BA retires entire Boeing 747 fleet

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Binbrook 01

Re: BA retires entire Boeing 747 fleet

Post by Binbrook 01 »

As nobody has come forward yet with confirmation it is saved, And yes I saw the news yesterday morning.

Perhaps sit tight and wait to see who has applied to buy it. No idea who allocated which airframes to locations but maybe that is why?

shorsley

Post by shorsley »

Zoom wrote:
Thu 08 Oct 2020, 7:43 pm
Tend to agree but I doubt the only reason G-CIVB was chosen was its livery. They have a Concorde in Chatham livery although not that accessible at the moment. There are BEA / BOAC / Landor liveries at Duxford IIRC
There is one historically accurate Negus aircraft already in preservation, and an inaccurate 40% scale model also in Negus.
"I have a good pilot and a safe pilot."

Flickr

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Zoom wrote:
PeterR wrote:
Thu 08 Oct 2020, 6:39 pm
capercaillie wrote:
Thu 08 Oct 2020, 11:56 am
Anyone know the reason the Negus scheme aircraft has been selected for preservation (if it happens)? I like retro schemes and these are very well done, but for a 747-400 in regular service, it would have been better saving one of the others at Kemble or the Landor if you really wanted a retro scheme one?
Glad to know I'm not the only person with this view! Should be a standard Chatham Dockyard scheme to be representative of the fleet if only one is preserved, or the Landor as that's a historically correct -400 colour scheme. Neither Negus or BOAC colours were worn by the -400 fleet. Same for military aircraft, should be standard "squadron jets" preserved in Museums as a representative example rather than special commemorative paint schemes.
Tend to agree but I doubt the only reason G-CIVB was chosen was its livery. They have a Concorde in Chatham livery although not that accessible at the moment. There are BEA / BOAC / Landor liveries at Duxford IIRC

As a train enthusiast I know the importance of preserving examples of things in their correct liveries but there are so many diverse examples and only a few can be retained
+3 - id’ve thought Chatham would be most appropriate as a preservation.

But also as noted, the news broke on Twitter yesterday, but I’ve yet to see anything official confirming Negus’ preservation.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I’ll have to re-find the Tweet as Twitter did that annoying auto refresh thing, but it’s been confirmed that some airframes (presumably those still Cardiff) are still to fly out (mention of some “interesting destinations” for some), so a chance yet for BOAC and Landor.

I guess we’ll have to see.

Edit: here it is

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Zoom wrote:
As a train enthusiast I know the importance of preserving examples of things in their correct liveries but there are so many diverse examples and only a few can be retained
As someone that loves trains (not an enthusiast) I much preferred Flying Scotsman in its incorrect LNER livery than when I saw it last year in its correct livery. I'm sure this will have some people spitting their coffee out :sweat_smile:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

shorsley wrote:
Thu 08 Oct 2020, 8:57 pm
Zoom wrote:
There is one historically accurate Negus aircraft already in preservation, and an inaccurate 40% scale model also in Negus.
There used to be 3 sat nicely together as Cosford including the only remaining Conway engined 707 and Trident 1c. Some of the VC10 is now elsewhere. That didn't end particularly well.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Gt5500 wrote:
Fri 09 Oct 2020, 8:27 am
Zoom wrote:
As someone that loves trains (not an enthusiast) I much preferred Flying Scotsman in its incorrect LNER livery than when I saw it last year in its correct livery. I'm sure this will have some people spitting their coffee out :sweat_smile:
Why is the LNER incorrect? the loco was built in 1923 25 years before BR existed. Talking of incorrect liveries I got into trouble many years ago when the lab manager brought his beautiful OO LMS liveried Royal Scot model in, I said "you can't run that as an authentic LMS period loco as it's got the rebuilt boiler that was only done in BR days" (i never wanted to be a biochemist anyway much preferred haematology!)

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

shorsley wrote:
Zoom wrote:
It may just be that the Negus example is one of the most recently repainted so more suitable for static display outside in the UK?

