Battle of Britain Airshow 2020 - Cancelled

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Battle of Britain Airshow 2020 - Cancelled

Post by UKTopgun »

Night time sewing machine runs (floodlit)

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sat 12 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm
I don't know why people find the quilt festival so funny. Yeah it's not my bag, but to each their own. (Might be a pun in there, not sure - no, hold on a minute, QUILTBAG means something else apparently...)

Seriously, I don't think the words "fun" and "run" belong together in a sentence, but if Duxford benefit from the Duxford Dash 5K and 10K, good for them.

PS. Nice Po-2 reference, well done.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

AFKAMC wrote:
Sat 12 Sep 2020, 8:28 pm
UKTopgun wrote:
Sat 12 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm
I don't know why people find the quilt festival so funny. Yeah it's not my bag, but to each their own. (Might be a pun in there, not sure - no, hold on a minute, QUILTBAG means something else apparently...)

Seriously, I don't think the words "fun" and "run" belong together in a sentence, but if Duxford benefit from the Duxford Dash 5K and 10K, good for them.

PS. Nice Po-2 reference, well done.
I've seen a Dash 7 there but not the other two!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Sat 12 Sep 2020, 4:34 pm
Oh no :scream: The Duxford Autumn Quilt Show has been cancelled as well. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Brian
Duvet know why?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I guess it will take some time for this event to bedding. No more jokes please guys, you have all had me in stitches...

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

All sounds like pillow talk to me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

BobL

Post by BobL »

Had they planned to impose a 2m size restriction on the quilts?...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

DanH

Post by DanH »

BobL wrote:
Mon 14 Sep 2020, 12:46 pm
Had they planned to impose a 2m size restriction on the quilts?...
I'd heard it was a blanket ban...
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Interesting news today that Aero Legends are going ahead with their airshow at Headcorn. Part of me feels that if Duxford really wanted to host this show, they could’ve used the showcase days as trial runs, set up cones, paint lines for social distancing etc but from what I read, there was nothing.

BobL

Post by BobL »

Maybe AL are keeping the ticket numbers to a level that the local authorities felt could still safely observe the new guidelines?
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm
Interesting news today that Aero Legends are going ahead with their airshow at Headcorn. Part of me feels that if Duxford really wanted to host this show, they could’ve used the showcase days as trial runs, set up cones, paint lines for social distancing etc but from what I read, there was nothing.
With respect, but do you have any evidence that Duxford didn't really want to host this show? There is of course the very real possibility that the local authorities had the deciding vote given the recent changes going on.
Something which I've also not seen considered was the moral implications of running the show, can you imagine the backlash if IWM had gone ahead with a 15000 capacity show just days after other events had been cancelled and the sports pilot events have all been put on hold? I can almost see the headlines now, "Red Arrows display draws thousands of selfish idiots to Duxford to watch daredevil stunt pilot flying death traps"

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Gt5500 wrote:
Wed 16 Sep 2020, 9:03 am
Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Tue 15 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm
With respect, but do you have any evidence that Duxford didn't really want to host this show? There is of course the very real possibility that the local authorities had the deciding vote given the recent changes going on.
Something which I've also not seen considered was the moral implications of running the show, can you imagine the backlash if IWM had gone ahead with a 15000 capacity show just days after other events had been cancelled and the sports pilot events have all been put on hold? I can almost see the headlines now, "Red Arrows display draws thousands of selfish idiots to Duxford to watch daredevil stunt pilot flying death traps"
I also wonder if it was the possibility of adverse publicity that mainly caused the cancellation? The event was planned with covid in mind from the start, so you have to assume that the practical difficulties had all been dealt with. Of course most where expecting the situation still to be improving at this time. A great shame regardless, as the IWM must have made additional losses in the planning and susequent cancellation.

fiesty fox

Post by fiesty fox »

Sywell pistons and props still going ahead I believe with thousands expected .

