Sunday 2 August – Drive-in Airshow (At the Movies)

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
andygolfer

Re: Sunday 2 August – Drive-in Airshow (At the Movies)

Post by andygolfer »

I'm going again, one additional thing to look out for around 5pm if it sticks to it's schedule is the An.225 going Prestwick to Chateauroux.
Dare I suggest the largest aircraft ever seen at old Warden even if it's at 30000ft!!
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm looking forward to this one. Great line up and I'm interested to see how the format works.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

andygolfer wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020, 7:28 pm
I'm going again, one additional thing to look out for around 5pm if it sticks to it's schedule is the An.225 going Prestwick to Chateauroux.
Dare I suggest the largest aircraft ever seen at old Warden even if it's at 30000ft!!
No way OW can convince Antonov Airlines for a cheeky flypast? 😂
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Wissam24 wrote:
Sat 01 Aug 2020, 6:18 pm
andygolfer wrote:
Fri 31 Jul 2020, 7:28 pm
No way OW can convince Antonov Airlines for a cheeky flypast? 😂
Round the dog leg? :scream:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

That was jolly good fun, loved the huey and the bell.

Benefits of being sat by your car meant that I could lock my gear up in it to wander off for a comfort break without any issues, along with easy access to snacks and other drinks without worrying about jostling for position as everyone had to do the same.

Downsides of this meant that the runway was obscured by car roofs and things if you weren't within the first 2 rows so takeoff and landing photos were nigh on impossible in C paddock.

I liked being able to tune my own radio into the broadcast frequency as it meant I could enjoy the commentary much more easily.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

I must say, today was brilliant. Organisation was spot on, so congrats to all at shuttleworth for putting on a great event. I arrived at half 10 and was at the front of the fourth (!) row of the holding field. When parked, I was positioned a few rows back from where I would normally sit (on the bend to the right of the tower), so no complaints there.
Really liked having the commentary via radio. I brought an old hand held, which meant I could hear clearly what was going on, or just turn it off!
As for the flying, it was Shuttleworth, and that's all that needs to be said. It felt like any other airshow I've been to, it was all that well done.

Thanks to all the team at shuttleworth, and hopefully I'll make it back again before the year is out.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Personally, the organisation of the parking seemed very chaotic today and a big step back from the last show. Those parking the cars seemed to be in a flap and all over the place with some cars on the left, some in the middle and some on the right of their boxes. This resulted in some people being sat quite close without the system of last time that worked so well in getting everyone to park on the left and sit on the right hence creating a barrier for social distancing etc between each group. Just didn't work as well today at all from what I experienced and saw. It also seemed like there were a lot more people trying to walk up and down the crowdline before the show to get up close to the parked aircraft, and a lot less acceptance to the stewards asking them to return to their boxes, which was disappointing to see.

In terms of the show itself and the flying display. It was superb. A lot of diversity in the programme and felt very different and fresh from the previous event. Highlights for me were the Jetsream, trio of Tutor, DH51 & DH60X, Parnell Elf and was great to see the Pawnee - I can't recall seeing one for a few years and think they have so much character. Was great to see the barnstorming display withe the double limbo and also really enjoyed the Wingwalkers today. Was great to see some of their pre display preparation that you seldom get to see and they have such great presence at a venue like Old Warden.

A few bits that were a shame and felt like a step down from last time n terms of the organisation for me, but thoroughly enjoyed the day and the show and looking forward to the next one.

As an aside...it seems strange that they are still selling the regular tickets for the September show online when they were announcing and promoting both September events as a drive ins. Surely they need to be taken down as will just be more to go through the refund and rebooking process if they already know it is going to be a drive in.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Yesterday was my first time back at Old Warden this year and what a day it was. Congratulations to everyone at the Shuttleworth, it was well organised and I felt quite safe. I arrived shortly after the gates had opened and was directed into the holding area. I waited about 35 minutes or so until it was my turn, ticket checks were quick and parking was well managed.

