VC-10 ZA150 to return to flight

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Archer

Re: VC-10 ZA150 to return to flight

Post by Archer »

That would be a shame, but not unexpected. Both ZD241 and ZA147 were living on borrowed time since the new owners of Bruntingthorpe took over. I'll ask around to see if I can confirm this, but I think I know who that poster is, he should know.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Archer wrote:
Tue 23 Nov 2021, 2:25 pm
were living on borrowed time since the new owners of Bruntingthorpe took over.
Whilst the management at Bruntingthorpe may have changed most other aircraft have been moved and they are safe. Their owners cared enough to spend time and money to save them.
The owner of the VC-10's and Tristar's is responsible for their fate. Even big aircraft can be move, example VC-10 to Cosford.
If the VC-10 owner wanted to relocate it was surely within his capacity to do so.

Archer

Post by Archer »

True, and he does care (about the VC10s, the Tristars are not owned by the same person) but he doesn't have the significant funds available that it would have cost him to move the airframes by road to a different location. The airframes that moved offsite were either small enough to fit on a single trailer or were moved just beyond the boundary of the Bruntingthorpe site that Cox now uses. Note that the large airframes owned by David Walton have not moved offsite but are still stored in a corner of the airfield.
Moving a Buccaneer and moving a VC10 are two very different projects, just look at what it took to get XR808 to Cosford.

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

There's a post at the Key forum where it's mentioned ZA147's cockpit was spared.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Archer

Post by Archer »

There is a photo in that thread and you can just make out the cockpit, just in front of the right wingtip of the rightmost Tristar, against the fencing.