same time and looking forward to future episodes.
Personally found 1,3,4 ,2 to be the main order of interest for me(never have done,nor likey to do,Mach Loop so I couldn't really relate to it hence last place in terms of interest for me)

Keep up the good work :-)
Abingdon Air & Country Show
www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk

Oxfordshire Aviation Group

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 07 Jun 2020, 11:08 am
I have some feedback:

Try to keep mic levels the same, rather than one contributor quiet then another booming.

That's a good start, but this can be fixed quite easily in post with compression/normalisation or just mixing.

Happy to help if needed!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

With a man down this week airshow industry "experts" Sam, Dan, Dom and Tom talk about some new additions to the UK warbird scene, the announcement that the RAF Typhoon Display would not be this year and have a retrospective on the biggest event of 2019, the Daks over Normandy events. We also chat about the ins and outs of moderating a large and active forum such as UKAR's.

Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Great start... really appreciate the conversation on moderation never a easy task - Look forward to the next show.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I was waaaaay too drunk for this episode. Tier 4 at least.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Great podcast again lads. Look forward to that pint sometime Tommy!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Episode 6 of The UK Airshow Review Podcast is up! We chat about the great news of the Virtual Air Tattoo and the awful news of the Bruntingthorpe ultimatum. Plus some dad jokes.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Special episode today: Our first guest on the show!

This week's episode sees Ian, Sam and Dom chatting to the podcast's first special guest. The Swiss Air Force's PC-7 TEAM have been displaying on the airshow circuit for over 30 years now and are recognised for the precision and gracefulness of their airborne routines. All the pilots that fly in the team are also full-time fighter pilots with the Swiss Air Force.

The team's leader, Major Cyril "Johnny" Johner came on the pod to tell us about, among other things, what it takes to be a member of the display team, how you prepare for and carry out a display and how the coronavirus crisis has impacted their 2020 season.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Have to say this was a blast to do - really excited that we've got it out for everyone to listen to. Brilliant work by Ian to arrange it.

We've got plenty of guests in the pipeline as well, some really familiar names and industry figures who will hopefully bring the pod some top insight into the airshow scene
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

mindy_monster

Post by mindy_monster »

Just to say that I'm really looking forward to listening to these. Podcasts are my walk to work routine, which won't re-start till August, so I've got them saved ready to enjoy!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Well we'll hopefully have a good backlog for you come August, I only hope it's worth the wait haha

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

started binge listening today.... it's interesting

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

The forum's Wrexham Mackem joins us for this episode!

Join us as we jump in the DeLorean and have a look back at the airshows of yore with fellow UKAR team member Nigel Watson. Nige gives us youngsters an idea of what shows in the distant past were like, how much has changed over the decades, and we have a crack at deciding if the shows of the old days really were better than today or not. Between us we also look back at our own first airshow memories.