Canadian Hawker Typhoon

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Typhoon Legacy

Canadian Hawker Typhoon

Post by Typhoon Legacy »

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to have found this forum having now been away from them for a while. I couldn't find much mention of our rebuild of Hawker Typhoon JP843 here, so would like to initiate a thread to keep (at least) some semi-regular updates for those who don't follow us on other platforms.

Our Typhoon project started well over two decades ago, but didn't physically start until 2014/15 with the acquisition of Roger Marley's Typhoon collection. Since then, our team has made amazing progress on the build with even more waiting for bench time. I've just launched our regular video updates on multiple platforms including free versions on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/typhoonlegacycoltd

Please check out the videos, and if you have any questions let me know.

Ian Slater
Project Lead Typhoon JP843

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: Canadian Hawker Typhoon

Post by Domvickery »

Now we’re talking!

Thank you for joining Ian, I look forward to hearing & watching more!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Typhoon Legacy

Post by Typhoon Legacy »

Thank you Dom, very happy to have a good audience.

Ian

Typhoon Legacy

Post by Typhoon Legacy »

Much has happened with the project since my last post! The Merlin rebuild has come and gone, adding one more Sabre to the shop and allowing me to get back onto the monocoque. I've been quietly picking away at the wing structure to help identify material requirements as we advance, and I have finally been able to work on catching up to our CAD team.
I am back on production full time now, with 95 new parts being completed recently, not these items are back from heat treatment and are being fit and drilled in preparation for assembly.

It is expected that JP843's monocoque section will be complete and removed from the fixture in early 2024, making way for cockpit production. The design work for the cockpit is done, over 6200 parts designed and verified, ready for production. The main materials are on hand, and some will be heading out for specialized treatment very soon. Our new (to us) CNC turning centre has power now, and we have ordered tooling to begin producing the hawker standard parts for the cockpit an other assemblies.

We have a new website in the works too, please stay tuned!

Soon the years of research, design and development will turn into some wonderful visual progress!

~Ian

DH82EH

Post by DH82EH »

Ian! Thanks for posting those photos of your amazing progress.
I really enjoy your YouTube channel, usually watching multiple times. Great stuff. I was glad to see the collaboration with the KFC Tempest team. Cooperation makes so much sense for everyone. I was able to see the Tempest last February. Most impressive. I've worn out one of the JP843 T-SHIRTS, but fortunately I bought two ;-).
Imagine the day when this Tempest and JP843 sit side by side on the ramp, or better yet, in formation. Thanks for sharing all you do. Fantastic project.
Andy

Typhoon Legacy

Post by Typhoon Legacy »

Thank you Andy, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the channel and shirts! We are in the process of making some big changes to our social media platforms in an attempt to reduce duplication, and should have a new website up fairly soon.

Thank you for your support!