Covid casualties - British Airways B.747s at Kemble

Photos of commercial airliners
andygolfer

Covid casualties - British Airways B.747s at Kemble

Post by andygolfer »

Covid has brought about the demise of British Airways' mighty Boeing 747 fleet after 49 years of operations, they were one of the last major operators of the type. These are 5 of 7 currently stored at Kemble awaiting their fate - probably at the hands of the scrapman although BA hope to find new owners for some.
In order going down the line they are G-BYGB, G-BYGF, G-CIVL, G-CIVJ and finally G-CIVN

ImageCovid casualties British Airways B.747s Kemble 15-09-2020 6057 1600px by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

A sad end to a wonderful fleet of aircraft - thanks for the memories

Andy

PS it was a bit of a shock coming round the bend on the A 429 and being confronted with a herd of jumbos - who would think you could be on safari in deepest Gloucestershire?
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

GeeRam

Re: Covid casualties - British Airways B.747s at Kemble

Post by GeeRam »

I think all those at Kemble will be for the chop......and have all flown for the last time, given that a couple of them flew in there in the past couple of weeks from storage at Cardiff. Some of those still at LHR and maybe still at Cardiff will likely be the best of the fleet and may find a new owner, but BA have worked them hard in the past 20 years, and with RR engines, they probably won't appeal for freighter conversion either.

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

Interesting, thanks for posting, would be good to see an aerial view of them all lined up. Long Live the Jumbo.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

GeeRam wrote:
Sat 19 Sep 2020, 11:05 am
I think all those at Kemble will be for the chop......and have all flown for the last time, given that a couple of them flew in there in the past couple of weeks from storage at Cardiff. Some of those still at LHR and maybe still at Cardiff will likely be the best of the fleet and may find a new owner, but BA have worked them hard in the past 20 years, and with RR engines, they probably won't appeal for freighter conversion either.
Good(ish) news:
It's being reported in several places today that 7 of the newest ones (BYGA to BYGG) have been sold to Rossiya, three of them are at Kemble and in this photo. The other 4 are at Cardiff (the aircraft include the BOAC retro G- BYGC)

Andy
andygolfer

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I'm hearing that the Rossiya rumour is wide of the mark. I guess we'll soon find out.

Very nice, if rather sad, photograph. It won't be the same without the 747.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020, 11:58 am
I'm hearing that the Rossiya rumour is wide of the mark. I guess we'll soon find out.

Very nice, if rather sad, photograph. It won't be the same without the 747.
It seems that you are far more accurate than the origin of the 'news'. It seems to have started from a post on Flyer last evening but that has been checked out and is unsubstantiated. Apologies but I did some searching before posting and it seemed okay at the time sorry.

Thanks re the phot BTW
Andy
andygolfer

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

And if any have been sold, I would doubt that any of the 3 retro scheme aircraft would be involved, as BA chose 3 of the fleet that we due to be withdrawn from service early (by end of 2021 IIRC) to be repainted?
Although, having said that, the Negus scheme aircraft I believe maybe still at LHR?
I know it was still there parked next to the fence round the back of the old Jumbo hangar when I drove past back in July, when I went back into LHR to hand in my laptop and Heathrow pass.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Negus aircraft still at LHR. Of the 3 retro's, the BOAC one has the best chance (though still not a very good one) of further work, being one of the youngest in the fleet. Landor is the oldest one that was still in BA service, with the Negus one not far behind. The RR engines are probably more of a sticking point, with the CF-6 being more popular worldwide

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

In a perfect world, one or more 747's would end up in museums over here, and I don't just mean aviation museums. The 747 has affected global travel massively, to the point that you could say it has played a role in shaping modern national identities. Rather like the Model T Ford, it has helped shape a world changing industry. Might be a struggle to fit one in the V&A or the British Museum, but in principle you could argue that one should be in a place like that...

Alas, preserving big aircraft over here was tough enough even before COVID and I can't imagine that saving an old 747 is everyone's top priority right now.