48 Hour Photo Comp: Why I love Aeroplanes

Communal photo threads for specific aircraft types, operators etc.
Andyph

48 Hour Photo Comp: Why I love Aeroplanes

Post by Andyph »

Imagine you are trying to show a none aviation friend why you love Aeroplanes - what would you show them?

Wide open to anything you fancy having a punt with - only rule is you can't have entered it in a 48 hour competition before.

Three entries per post
Last edited by Andyph on Tue 06 Oct 2020, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Draken

Re: 48 Hour Photo Comp: Why I love Aeroplanes

Post by Draken »

Very nice topic!
I love Airplanes because:

1. Aviation is in my blood. My grandfather was one of first Polish Il-10 pilots in early '50s. Based in Bydgoszcz and Grudziądz he was member of first squadron which received Il-10s as upgrade from Il-2 Sturmovik. My father works as turbine engines expert for military helicopters, and I'm a plane spotter from late '90.

2. Thanks to Airplanes - as airplane spotter I met and became friends with LOTS of fellow spotters around the world. Many of them are only "vitrual friedns", but I'm very lucky to have close friends all around - as seen here - during meeting in Amsterdam back in 2016. Amazing 3 days in awesome company :)

3. Airplanes and aviation let me forget about my job, allow me to clear my head, give me oportunity to travel to interesting and exotic locations just for spotting - as Japan, St. Martin, Russia or Gibraltar.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Why I love aircraft. To me its the people you meet, the memories you have and the aircraft you see, ive been at this since i was a 4 year old. been all over Europe and america looking at aircraft.

My best friends are aircraft nuts too.

in many ways we are like a big family, we fight, we argue and most of all we have fun.

It all started on a very wet Saturday in May 1976 when I was taking my grandparents. to Manchester airport when 9 of these aircraft. It was my first taste of the Red Arrows. I was hooked ever since.
Imagegnat by andrew abbott, on Flickr

Its having personal links to aviation. My nana worked on wing spar sections on the Lancaster at Chadderton during the war so the lancaster has a special place in my heart.
ImageIMG_1170 by andrew abbott, on Flickr

Its being so happy when you see an aircraft fly past your school window and at airshows and sadness when you say farewell to her on some of her last flights, both in 1992 and in 2015
Image558 climb by andrew abbott, on Flickr

From the early days of flight
ImageEdwardians by andrew abbott, on Flickr

To the latest Aviation technology. This hobby has it all.
Image580A9819 by andrew abbott, on Flickr

Moreover its the people you meet. here are 2 of my three best mates in better times (graham and Ian along with Andre and Dave). If it wasn't for aircraft we had never have met. My life would be poorer without aviation in my life.
Image580A9156 by andrew abbott, on Flickr
Last edited by AndyXH558 on Mon 05 Oct 2020, 8:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

The sound.

ImageSukhoi Su-27P1M - 15 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

The sight.

ImageRed Arrows - 02 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

The smell.

ImageBristol F.2B Fighter - 4 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Super entries so far!

Just thought I'd point out that entries can come with or without a story - equally valid.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Sorry ive gone over the limit on pics but to tell a story you need more than 3
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Nice idea and definitely one have had to think about.

It's difficult to put into words, as you can easily get deep into detail on how they are engineeringly impressive, how they have such speed and power, how they can be exciting to watch, or they instil a sense of nostalgia, etc, etc, so a photo competition is perfect!

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Last edited by SuffolkBlue on Mon 05 Oct 2020, 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

A great topic, although it has involved trying to put together some thoughts which is always tricky! Forgive all the words that go with this, but as Spiny Norman said, it is difficult!
I first got the bug from my late Dad who did his National Service in the RAF (non-flying). I can (just) remember the highlight of every year being the annual trip to the open day at RAF Wethersfield, then a USAF base. This photo was taken in the early 60s, and I'm the stylish chap in the white jumper!
ImageEnglish Electric Lightning F1A 56 Squadron by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

I spent as much time as I could at the local airport, Rochford, now known as "London/Southend" and this photo encapsulates that era.
ImageAviation Traders ATL-98 Carvair G-ARSD "Chelsea Bridge" by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

At some time between the age of about 10-12 I caught the photography bug and this proved to be a great combination of hobbies. I've not looked back! The final photo could have been any of thousands sitting on my hard drives and shows both the past and the future, the power and the grace of aviation.
ImageHeritage Flypast RIAT 2018 by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

