Building 27 RAF Northolt

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Graf Zeppelin

Building 27 RAF Northolt

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

As those of you who frequent UKAR on a regular basis will know, Building 27, RAF Northolt, the old Sector Operations Building is the recipient of funds raised from the Northolt Night Photoshoots. Over the past decade the ops building has been restored (and in fact is still being restored). The Ops room has been returned to as it was in June 1940. Used by Hugh Dowding between 1936 and 1940 to develop what became known as the Dowding system, it is considered to be the birth place of IADS.

Due to Covid-19 the annual memorial service normally held at the Polish Air Force memorial at Northolt was unable to be held due to social distancing. Instead the Polish Air Force Memorial Committee decided to produce a 30 minute programme The Polish Air Force in the Battle of Britain - An 80th Anniversary Tribute

We were delighted when they requested to film in the Ops Room as part of the programme. The film was released officially yesterday and can be viewed via the following link. With thanks to the RAF 11 Group re-enactment who brought the Ops Room to life.

Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Draken

Re: Building 27 RAF Northolt

Post by Draken »

Amazing video, thank you very much for your work and effort, I'll share it for sure.
Best Regards from Krakow :)

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

It's a really nice piece and the Ops room looks fantastic being brought back to life. Many thanks to you and everyone involved in the restoration. Thanks for sharing Phil.

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith »

Thanks for posting Phil, a very moving video. Great to see the fantastic result of the restoration so far and the excellent use of the funds raised by the night shoots. You and the night shoot team should be proud of your contribution.

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

I was lucky enough to get a tour around the Northolt Ops Room during its restoration after an Airspace Working Group meeting in the Officers Mess and was really impressed with the attention to detail.

The film is a moving tribute to the Poles. At North Weald we also had Polish pilots serving, some of whom lost their lives. In our Airfield newsletter issue due out in December I have written a feature honouring them and their contribution to the victory.
Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I was also fortunate to be given a tour at the weekend and all I can say is it's absolutely fantastic and Phils attention to detail and the quality is second to none! We were there for nearly 2 hours and were captivated by his enthusiasm for the project. It was nice to be able to see where all the Nightshoot money goes and I look forward to being able to go again and spend even longer looking around the museum side too. Stunning!
...Rad shutters auto.