Post by ted633 »

Archer

Re: Tallboy Bomb Found & Detonated in Poland

Post by Archer »

It did!

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

That's a big splash! The wording about it being neutralised tickled me, yep we set it off so it wouldn't go off

Draken

Post by Draken »

Primary plan was to burn it slowly without explosion (I don't know the term for this - deflagration maybe?) but the main operation commander said it was 50/50 - it will work or it will blow up. So all was prepared for the explosion hoping for safer option.
Anyway - spectacular view!
Last edited by Draken on Wed 14 Oct 2020, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

They found it when dredging the canal bed, so the RAF have saved them a bit of time in that regard with the crater this will have left in the canal bed along with the ones made 75 years earlier.

The Tallboy raid on the Lutzow was filmed from a Mosquito, and can be found on Youtube, and if you look carefully as the first bombs hit and explode, one is a much smaller splash, and is pretty much where this one exploded, so almost certainly the splash of this one hitting the water and not exploding..........bizarre to then watch a film taken 75 years later of it going up.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

GeeRam wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020, 4:05 pm
They found it when dredging the canal bed, so the RAF have saved them a bit of time in that regard with the crater this will have left in the canal bed along with the ones made 75 years earlier.

The Tallboy raid on the Lutzow was filmed from a Mosquito, and can be found on Youtube, and if you look carefully as the first bombs hit and explode, one is a much smaller splash, and is pretty much where this one exploded, so almost certainly the splash of this one hitting the water and not exploding..........bizarre to then watch a film taken 75 years later of it going up.
If so, that is extraordinary
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Wissam24 wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020, 6:23 pm
GeeRam wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020, 4:05 pm

If so, that is extraordinary
I did a side by side screen shot freeze frame comparison with an arrow pointing at the splash, but I don't have a means of posting it here, but I did post on the thread on this subject over on PPruNe.