Old Warden's socially-distanced drive-in July 2020

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Old Warden's socially-distanced drive-in July 2020

Post by Hatstand »

A lovely evening at Old Warden yesterday, for their first drive-in socially-distanced airshow!
An excellent line up, it was great to see (and hear) all those "old friends" in the air again!
Weather started off rather gray/flat/dull, but we had lots of nice sunshine later.

I sauntered along at about 16:30, hoping to avoid the queues.
(Given the restrictions on movement, I didn't feel like going there at 14:00 to "bag a good spot" in Zone A, and then spend a dull 3.5 hours queueing and waiting for the displays to start).
I also fancied Zone C anyway, just for a change...! :-D
Unfortunately though, even at 16:30 there were still substantial queues to get in! :-P

The vast majority of people were well-behaved, although quite a few clowns left their tailgates up the whole time, regardless of Shuttleworth asking everyone not to. Social distancing generally adhered to, but some people on their way to The Facilities came a bit too close for my liking, causing me some anxiety. The people who brought enough tables/chairs/whatever to completely block the space between their car and the next... had the right idea! They did not have to face this! I guess that's the thing to do, even if you are alone, if you feel uncomfortable about passers-by getting too close...

Well anyway, here's a few of the photos I took:

1. Piston Provost

2. The "Thank You NHS" Spitfire

3. The "Thank You NHS" Spitfire

4. Polikarpov PO-2 and L6 Cub

5. Polikarpov PO-2

6. Parnell Elf II

7. EON Primary

8. Pitts S-1S Special

9. Miles Magister

10. DH60X

11. Fauvel glider being towed aloft

12. Sopwith Triplane

13. Mew Gull

14. DH88 Comet and the Mew Gulls

15. DH88 Comet and the Mew Gulls

16. DH88 Comet

17. "(Flour) Bombs Away!"

18. Barnstorming Chippie

19. Barnstorming Super Cub, Chippie and Magister

I was a bit rusty and out-of-practice! Oh well.

All taken with Panasonic G90 micro-four-thirds camera.
Panasonic 100-300mm lens (200-600mm equivalent).
Red dot sight fitted as usual, used instead of the viewfinder.

By the way, I didn't feel at all handicapped by being in "Zone C", or by being quite some way back from the fence...
View was good, and I didn't need to be near "The Bend" around the control tower, to see lots of nice topsides...
(I couldn't even see the control tower LOL :-D)
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!