Llanbedr May 1990

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
st24

Llanbedr May 1990

Post by st24 »

Hello, remember me?!
Well I've taken the plunge and re-subscribed to photobucket which I'm instantly regretting as it's such a slow, clunky, messy affair but I just can't be arsed to transfer all my images across to Flickr, so bear with the downgraded quality which I'll obviously blame on them , not me!

These went down well on SM so here's XS577, XP924's sister Vixen that was dragged out as a make shift gate guard at Llanbedr for a few years before, inevitably, it got scrapped. This bird had a red nose rather than a Yellow one, otherwise was identical to G-VIXN before Red bull got hold of her. Also some heavily cropped shots of a Jindivik drone with a shepherd Hawk, XX154 - the very first one, here taken with the only lens I had with me at the time, I think an 80-200 manual focus Tokina job.

You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Llanbedr May 1990

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Very nice to see, and yet stirring up all that frustration in that the day to day of Llanbedr is one of those things I never got round to seeing close up.

Ace post Geoff.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Great stuff mate, the drone Sea Vixens were all painted slightly differently, 577 curving up with matching booms, 924 curving down and another I've seen with straight lines, the tug at Gatwick was also earmarked for the programme, not sure if they were going to bother with a repaint on that one.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

Oh those are brilliant. I remember around 1987 I think... getting my Dad to drive me 4 hours to Wales so I could sit for the day on Shell Island hoping to glimpse a Sea Vixen in the air. Alas they never flew and I was quite disappointed only to see Meteor and Canberra! I'd give my right arm for days like that now.

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

Happy days. Trips to Llanbedr could be really hit and miss. We used to camp at nearby Shell Island when my daughter was little in the early 90’s. Apart from the sun, sea and sand we were treated to some really great action in the air. The pilots would often put on impromptu displays to try and burn off fuel after an operational sortie. I distinctly remember a pair of silver Canberra’s performing multiple loops whilst in formation over several days.

I believe Sea Vixen XS577 was reduced to a nose section and now belongs to a “collector” in Switzerland, which seems a slightly bizarre outcome.

Great photos by the way.