NHS Spitfire - PL983. Royalty free photo

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Merlin70

NHS Spitfire - PL983. Royalty free photo

Post by Merlin70 »

A relative of mine has been writing poetry inspired by his experiences during lockdown.
The poems have been compiled into a book which he will been selling to raise money for the charity MIND.
I suggested that he illustrate It and as one of his poems mentions the NHS Spitfire I wondered if anyone here has a photo that he can use as a background Image to a poem.
It would need to be royalty free but I’m sure he can credit the photographer
Ordinarily I’d have plenty of shots but I’ve not seen PL984 close up this year

Merlin70

Re: NHS Spitfire - PL983. Royalty free photo

Post by Merlin70 »

Cool, thanks

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

He could use this for free if it was any use?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/503 ... 8d3b_k.jpg

Archer

Post by Archer »

I see that these are all shared on Flickr under a Creative Commons licence, but does that always allow full use of the image? I'm not sure that all variants of the licence allow commercial use, but that may also be because of my lack of knowledge on the subject. I checked a couple of images from that search and I noticed that there are differences in the licences associated with those images.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Archer wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 7:43 am
I see that these are all shared on Flickr under a Creative Commons licence, but does that always allow full use of the image? I'm not sure that all variants of the licence allow commercial use, but that may also be because of my lack of knowledge on the subject. I checked a couple of images from that search and I noticed that there are differences in the licences associated with those images.
It'll be clearly laid out in each case. For example, this one:

ImageSupermarine Spitfire PR.XI ‘PL983 / R’ (G-PRXI) by Alan Wilson, on Flickr

The licence means it is in the public domain, so you are free to use it however you wish, as long as you give a credit (attribution), give a link to the Licence page and say if it's been changed. You also have to make sure that you "share alike" so you can't sell it to a photo library who will charge for its use, for example.

In my case, I've granted explicit permission, even though on Flickr it is All Rights Reserved. Sometimes if you want to use such an image, you can ask the copyright holder and they'll grant permission, either without condition of if they want a credit, money, etc.

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

If this is any use, he can use it (I can supply without the copyright watermark).....
Spitfire XI PL983 20200718 OldWarden by steam60163, on Flickr

Cheers
Alisdair

Merlin70

Post by Merlin70 »

Thank you everyone for your replies and photos.
I have passed this link on and look forward to seeing one of your pics in his poem book.