UK Landscape Tour

Photos that are not aviation related
Seamus

UK Landscape Tour

Post by Seamus »

Afternoon all,

With virtually no airshows this year, I had a lot of holiday leftover, which meant I could fit in a long awaited autumnal trip to Scotland. The original plan had been to start in Snowdonia and head up via the Lake District, but local lockdowns meant Wales couldn't be done. So, a quick stop off in the Lakes on the long drive up from Devon meant I could tick a few locations off before embarking on my Scottish adventure.

My first port of call was Derwent Water, before a quick stop at Ullswater on the way back to my hotel for the night

ImageDerwent Water | Lake District | Cumbria | 19/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageUllswater | Lake District | Cumbria | 19/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

It was an early start for a morning in the lakes before heading up to Scotland. The weather was dreadful before sunrise but soon dried up to enable a moody shot over Windermere from Loughrigg Fell, followed by quick visits to Rydal Water and Ashness before heading North again.

ImageSunrise over Windermere | Loughrigg Fell | Lake District | Cumbria | 20/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageRydal Water | Lake District | Cumbria | 20/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageAshness Jetty | Lake District | Cumbria | 20/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageAshness Bridge | Lake District | Cumbria | 20/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

En route to my hotel in Fort William, I made a small diversion to Kilchurn Castle. The weather had been awful for almost the entire drive up through Scotland, but luckily dried up just long enough to grab this shot across Loch Awe

ImageKilchurn Castle | Loch Awe | Scotland | 21/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

My first full day in Scotland was spent in Glencoe, where moody weather was the order for the day. The scale of the place is just incredible, and it's a playground for photography. I spent most of my day playing in small streams and rivers searching for compositions.

ImageGlencoe | Scotland | 21/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageThree Sisters of Glencoe | Scotland | 21/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageThree Sisters of Glencoe | Scotland | 21/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageLone Tree in Glencoe | Scotland | 21/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Day two kicked off with sunrise at the Corpach Shipwreck, followed by a morning at Glenfinnan. An hour or so back at Glencoe Lochan followed before rain stopped play

ImageSunrise at The Old Boat of Caol | Corpach | Scotland | 22/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageJacobite Express | Glenfinnan Viaduct | Scotland | 22/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageJacobite Express | Glenfinnan Viaduct | Scotland | 22/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageGlenfinnan | Scotland | 22/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageLoch Shiel | Glenfinnan | Scotland | 22/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe Lochan | Scotland | 22/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe Lochan | Scotland | 22/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

On day three I travelled up to Skye, setting off nice and early in the hope of a nice sunrise at Sligachan. I spent the rest of the morning there before heading over the Fairy Pools for the afternoon, my favourite location of the entire trip. Then it was a quick stop off for sunset at Eilean Donan Castle on my way back to the hotel

ImageSligachan Old Bridge | Isle of Skye | Scotland 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageSligachan Waterfalls | Isle of Skye | Scotland | 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageRoad to Cuillin | Isle of Skye | Scotland 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageFairy Pools | Isle of Skye | Scotland | 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageFairy Pools | Isle of Skye | Scotland | 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageFairy Pools | Isle of Skye | Scotland 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageEilean Donan Castle | Dornie | Scotland | 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageEilean Donan Castle | Dornie | Scotland | 23/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Day four and it was back to Glencoe, with the main aim of getting a shot of Buachaille Etive Mor that i was happy with, which I did! Everything else thereafter was a bonus, especially the odd bit of sunshine!

ImageBuachaille Etive Mòr | Glencoe | Scotland | 24/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageBuachaille Etive Mòr | Glencoe | Scotland | 24/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageTorren Lochan | Glencoe | Scotland | 24/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe | Scotland | 24/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

On the long drive home I stopped off once again at Kilchurn for sunrise, where I was rewarded with another break in the weather

ImageKilchurn Castle | Loch Awe | Scotland | 25/10/20 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, appreciate there's quite a few there but hopefully they were of interest

Cheers,

Shaun
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Spiny Norman

Re: UK Landscape Tour

Post by Spiny Norman »

Know quite a few of these locations well and these are some of the best I've seen. Superb stuff.

hedgerowops1

Post by hedgerowops1 »

Really enjoyed looking at these pictures all of them top notch you've certainly got the eye for a good shot.
Chris

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Enjoyed those, thanks for sharing. Scotland is stunningly beautiful in Autumn and Winter, you've made the most of what little (and by the look of it mainly challenging) light there is at this time of year.
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

An outstanding set Shaun 👏👏 That's put a trip to Scotland firmly on the agenda.