I was in Block B about seven rows back from the fence but because it's on a slope you get a good view from pretty much everywhere. I really enjoyed the day, it was good to be out in the sun again with planes in the air. The flying was Shuttleworth through and through and I especially enjoyed the Jetstream, the Barnstorming and the Wingwalkers.

Generally people were considerate and distanced appropriately except the woman from the car directly in front of me who decided to pass within two feet of me, never mind two meters and then did the same to the family next door on the way back. That's despite the fact that the access roadway was only two car bays away. I did see some people carrying cameras walking about but they were the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of people around me stayed in their marked bays other than to use the facilities. Everything was well laid out, well marked with plenty of hand sanitiser available. Well done everybody involved.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I couldn’t make it to the first Shuttleworth drive in airshow, so I can’t compare to how yesterday’s show fared to that one, but here are my thoughts……

I arrived in the ‘holding’ area just before 11.30 and after getting my ticket scanned, I snaked along and was one of the last cars to be parked in Zone B, in the far south west corner, near the tree line at the back. With crowd centre currently moved further to the south, it resulted in each display only being visible either straight ahead or to the left (like watching an airshow staring straight ahead with your right eye closed!). This probably only effects 10 to 30 cars in this area, but I did hear a few other nearby occupants mention the same issue.

Also, this part of the car park is in a dip that slopes away from the display line (which must be the only part of the showground that slopes in this direction!). Both issues combined did leave me feeling distant from the show, almost like you’ve been invited to a garden party but have to enjoy this from next doors garden while jumping on a trampoline!

The show’s content was excellent, with the Jetstream display being the pick for me. It was good to see a theme being stuck to throughout the show as well. I only ventured outside my box once to head to the loo and it all seemed well organised and safe.

Overall, I came away with mixed feelings, but having thought that I would not see an airshow in 2020, this outweighs the negatives.
Last edited by SuffolkBlue on Mon 03 Aug 2020, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

A cracking day, I really enjoyed myself. The organisation seemed very efficient, and there was a great selection of display items. My own personal highlights were Dodge Bailey in the Jetstream and PK's exemplary display of low-level aerobatics in the Jungmann, plus any JR Spitfire display is worth paying attention to. Oh, and it was nice being able to listen to the aeroplanes without commentary - Shuttleworth, please, please keep to this arrangement for future displays.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Had another cracking day at Shuttleworth, boy do this place know how to display aircraft!!

Highlights of the day for me were the Jetstream, what a great display from a rarely seen type these day’s. John Romains flypast has got to be the best flypast I've ever seen, just got to love that man in a Spit. Bucker Jungmann deserves a mention as well what a great little plane.

A shame the Comet spent more time behind us than in front but these things happen.

Only downside to the whole day was arriving at 8.30 and being held where they check tickets till gate opening. This was great we thought as only about 15 cars and guaranteed front row. Oh no, they decide to park us in a piece of field with about 4 cars per row and end up 5 rows back. I’m sorry but when Zone A has about 30 cars along its front row there is no reason we should have been shoehorned into a silly area. Soured a great day out and hope they learn from this for future!!!!!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Albion143 wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:16 am
...Jetstream, what a great display from a rarely seen type these day’s.
I doubt there has been a Jetstream display anywhere since the last Royal Navy ones were retired close to a decade ago now, and I doubt there will ever be another one as the Cranfield example is due for retirement this year.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Mike wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 12:31 pm
Albion143 wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 11:16 am
...Jetstream, what a great display from a rarely seen type these day’s.
I doubt there has been a Jetstream display anywhere since the last Royal Navy ones were retired close to a decade ago now, and I doubt there will ever be another one as the Cranfield example is due for retirement this year.
You are probably very correct there, hasn’t even considered that. Time does really chug along doesn’t it.

Before this show I didn’t even know they had one. Such a shame a lovely plane that should be kept in the sky. Do you know of any other airworthy ones in the U.K.?

Mike

Post by Mike »

I think that’s the only operational one in the UK now, but Eastern Airways have about a dozen of the larger Jetstream 41.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »