1:48 633 Squadron Bristol Blenheim IV

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
FarnboroJohn

1:48 633 Squadron Bristol Blenheim IV

Post by FarnboroJohn »

After building a Hawk T1A for my brother I was pleased to get back to WWII and modelling aircraft representing the fictional 633 Squadron according to both the late F E Smith's novels and the RAF Museum's history, which is good on the early (pre-Mosquito) part though gravely in error later. What these two authorities say ties me down: what they don't say leaves gaps I can drive a bus through and do what I like!

According to RAFM, 633 reformed on Blenheims after being badly chopped up in France on Battles, and flew them until converting onto Bostons in March 1942. As RAFM provides a number of touch points paralleling the history of 105 Squadron I decided to add one more and sent them to Malta at the same time as 105 and 107, for anti-shipping operations in support of Western Desert operations. That gave me the opportunity to model a desert scheme, as a number of aircraft sent to Malta went in such warpaint.

The kit was the Classic Airframes Blenheim IV with Barracuda replacement mainwheels, a CMK reinforced tailwheel (the kit part is weak as water) and a couple of Master 0.303 Browning barrels on CMK breeches for a twin-Browning rear turret. Main paints are Vallejo ModelAir Middle Stone, Dark Earth and Azure Blue applied from the tin to start and then thinned and lightened to try to achieve a slightly faded look on the upperworks. The serial is from a Blenheim IV production batch but is the second number in the blackout block immediately after the used sequence that includes a 105 Squadron Blenheim IV photographed in Malta.

Photos on the usual garden patio tile that will put my back out one of these days.

Image20200816 (10)_633_Squadron_Bristol_Blenheim_IV by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20200816 (13)_633_Squadron_Bristol_Blenheim_IV by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20200816 (15)_633_Squadron_Bristol_Blenheim_IV by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20200816 (17)_633_Squadron_Bristol_Blenheim_IV by John Dixon, on Flickr

The Baron

Re: 1:48 633 Squadron Bristol Blenheim IV

Post by The Baron »

Still loving this theme! Excellent work as usual.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

FarnboroJohn

Re: 1:48 633 Squadron Bristol Blenheim IV

Post by FarnboroJohn »

The Baron wrote:
Mon 24 Aug 2020, 12:51 pm
Still loving this theme! Excellent work as usual.
Thank you very much! I'm up against it needing a 1:48 Battle I for May 1940 though... Back to the Mosquitos next I think.