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

fiesty fox wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 8:45 am
Good luck to them and I wish them well, but how? The rule of 6 applies surely? I also see that the Bicester Sunday Scramble is still on on 4th October. I have tickets for this one and was hoping to take the Jeep too??
...Rad shutters auto.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

keithjs wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 10:46 am
fiesty fox wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 8:45 am
Good luck to them and I wish them well, but how? The rule of 6 applies surely? I also see that the Bicester Sunday Scramble is still on on 4th October. I have tickets for this one and was hoping to take the Jeep too??
As has been mentioned on this thread already why would the rule of 6 prevent them holding a show? It's not like before the rule of 6 came it that the show was limited to 30 visitors. The only difference is now if you go with more than 6 friends or family you can't all sit together.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

OK, I'm confused... So if not the rule of 6, its going to be very difficult to follow social distancing rules surely..? 'with thousands expected'.....
Don't get me wrong I really hope the event happens,( we need something positive at the moment, lets face it) but I can't see why others cancel their events (horse racing comes to mind and the recent boat show) when the same rules apply to them particularly with possibly thousands of people attending?
...Rad shutters auto.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

keithjs wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 12:20 pm
OK, I'm confused... So if not the rule of 6, its going to be very difficult to follow social distancing rules surely..? 'with thousands expected'.....
Don't get me wrong I really hope the event happens,( we need something positive at the moment, lets face it) but I can't see why others cancel their events (horse racing comes to mind and the recent boat show) when the same rules apply to them particularly with possibly thousands of people attending?
Firstly, this show has been cancelled so its not going ahead.
Secondly, the rule of 6 is actually perfectly simple. You cannot gather in a group of more than 6 people. Multiple groups can gather in places (parks, pubs, airfields) as long as no group exceeds 6. Easy!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Oh dear what a shame! That's it then, other than Shuttleworth that's the end of the season...such as it was..I would imagine Bicester will be next?
Also as I understand, anyone within those groups can't mingle with anyone from another group. That's what's stuffed our model club meeting this month ( and more months to follow I would think) because the whole essence is to chat with everyone. We have about 25 members so even tho' the hall is fairly large and can accommodate us easily we can't in effect move around..
Thanks for all the input anyway.
...Rad shutters auto.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Headcorn?

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

keithjs wrote:
Thu 17 Sep 2020, 12:20 pm
Under certain circumstances you can still have thousands attend just that those thousands must not consist of groups of people larger than 6. As far as I am aware there are no actual rules that have prevented this event and others from being run. To repeat, the rule of 6 does not prevent events happening, otherwise before Monday the event would have been limited to 30 visitors.
What I think has happened (and this is speculation) is either the local authorities have pulled the plug due to the worry of all the outside visitors or the organisers have cancelled on moral grounds.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Aquarious wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 7:52 am
Headcorn?
This thread is about the Duxford show. There is a separate thread for Headcorn

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Mike wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 11:39 am
Aquarious wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 7:52 am
Headcorn?
I think that was in response to the question of what else was left this year.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

by Gt5500 » Fri 18 Sep 2020, 2:03 pm

Mike wrote: ↑
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 12:39 pm

Aquarious wrote: ↑
Fri 18 Sep 2020, 8:52 am
Headcorn?

I think that was in response to the question of what else was left this year.
Thanks Gt5500, you are correct. keithjs commented that 'other than Shuttleworth that's the end of the season'. I hope not, but lets not stray into that debate lest Mike misunderstands again.

In a Maze

Post by In a Maze »

If the world was in a better place, I should be walking up and down the trade stands at Duxford right now on day one of the Battle of Britain airshow, on what looks like being a glorious weekend. :disappointed_relieved:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

In a Maze wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 9:20 am
If the world was in a better place, I should be walking up and down the trade stands at Duxford right now on day one of the Battle of Britain airshow, on what looks like being a glorious weekend. :disappointed_relieved:
Yes indeed, so would I. I'd have just had a coffee in the middle cafe and be making my way across to Simon on the Aviation Bookshop stand.....then onto the flightline walk. Oh happy days....
...Rad shutters auto.