Headcorn Battle of Britain show - Saturday 26 September 2020

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Headcorn Battle of Britain show - Saturday 26 September 2020

Post by Blackbird »

My first show of the year, and given the conditions (as described elsewhere) and my lack of practice, I was pleasantly surprised to come away with anything worth posting at all.
ImageSupermarine Spitfire Ia N3200 / G-CFGJ by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

By any standards and especially given the conditions, the CAP 232 gave a breathtaking display of aerobatics. Respect to the pilot 👏👏
ImageCAP 232 G-IIRP by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageDouglas C-47A Dakota 2100882 / 3X / N473DC "Drag Em Oot" by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageDakota tail-chase by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageDakota pair by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageDouglas DC-3 Dakota KP220 / G-ANAF by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageHispano HA1112 M1L Buchon "Yellow 10" G-AWHK by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageHispano HA1112 M1L Buchon "Yellow 10" G-AWHK by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageNorth American T-6G Texan / Harvard 115042 / G-BGHU by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageNorth American T-6G Texan / Harvard 115042 / G-BGHU with North American T-6G Harvard 493209 / G-DDMV by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

ImageNorth American T-6G Texan / Harvard 115042 / G-BGHU by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

The Stampe team first displayed as a four-ship, and then to fill the gap left by the BBMF (for completely understandable reasons), as a five ship. Outstanding airmanship in dreadful conditions 👏👏
ImageStampe 5 ship formation by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

All credit to both the organisers and pilots for putting on the display. As others have mentioned, the commentary was, at best, irritating and inaccurate "only display this year" and the persistent mentioning of Aero Legends should have been left out at least half the time. Shame about the weather though.

C&C welcome.

Andy

Ant.H

Re: Headcorn Battle of Britain show - Saturday 26 September 2020

Post by Ant.H »

There appears to be some sunshine and shadowing in some of your pictures, I accuse you of blatant use of Photoshop good Sir! :D

In all seriousness, you've managed to get a decent set of pics that make the conditions look half decent (which they weren't!), well done mate.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Cheers! I don’t think photoshop would believe how dull it was and was trying to help out!!

johnr

Post by johnr »

Your pictures show that it was merely dull, not how perishingly cold it was with a wind that cut through several layers of thermal covering. I left early before I lost the will to live as there seemed to be no prospect of any decent pictures.
Well done on getting what you did and well done to the pilots who coped with the windy conditions. The Stampe formation looked like it got a very rough ride.
John

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Many thanks - perhaps I should try a thermal imaging camera next time!!