48hr Photo Comp: Undersides

Communal photo threads for specific aircraft types, operators etc.
PeterR

Re: 48hr Photo Comp: Undersides

Post by PeterR »

Really struggled with this, as I genuinely don't have many underside shots! I too work on the ideology that the cockpit is like the eye of the aircraft, and like when talking portraits of people, its very hard to take a nice photograph without the eyes in shot. I think the exception with aircraft are fast-jet "turning and burning" shots, such as the example below.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Your Tutor shot is just lovely Stu :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Is it fair to say this is the highest quality one we've had? I'd say there's at least 12 photographs that could easily win this.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Wed 21 Oct 2020, 9:00 am
Is it fair to say this is the highest quality one we've had? I'd say there's at least 12 photographs that could easily win this.
Yeah, I’m having a very difficult time trying to judge this one.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to 18 at the moment! 🤣
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

CJS

Post by CJS »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Wed 21 Oct 2020, 9:00 am
So there's my 3 and which others? :lol:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Right, OK, let's do this. Ask me again in ten minutes and I'll give you a different answer, but anyway.

Honourable mentions to CJS for his low-angle Tornado (but you're right, the table ruins it), Stu for the lovely shot of the Tutor in fabulous light, Alisdair for the interpretation of the theme with his Airlander, Nick for three strong contenders, Andy for his Gripen (but you posted four and the limit was three), Chris for the Reds and the use of the smoke trails, Ian for the unpainted Typhoon, Sacha for the Su-27 pair, Preoch for a classic "airshow" image, Paul for the shot of the Ramex pair and Phil for the F-35 (which I actually think is a decent angle on them, as there's a lot of shape and detail there).

3rd: PeteFenwick for the F-15E. Surprised there weren't more low level shots, but this is a belter. The photographers in the background and the shadows really give this the impression of the jet of being extremely low.

2nd: Tommy. I really like that Lightning photo, it's very different to anything else posted in this thread, and the Tornado is also a strong contender.

1st: rebel14. I think the Tornado F3 is my winner as it's a dynamic image with the angle and the gear still retracting, but it could just as easily be the Vulcan for the way the light it catching it, plus the added interest of the bomb doors being open. I think the three images are all really strong contenders though, so you take the win today. Over to you Mark.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

bugger!!!!
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ha - the one I thought was a cert soon as I saw it not placed! Beauty definitely in the eye of the judging beholder. The F.3 is a corker however and I avoided posting one of mine as it wasn't in the same ballpark.

Great stuff is this comp.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Dan I agree the choice was tough, but one of you rules stated cockpit to be obscured or completely blanked off. I can clearly see the cockpit on this one? Its also one of quite a few shots being shown these days that have an halo round it. That used to be commented on as over processed? Has that changed these days?
I'm just asking? because there was some terrific shots in this one, and I'm not talking about mine, there was lots better than it.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

rebel14

Post by rebel14 »

Thanks Dan
Both the Tornado and Vulcan shots taken at Leuchars but on different occasions aided by the light reflecting of the sea.
Ian, my processing skills are basic to say the least, crop, sharpen and adjust contrast is usually it.
New topic up soon

ianf

Post by ianf »

Rebel no offence was meant, If that's all you've done I suspect they are over sharpened. In my opinion. I'm guessing you took them off base? I've got similar shots from there.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

rebel14

Post by rebel14 »

Hi Ian no offence taken. Yes taken off base, if the weather conditions were right at Leuchars photography was brilliant.