September 27 Airshow: Drive-In-Airshow (de Havilland)

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Aquarious

Re: September 27 Airshow: Drive-In-Airshow (de Havilland)

Post by Aquarious »

How close was he, close enough to be classified as a near miss? I wonder if that's the same idiot that disrupted the Red Arrows display a few years ago?

Mark Miller

Post by Mark Miller »

“So, considering this is supposed to be a 'DH100 show', there is only one Dragon Rapide, no Dragon, no Puss Moth or Leopard Moth...all of which were advertised? If that's all there is, that's not good value for your £50 IMO!”

Thank goodness we have a new younger generation of thinking enthusiast - exemplified by Huw Hopkins - capable of appreciating what it REALLY takes to place flying vintage aeroplanes in front of the public.

I’m afraid that staying home and dusting your die-cast models and slides just doesn’t compare, AMB.

Old Warden no shows yesterday from the Fox Moth and Rapide were on my watch. Not for want of trying to position them I can tell you. A fretful 48 hours of watching surface winds way beyond any sensible limits at Duxford. Soul destroying.

Moreover, I’d earlier had to get a lift to fetch the Fox from hibernation at Rendcomb, insure it, renew the Permit to Fly, fly three display practices in 30 days within the DA group, fly three more ditto for the Rapide, and complete all the requisite CAA display-related docs. Plus a day’s leave last week spent clearing snags with the Hornet Moth.

Henry Labouchere did still more to bring his DA and the Dragon to readiness, only to be defeated by near life-threatening weather along the Norfolk coast. He is many many hundreds of pounds down on the whole abortive exercise, and has still to unwind the process and return G-ECAN to base. Many other would-be participants have similar accounts. At least the tactically pre-positioned Puss Moth and based Leopard Moth were able to grace the static line-up.

All credit to Shuttleworth for having sought to mark the de Havilland Centenary with what would have been an outstanding ground and flying display. And ten out of ten for agile salvage of the programme in an evolving weather situation.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Mark Miller wrote:
Mon 28 Sep 2020, 1:41 pm
Thank goodness we have a new younger generation of thinking enthusiast - exemplified by Huw Hopkins - capable of appreciating what it REALLY takes to place flying vintage aeroplanes in front of the public.

I’m afraid that staying home and dusting your die-cast models and slides just doesn’t compare, AMB.

Old Warden no shows yesterday from the Fox Moth and Rapide were on my watch. Not for want of trying to position them I can tell you. A fretful 48 hours of watching surface winds way beyond any sensible limits at Duxford. Soul destroying.

Moreover, I’d earlier had to get a lift to fetch the Fox from hibernation at Rendcomb, insure it, renew the Permit to Fly, fly three display practices in 30 days within the DA group, fly three more ditto for the Rapide, and complete all the requisite CAA display-related docs. Plus a day’s leave last week spent clearing snags with the Hornet Moth.

Henry Labouchere did still more to bring his DA and the Dragon to readiness, only to be defeated by near life-threatening weather along the Norfolk coast. He is many many hundreds of pounds down on the whole abortive exercise, and has still to unwind the process and return G-ECAN to base. Many other would-be participants have similar accounts. At least the tactically pre-positioned Puss Moth and based Leopard Moth were able to grace the static line-up.

All credit to Shuttleworth for having sought to mark the de Havilland Centenary with what would have been an outstanding ground and flying display. And ten out of ten for agile salvage of the programme in an evolving weather situation.
Thanks for your behind the scenes input Mark. I doubt that many of us enthusiasts have a real grasp of what is needed to be done to display.
However the majority do at least appreciate the effort that operators and owners go to. Keep it up!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

The Baron wrote:
Wed 30 Sep 2020, 9:02 am
Mark Miller wrote:
Mon 28 Sep 2020, 1:41 pm

Thanks for your behind the scenes input Mark. I doubt that many of us enthusiasts have a real grasp of what is needed to be done to display.
However the majority do at least appreciate the effort that operators and owners go to. Keep it up!
Seconded

rob68

Post by rob68 »

The infringement of air space was called out by one of the OW based aircraft that was in the air at the time, so lucky it wasn't 30 seconds later with the glider mid display