The first two photos are from slides that my dad gave to me many years ago. I take responsibility for the third one.
Apologies for all the waffle, but if a picture is worth a thousand words just be grateful for the photos 😃

Andy

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

I hummed and hummed about this topic as in many ways very personal and changed over the years. But my very personal take-

At College learned to Parachute and hence many years in aircraft and as a Parachute Instructor-the 80's
ImageSwansea Twin Otter by Peter Fenwick, on Flickr

Then it was a decision if I ever wanted to learn to fly (for a few short years how I wish I had taken it up much earlier)-the 2000's
ImageOverhead join Sleap by Peter Fenwick, on Flickr

Now aviation photography to try and capture the sheer joy and thrill of aircraft and aviation minded people (Oshkosh from a Ford Trimotor)
Image2011 Oshkosh-90-7 by Peter Fenwick, on Flickr

Wbirdnut

Post by Wbirdnut »

Going with the inspirational people I've met due to my planecrazy obsession.

Langdon Badger started to collect parts for his Spitfire V back in the the 1970’s
at a time when not so many people where doing it.

A visitor to our local strip Eric Dabas hand flew his Flight Designs CTLS from
Europe to New Zealand.

For many years my wife and I ran our local post office attached to which we
had a cafe which housed my aviation collection. One day I was very privilaged
to have a legonary customer who kindly hung around for a cuppa and a chat.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Ugly..........
Imagebh15 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

......spotty.........
ImageDSC_6115 (3) by Paul Downes, on Flickr

.........its a hobby.
ImageDSC_3050 by Paul Downes, on Flickr
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

What an original theme !

When I was 11, I was interested in planes, as I was interested in tanks, cars and anything a boy of my age fancies.

One day, my teacher gave the class a list of books we should read. On the evening, at diner, I read the list to my family, including one of my uncles, who was living with us. He was slightly mentally disabled, but he however picked up a title he remembered having and, on the next day, he gave it to me.
It was "The big circus" (Le Grand Cirque) by french WWII top-scoring ace Pierre Clostermann (33 victories, flying Spifires and Tempests for the RAF).
I can't tell you how many times I read these first-hand vivid memories.
I was lucky to assist to one of his conferences, and to have him autograph a copy of his book.

Image20201006_010419 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

My interest in planes grew into a passion and a also a motivation for my studies.
And I began to share this passion with some of my friends, who I continue to meet at la Ferté, whenever possible, sharing the shivers of hearing the roar of approaching low-passing aircraft:

ImageDSC_2075 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

And now, I am an engineer, with a work as close to aviation as I could have dreamed for, which enables me to sustain my family (and gives me also business travel opportunities to attend airshows or visit museums abroad).

ImageDSC_0590 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

So, for me it's aeroplanes, but everybody should have such a passion that drives him in life.
"Merci Oncle Jacques". From where you are now, I hope that your are as proud of your nephew as I am grateful for what you litterally gave me !

CJS

Post by CJS »

Capercaille :rofl: :lol: :clap:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

For the atmosphere of a showground:

by Gordon Duncan, on Flickr

For the bizarre, far-flung places this hobby has taken me (why else would I have been to southern Austria, or rural Belgium, or the far north of Germany, or southern Hungary, or any number of other not-exactly-obvious locations):

For the colour, smoke, noise and spectacle and the privilege of watching, up close, these mighty machines perform just for you:

Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I love aircraft as I'm a big fan of engineering, I love to see how things work and are put together, one of my other passions in life is cars, I love working, modifying & tracking them. In 2015/2016 I was a volunteer with the SPT at Coventry, at Cosford 2016 I got to combine 2 of my passions with my track car & the nose of Shackleton T4 VP293 Zebedee

Image_MG_5157 by justdom1, on Flickr

Seeing PA474 up close whilst she underwent her recent major service was a real highlight of mine hobby wise

ImageDuxford PA474 Visit 033 by justdom1, on Flickr

Lastly it's the noise & feel of an aircraft, how many people can look at this & instantly know what it sounds like

ImageRIAT 2018 Thursday 247 by justdom1, on Flickr
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Thanks Gents - very interesting posts - how do I judge that?

I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying all the personal insights, especially those from Draken, Andy and Col Chibani.

But I'm going to plump for Suffolk Blue's Shuttleworth duo as a winner.

All yours Chris.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Thanks Andy - the new comp is now up and running