RAF Leuchars 1992: Phantoms, Flankers and Other Types

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Spiny Norman

RAF Leuchars 1992: Phantoms, Flankers and Other Types

Post by Spiny Norman »

A show bedevilled by poor, claggy weather. Despite this, it was a memorable show for several reasons. One was the very last RAF F-4 display by the 56/74 Squadrons specially marked Phantom. We were lucky enough to be at the beach end on the Friday during the practice display and hopefully some of that experience is captured by the photographs.

The star of the static was the trio of aircraft from what was once known as the Eastern Bloc: A Su-24 Fencer and two Su-27 Flankers, fresh from Farnborough. Have no idea how they got invited to a RAF airfield but there they were. The single-seat Flanker flew on the Saturday. There was also a mixed flight with the base Tornadoes on the Friday, not sure where they went, or what they did.

FRIDAY

Arrivals

Phantoms

Buccaneer (its finale was to come the following year if I remember rightly).

Belgian Mirage

Jaguar

Those Russians. Or were they still Soviets then?

Vulcan

Think this was its last appearance at the base, for a few years.

F-4 display practice

SATURDAY

The murk remained but some types took to the air and put on spirited displays.

Sea Harrier

Su-27

Tornado F.3

F-4 was last item.

More from the show at https://www.flickr.com/photos/normanfer ... 364723152/

Ant.H

Re: RAF Leuchars 1992: Phantoms, Flankers and Other Types

Post by Ant.H »

Phabulous shots, lots of interesting types too. Love the Phantom take-off shots with the gear retracting, brilliant.

I saw those Russian types at Farnborough the same weekend, that Su24 scheme was a bit unusual. I saw a fairly recent pic of this aircraft on the web not long ago and it's still flying in the same paint.

The Soviet union ceased to exist on Dec 25th 1991, so they were Russian rather than Soviet by then.

buccs2b

Post by buccs2b »

We must have been sitting/standing virtually next to each other for the F-4 Display Practice

ImageLeuchars_1992_0003a by Tony Adams, on Flickr

Very impressive display too
I hear gliders

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

buccs2b wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020, 9:46 am
We must have been sitting/standing virtually next to each other for the F-4 Display Practice

ImageLeuchars_1992_0003a by Tony Adams, on Flickr

Very impressive display too
Must have been. Much enjoyed the access the enthusiasts got in those days. The squadron visits especially were terrific and the southside photo spot was great. Until that bit fell off the German Tornado!

There is a Youtube video of the Friday practice which I'm sure you've seen. I didn't get too many shots of that low pass...

Fokkerman

Post by Fokkerman »

I was at that show. Memory fades after 28 years but I seem to recall a Russian airforce IL72 in the static as well?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Fokkerman wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 11:24 am
I was at that show. Memory fades after 28 years but I seem to recall a Russian airforce IL72 in the static as well?
You're maybe thinking of the previous year? An Il-76 was in supporting the Russian Knights. They departed on the Saturday afternoon in a shockingly bad rain storm, so much so that my camera packed up and produced blank frames!

Fokkerman

Post by Fokkerman »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 11:48 am
Fokkerman wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 11:24 am
You're maybe thinking of the previous year? An Il-76 was in supporting the Russian Knights. They departed on the Saturday afternoon in a shockingly bad rain storm, so much so that my camera packed up and produced blank frames!
Yes. I think you are right. Must dig out my old photos. I have quite a bit of the '92 show on video somewhere. That show as the last flight of Phantom II FGR.1 XV582 'Black Mike', now at Cosford, if memory serves.

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

Fokkerman wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 12:34 pm

Yes. I think you are right. Must dig out my old photos. I have quite a bit of the '92 show on video somewhere. That show as the last flight of Phantom II FGR.1 XV582 'Black Mike', now at Cosford, if memory serves.
She was at Cosford, but has moved on to St.Athan more recently.

https://www.swam.online/aircraft

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Great memories, I went one of there shows back in the 90s long coach trip but well worth it - great light for photography also.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 22 Sep 2020, 9:50 pm
Great memories, I went one of there shows back in the 90s long coach trip but well worth it - great light for photography also.
There was always something of interest, plus the RAF had a range of types to display then, and being later in the year gave that great light at times. When you could see it through the clouds!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

With regards the Il-76 the Russian example was in 1991 a year earlier, but I do remember a few Years later which I can't remember exactly without consulting my spotters logbook there was a Ukrainian Il-76 on Static, shame they never brought any Su-27 Flankers with them!