Andy

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Those are amazing Shaun!

Just wondering if you can run us through your processing workflow - I'm picking you are doing a little more than exposure and sharpness?

Cheers

Andy

CJS

Post by CJS »

Lovely, all of them :clap:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Thanks all, much appreciated
Andyph wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 7:01 am
Just wondering if you can run us through your processing workflow - I'm picking you are doing a little more than exposure and sharpness?
Yes, just a little bit more! I'm constantly developing my workflow as far as landscapes are concerned and am finding myself using Lightroom increasingly more before finishing in Photoshop. I treat each image individually but typically I'll tweak the curves into an S, adjust exposure, contrast, clarity, vibrance and saturation (including that of individual colours) as required. For some images such as the Fairy Pools shots I use linear gradients to reduce the exposure and highlights and increase the clarity, shadows and blacks in the sky, effectively replacing the need for graduated filters and allowing me to fully edit a single image. Others such as the Eilean Donan and shipwreck images are blends of two exposures- one for the foreground and one for the sky. I edit each exposure indepently as above then blend them together in PS using layer masks, uing the brush tool to brighen or darken the image where necessary. As such I bracket every shot I take so I have three exposures to work from, even if it isn't always necessary. Before blending I may tweak the curves further, altering the curve for R, G and B channels individually- this can be done in LR but I find it easier to control in PS. Some images will receive a soft light filter using gradients before a final sharpen, noise reduction and resize.

I'm very new to LR and am constantly learning how to improve my edits, but it's a very powerful piece of software and has improved my landscape editing massively since I started using it 6 months ago.

Hope that helps, as ever there's no right or wrong way to do this, just your way!

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

Wonderful photos from my favourite part of the UK. Many thanks for posting and your individual thoughts on processing.

Peter345

Post by Peter345 »

Great work Shaun. A superb set of moody photos from some fantastic locations.

Peter

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Seamus wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 1:30 pm
Andyph wrote:
Yes, just a little bit more! I'm constantly developing my workflow as far as landscapes are concerned and am finding myself using Lightroom increasingly more before finishing in Photoshop. I treat each image individually but typically I'll tweak the curves into an S, adjust exposure, contrast, clarity, vibrance and saturation (including that of individual colours) as required. For some images such as the Fairy Pools shots I use linear gradients to reduce the exposure and highlights and increase the clarity, shadows and blacks in the sky, effectively replacing the need for graduated filters and allowing me to fully edit a single image. Others such as the Eilean Donan and shipwreck images are blends of two exposures- one for the foreground and one for the sky. I edit each exposure indepently as above then blend them together in PS using layer masks, uing the brush tool to brighen or darken the image where necessary. As such I bracket every shot I take so I have three exposures to work from, even if it isn't always necessary. Before blending I may tweak the curves further, altering the curve for R, G and B channels individually- this can be done in LR but I find it easier to control in PS. Some images will receive a soft light filter using gradients before a final sharpen, noise reduction and resize.

I'm very new to LR and am constantly learning how to improve my edits, but it's a very powerful piece of software and has improved my landscape editing massively since I started using it 6 months ago.

Hope that helps, as ever there's no right or wrong way to do this, just your way!

Thanks for that Mate!

I have a lot to learn. How did you learn ? You tube tutorials?

LS looks expensive (seems you can only get it monthly now?)

But I just want to reiterate - these are absolute top drawer!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Andyph wrote:
Wed 18 Nov 2020, 3:31 am
Seamus wrote:
Tue 17 Nov 2020, 1:30 pm
Andyph wrote:

Thanks for that Mate!

I have a lot to learn. How did you learn ? You tube tutorials?

LS looks expensive (seems you can only get it monthly now?)

But I just want to reiterate - these are absolute top drawer!
Thanks again, and no worries, like I said I'm new to this and there are probably much better ways to do things, but it's a workflow that works for me. I've learned various techiniques in PS through a good friend (who is basically my guru!) as well as youtube tutorials, LR has been a combination of tutorials and self teaching. Having only ever used PS Elements, I was finding it increasingly more limited for my landscape editing (it's absolutely fine for my aviaiton photography and still my go to software for that) so took the plunge in May and committed to an Adobe subscription. For a tenner a month I think I've got decent value out of it so far, especially as I'm doing more and more landscape photography and relatively less aviation these days.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Incredible shots, and well edited, great to see thanks :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)