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Zoom wrote:
Fri 09 Oct 2020, 8:48 am

Why is the LNER incorrect? the loco was built in 1923 25 years before BR existed. Talking of incorrect liveries I got into trouble many years ago when the lab manager brought his beautiful OO LMS liveried Royal Scot model in, I said "you can't run that as an authentic LMS period loco as it's got the rebuilt boiler that was only done in BR days" (i never wanted to be a biochemist anyway much preferred haematology!)
Very similar reason to what you just said. It's got a different chimney and the German style smoke deflectors that were only carried in BR days

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

It is only a coat of paint !! Let's be thankful that somebody is thinking about saving it from the scrapman. If the 747 is still around in ten years time then will be the time to discuss what colour to paint it.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020, 8:17 am
It is only a coat of paint !! Let's be thankful that somebody is thinking about saving it from the scrapman. If the 747 is still around in ten years time then will be the time to discuss what colour to paint it.
^^

This - you can paint any aircraft in any livery. More important to make sure you get the best example available for preservation into preservation and at a site where it will be secured for the future and open to the public.

Even for the 'notebook and Thermos' brigade of spotters on UKAR this is peak pedantry to not want a particular airframe preserved simply due to its current livery. (And for the record the 'Chatham Dockyard' livery is horrible but I wouldn't dismiss an airframe from potential preservation just because it was painted that way currently)

But we all know that a lot of spotters are a bit that way inclined. I can still recall Pete Waterman saying people sent him death threats because they felt the shade of green he had painted the 'Flying Scotsman' was incorrect!

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

speedbird2639 wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020, 9:19 am
(And for the record the 'Chatham Dockyard' livery is horrible but I wouldn't dismiss an airframe from potential preservation just because it was painted that way currently)
Where does the Chatham Dockyard moniker come from, for what I presume is a reference to the current BA scheme?

Mike

Post by Mike »

GeeRam wrote:Where does the Chatham Dockyard moniker come from, for what I presume is a reference to the current BA scheme?
https://www.britishairways.com/100/stor ... e-liveries

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

capercaillie wrote:
Fri 09 Oct 2020, 8:44 am
shorsley wrote:
Zoom wrote:
There used to be 3 sat nicely together as Cosford including the only remaining Conway engined 707 and Trident 1c. Some of the VC10 is now elsewhere. That didn't end particularly well.
There is still one complete Conway powered 707 airframe still in existence in Europe with ex EL Al series 458 aircraft 4X-ATB painted in fading period Lufthansa scheme as "D-ABOC" tucked away in a remote corner of the soon to close Berlin Tegel Airport.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Mike wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm
GeeRam wrote:Where does the Chatham Dockyard moniker come from, for what I presume is a reference to the current BA scheme?
https://www.britishairways.com/100/stor ... e-liveries
Oh..... :relaxed:

Didn't realise it was an 'official' BA term... had assumed it was unofficial 'spotter speak' hence asking the question.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Perhaps it’s not being preserved at any rate.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 12 Oct 2020, 3:43 pm
Perhaps it’s not being preserved at any rate.

The engines may have been sold,or maybe they are lease items.
When I worked for KLM ,we had a couple of B747-400 go to Kemble for scrapping,but the engines had to be returned to us,because they had been sold, or return to lessor.

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

Most engines are owned separately from the airframe, it was always fun to see whose name was on the owners plate when one came in.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

FYI

Cardiff (and surrounding areas) is in local lockdown, so not accessible for those not already there, but a head’s up for anyone able to get to Newquay.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

parsley wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020, 6:57 pm
There is still one complete Conway powered 707 airframe still in existence in Europe with ex EL Al series 458 aircraft 4X-ATB painted in fading period Lufthansa scheme as "D-ABOC" tucked away in a remote corner of the soon to close Berlin Tegel Airport.
There is (or was recently) one in Hamburg as well - it's marked as D-ABOB, but I gather it is actually D-ABOD; from other photos on Flickr, it looks to be reliveried intermittently (assume for TV/Film work):
Boeing 707-400 D-ABOB Lufthansa 20170513 Hamburg by steam60163, on Flickr

Cheers
Alisdair

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

G-CIVZ seen landing at Newquay after the 'short' hop from Cardiff yesterday and was promptly towed to STS . More to follow apparently.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

alisdairanderson wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 1:14 pm
parsley wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020, 6:57 pm
There is (or was recently) one in Hamburg as well - it's marked as D-ABOB, but I gather it is actually D-ABOD; from other photos on Flickr, it looks to be reliveried intermittently (assume for TV/Film work):
Boeing 707-400 D-ABOB Lufthansa 20170513 Hamburg by steam60163, on Flickr

Cheers
Alisdair
Thanks Alisdair

I'd forgotten about that one despite seeing it a few years back !

Paul

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Dunsfold a bit of a surprise there.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Presume that may be the end of the '200 that's there, as it's getting a bit tatty now.