Stow Maries 2020 Events

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Stow Maries 2020 Events

Post by itfcscott »

Stow Maries have now rearranged their 'Stow at War' event for 3rd/4th October: https://www.stowmaries.org.uk/event-boo ... -war-2020/ and the Wings and Wheels show is on the 6th September (this one was rearranged a while ago, but couldn't see a mention of it here): https://www.stowmaries.org.uk/event-boo ... heels-2-2/, hopefully these will be able to go ahead.

Mike

Re: Stow Maries 2020 Events

Post by Mike »

What a disappointment Stow has turned out to be! What started out as a great opportunity to recreate a Great War aerodrome complete with a fleet of period-correct aeroplanes seems to be fizzling out for a number of reasons. A real shame and a missed opportunity, sadly.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

I’ve just read the Duxford showcase on the 19th is being shared with Stow Maries but I can’t find any announcement on social media, just their website. Has this been arranged quite quickly? I just don’t understand why they're not pushing this a little more.

Fargo Boyle

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Hi. I've just started volunteering at Stow Maries. The site has just opened up again, I can confirm the IWM showcase is on for tomorrow (advance tickets only). Regarding social media, their Twitter account https://twitter.com/StowAero has details. I don't do FB or Insta so can't tell you about that.

G-ANPK

Post by G-ANPK »

Fargo Boyle
I will be at Stow on Wednesday doing the ATC please come and say hello, it`s a great place to be involved with.

Mike -: Could you say, what are the reasons Stow Maries is fizzling out please, an aerodrome is more than just aircraft, the work on all the buildings to get them back to a condition where the public can use them is a monumental task and at a great deal of expense, you have to generate income through the gate , so you can apply for grants to get the project to the next level , unless you have a very wealthy benefactor. Looking forward to reading your reasons and what you personally are going to do about it.

G-ANPK (Stow Maries ATC)

Mike

Post by Mike »

Reasons why I find it a disappointment after so much was promised? Quite a number.

The plan for a fleet of airworthy replica WWI aircraft seems to be slowly fizzling out for a number of reasons. The Gene DeMarco fiasco and Peter Jackson deciding to take his aircraft back, since then the owners of most of the others have either moved them away or are in the process of doing so.

The much talked-up modern take on period-correct Bessonneau hangars has come to nothing, the remaining aeroplanes are housed in what has been described to me as a ‘glorified polytunnel’

I was told recently about some safety concerns with runway overruns being dug up, this led to one pilot telling me that he will no longer land there

Some very unpleasant politics behind the scenes that has lead to someone I have a lot of respect for being squeezed out

What’s been done with many of the buildings has been excellent, but an airfield without the correct aeroplanes has little interest to me once I’ve seen it a few times. Stampes and Turbulents pale beside the attractions available elsewhere.

What am I going to do about it? I guess I’ll just visit Old Warden more often instead. They have 6 rotary-powered aircraft on the programme for the next display.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Great to see that tomorrow has now sold out at Stow.

G-ANPK

Post by G-ANPK »

Unfortunately the weather never played ball and only one intrepid flyer took to the air for some very sedate flypast`s.

Mike-:
What happened in New Zealand had nothing to do with Stow Maries, out off our hands I`m afraid.
The Bessonneau hangars are and always were a long term project because of the cost. They will get built eventually. Time line, when cost`s allow it.
In the polytunnel hangar are four GA aircraft at the moment, and three WW1 replica`s parked in a way so the public has access. All safe and dry. The second hangar is full of WW1 replica aircraft and again displayed in a way the public has access.
Two GA aircraft have been sold on recently by their owners , one already been replaced and should be delivered very soon, and the other owner is looking for another aircraft and already has his parking slot booked in the hangar for his new aircraft once he has found it.
The overruns on 02/20 have NOT been dug up, so you are completely wrong over that statement. So NO safety concerns there. No one forces a pilot to land at Stow, if he does not like it, he does not have to come.
There will always be politics within any organisation, if he does not like the rules, he can take his aircraft to another airfield which I believe he has done.
Old Warden and Stow Maries are completely different set ups, we`ve been going around 11 years, OW nearly 100+ and where the aircraft side is an added attraction to the house and gardens, we are aiming to become a bonified museum and not a collection of aircraft.
As you can see from the post above , in very difficult weather condition we were still sold out, although little flying took place.
I hope this puts an end to your speculations about Stow, if you choose to spend your money going to OW so be it.
This is the situation as of today as far as I`m know, after spending most of the day at a wet but enjoyable Stow Maries Aerodrome.

G-ANPK. (Stow Maries ATC)

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Shame to hear that the weather had such a bad effect on the event at Stow. What was the aircraft that did the flypasts?

G-ANPK

Post by G-ANPK »

G-ARUI Beagle A.61 Terrier, did 3 flights with a few flypast`s each time, during the day.

G-ANPK