48 Hour Photo Comp: Trainers!

Communal photo threads for specific aircraft types, operators etc.
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: 48 Hour Photo Comp: Trainers!

Post by Blackbird »

The Dominee had winner written all over it! Excellent photo👏👏

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Blackbird wrote:
Thu 15 Oct 2020, 12:44 pm
The Dominee had winner written all over it! Excellent photo👏👏
Indeed Andy, a beautiful photo and one I'd have very much loved to have myself of a Dominie, a lovely little aircraft. I think we need to be careful however when setting a comp and asking for the "rarer the better", I'm guilty myself of this, and so we delve into or archives for one offs and exotica from Transylvania and the like and the winner is from the UK and spent 50 years plus in service.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Indeed Andy, a beautiful photo and one I'd have very much loved to have myself of a Dominie, a lovely little aircraft. I think we need to be careful however when setting a comp and asking for the "rarer the better", I'm guilty myself of this, and so we delve into or archives for one offs and exotica from Transylvania and the like and the winner is from the UK and spent 50 years plus in service.
Gpwm - or good point well made.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

capercaillie wrote:I think we need to be careful however when setting a comp and asking for the "rarer the better", I'm guilty myself of this, and so we delve into or archives for one offs and exotica from Transylvania and the like and the winner is from the UK and spent 50 years plus in service.
Agree in principle, but at the end of the day it's a photography competition so the best photograph should win and that's why I've tried to do whenever I've been lucky enough to pick host the thread. You could post a Venezuelan K-8, but if its a blurry shot with a colour cast, its not going to win. I try and weigh up rarity vs photo quality but for me, that Dominie shot was the cream of the crop. I hope the forum can avoid descending to whoever posts the aircraft from furthest away automatically wins without regard for photographic skill.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

No blurry and colour-casts? That's half my archive!

I can appreciate all the points expressed. I have winced at seeing some of the modern-day pin-sharp images knowing that mine are generally of an earlier vintage, on film, scanned in, etc, but carry on as I think that the photos might be of interest. I've no doubt we would all perhaps pick different winners each time from each other. (How did that Harvard in the gorgeous evening light, or the Balliol, not get a place, Peter?!)

My preference would tend to drift towards the moving subject, but then I'd see that lovely camo Tucano and think oh, that's got something that draws the eye.

The judge's decision is final and that's what I really like about this competition - it's as subjective as we all are.