The one you'd save from a fire...

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
CJS

The one you'd save from a fire...

Post by CJS »

I don't know if this has been done on the modelling section of UKAR before, but I'm interested - what is the one model you would save if the house was burning down (assuming your loved ones and pets are safe...or not necessarily :shock: )

One model and why.

I model very rarely, and very badly when I do (although I stop by here every so often to marvel at your brilliance). However, I do have some of my Grandfather's models and this one is the one I would grab. Not the best one he ever made, but the last one he completed, shortly after I flew G-LTFC as a 30th birthday present back in 2008. He found the partly completed model in a box of partly completed models, and despite his arthritis - which had stopped him from doing any other modelling since the late 90s - he was determined to finish and paint it for me.

Excuse the crappy phone photo too, sorry.

G-LTFC by Chris Strawson, on Flickr
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

FarnboroJohn

Re: The one you'd save from a fire...

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Hi Chris,

I liked your post, but it's taken me this long to sort some pictures of the model.

You may have noticed I have a thing for Mosquitos and 633 Squadron: it goes back all the way to school when I used to amuse friends with my own stories of the squadron reconstituted as a Reserve unit with a mix of B35s with a machine gun nose and FB24s, a prototype eight-gun Mossie with two stage Merlins that wasn't produced in numbers. So later, when Gulf War 1 happened, I did a what-if in 1:72 for old times sake: RHWR in the tail, Hellfires under the wings, desert pink paint over camo showing through due to wear, and given the oddity of prop aircraft in the coalition, the same recognition stripes as our choppers used. No national markings but individuals' nose art etc reapplied over.

I've had it a long time, and it provokes memories of old friends and good times as well as being at the time one of my better efforts, even though I ducked extending the engine nacelles forward or adding six rather than five-stack exhausts.

Now I've dusted it, here's a couple of pix - one desk top and a couple of poor mash-ups to show different angles.

Perhaps others may still join in.

Cheers

John

Image7T8A3975 by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image7T8A3983 by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image7T8A3984 copy by John Dixon, on Flickr

CJS

Re: The one you'd save from a fire...

Post by CJS »

Nice John. A lovely model and an interesting story, that's what I'd hoped for. Thank you đź‘Ť
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.