Recent Lakenheath/Mildenhall

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Recent Lakenheath/Mildenhall

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Some images from a few visits in recent months, starting with a trip last week:

Morning launches making their way to the runway before the heat haze really started to interfere:

The morning wave RTB:

Several nice tight circuits from this one - still banking as he crossed the A1065!

This flight went out armed with a full load of LGB and iron bomb training rounds, returning with the former still attached:

Moved round to the other side for the afternoon/evening activity. Also my first attempts from up a ladder - not as easy as it looks!

F-16 evening ops:

A couple from the "surge ops" of August, taken from Maids Cross Hill near the hot pits.

And some random ones from a couple of visits on quiet days:

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

capercaillie

Re: Recent Lakenheath/Mildenhall

Post by capercaillie »

Lovely shots Dan, some attractive UK based fast jets worth photographing and done so exceptionally well.

Will be a shame when we lose the C/Ds, that little bit of disruptive patterning makes the world of difference.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thanks Paul. I didn’t really get the shots I was after last week, and neither the Heritage Jet or the Have Glass F-16 flew so that was a bit of a bummer too. I was really excited for all these deployments but as usual, the B-52s have come and gone without a visit and the F-35s at Marham ended up being very hit and miss from the local reports on FC, so some grey F-16s is all I managed.

I don’t think there is any clarity on what happens to the 493FS and their jets yet. It’s been confirmed that the first F-35 squadron will be the re-activated 495th FS, so they may have a few more years over here yet?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Great stuff Dan, you couldn't have been very far away from me at all last Tuesday judging by the similar angles. Was a good day!
My shots on Flickr and Airliners