Flying Legends to cease at Duxford

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Flying Legends to cease at Duxford

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

R4118 wrote:
Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:48 am

Anybody have an idea what shows "outperform" Flying Legends.
I took that to mean outperformed financially. The tweet was badly written, being open to interpretation and misunderstanding.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Tue 01 Sep 2020, 8:07 am
R4118 wrote:

I took that to mean outperformed financially. The tweet was badly written, being open to interpretation and misunderstanding.
Yes, outperforming financially, in terms of IWM's income, was my interpretation as well.

I'm sure the lady writing it is very good at filing stuff onto archive shelves and ticking boxes on pointless Govt inspired forms, but likely doesn't have a clue about anything else relating to Duxford, historic aviation or anything else.

That's the modern world though.

Orion

Post by Orion »

That would be my interpretation too.
I suspect that she is employed to manage the day-to-day business of the American Museum rather than to have any real historical knowledge of aviation. Judging by the perennial pristine condition of the museum she does that well enough, but it would be better if she didn't allow her commitment to her job to get her into waters that she know little or nothing about.

BobL

Post by BobL »

R4118 wrote:

Quilting Show?....

I'll get me coat....
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

cgwilson

Post by cgwilson »

I see that Nick Grey has stated today that Legends doesn`t have a venue yet for 2021 but it will be on July 10 and 11 next year

AMB

Post by AMB »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
R4118 wrote:

I think it may mean RIAT being their direct competitor, but that's FL's own fault as nearly every year, their shows clash over the same weekend as RIAT or Yeovilton, when those shows have already announced their dates far in advance. Not everyone will try to get to all shows.
Adrian

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

AMB wrote:
Sun 27 Sep 2020, 3:09 pm
Wrexham Mackem wrote:
R4118 wrote:

I think it may mean RIAT being their direct competitor, but that's FL's own fault as nearly every year, their shows clash over the same weekend as RIAT or Yeovilton, when those shows have already announced their dates far in advance. Not everyone will try to get to all shows.
that very reason is why i have only got to 1 legends show in the 5 years i have been doing airshows regularly. i often had to decide between legends and RIAT and RIAT always won out

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

AMB wrote:
but that's FL's own fault as nearly every year, their shows clash over the same weekend as RIAT or Yeovilton, when those shows have already announced their dates far in advance.
Everyone conveniently seems to forget that Legends was always on the second weekend of July and it was RIAT who kept changing their date, every other year, to coincide with Farnborough but it seems to have been Legends fault for the clash for sticking to the same weekend year after year which RIAT or Yeovilton knew.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 28 Sep 2020, 8:28 am
AMB wrote:
but that's FL's own fault as nearly every year, their shows clash over the same weekend as RIAT or Yeovilton, when those shows have already announced their dates far in advance.
Everyone conveniently seems to forget that Legends was always on the second weekend of July and it was RIAT who kept changing their date, every other year, to coincide with Farnborough but it seems to have been Legends fault for the clash for sticking to the same weekend year after year which RIAT or Yeovilton knew.
:thumbsup: Exactly this.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Instead of playing "Let's see whose got the biggest bo****ks" why don't they just sit down and sort it out so those of us that want to can go to both. Simples.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Blackbird wrote:
Tue 29 Sep 2020, 1:04 pm
Instead of playing "Let's see whose got the biggest bo****ks" why don't they just sit down and sort it out so those of us that want to can go to both. Simples.
Indeed. Instead of bloody mindedly sticking to their second weekend in July, you'd have thought they'd take a step back, realise how awkward the fixture congestion is, and drop back a week or two, to a new regular date. Just for the all round good of the industry, and consideration for the audience.

Under the present circumstances it seems churlish to moan about the dates again, but there is no doubt that for us aviation enthusiasts, that clash was/is a mighty pain.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Looks like an announcement in the next couple of days is coming.

FlyingMachinesTV

Post by FlyingMachinesTV »

Announcement is live on their Facebook page now - it's Sywell Aerodrome

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Discussion moved to the relevant thread now a new venue has been confirmed: viewtopic.php?f=20&p=904932
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"