RAF Halton Flying Boat (filming?)

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
keithjs

RAF Halton Flying Boat (filming?)

Post by keithjs »

A friend of mine passed RAF Halton today and said he saw a 'Sutherland' parked in front of one of the hangers for what looked liked some filming? I assume he meant a Sunderland but I still doubt that. Anyone know what he might have seen and why it was there? The Catalina maybe?? Thanks
...Rad shutters auto.

Re: RAF Halton Flying Boat (filming?)

Post by 5944 »

Yes, it'll be the Catalina. Seen heading that way on Sunday afternoon, but disappeared from the usual tracking apps near Aylesbury.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

5944 wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020, 7:49 pm
Yes, it'll be the Catalina. Seen heading that way on Sunday afternoon, but disappeared from the usual tracking apps near Aylesbury.
Thanks for that. Any idea why?
...Rad shutters auto.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Catalina off to Lock Ness today for more filming.
15 October 2020 - 18 October 2020
Flight Type: Filming
From: Duxford - Inverness / Loch Ness -- 15 October 2020 - 09:30 (all times local)
To: Inverness / Loch Ness - Duxford -- 18 October 2020 - 16:00 (all times local)
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Thanks Brian. Yes I saw that but just wondering now if it was connected? Got to be a first for a Catalina (and Halton) surely I would think?
...Rad shutters auto.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It seems that the aircraft is stranded overnight on Loch Ness with engine issues, with the crew having been taken to shore by RNLI lifeboat

Post by 5944 »

From Catalina Facebook page...

An update: Miss Pick Up has spent the past week carrying out filming, first for a US TV series at RAF Halton then on Loch Ness for a UK series. It has been a rewarding and successful experience and both TV companies have been delighted with the results. Unfortunately, after our last landing on Loch Ness yesterday afternoon, the starboard engine would not start and a failed starter motor was diagnosed. After assessing options, the Catalinas was towed by an RNLI boat to a relatively sheltered bay on the Loch where she is now moored. Sadly, before the RNLI rescue, another substantial rib-type boat impacted the Catalina’s rear hull and smashed the blister transparency. A plan is now in place and our engineer Garry Short will travel to Scotland and replace the faulty starter and patch up the blister sufficient for a short ferry flight to Inverness airport where a further action plan will be put in place prior to a return to our base at Duxford.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

How on earth did a rib manage to hit it, to quote snatch "it's not as though its a packet of f****** peanuts is it?"
I imagine a replacement blister is going to be hard to come by?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Gt5500 wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 10:42 am
How on earth did a rib manage to hit it, to quote snatch "it's not as though its a packet of f****** peanuts is it?"
I imagine a replacement blister is going to be hard to come by?
I hope they make the owner of the rib pay for it! But like you say are they easy to come by nowadays? If I remember at the time weren't they specially made anyway? Maybe they had some extras made?
...Rad shutters auto.