48 Hours Photo Comp: Autumn conditions

Communal photo threads for specific aircraft types, operators etc.
Ridgeback1

48 Hours Photo Comp: Autumn conditions

Post by Ridgeback1 »

Now on to the next round, it's autumn season and that makes for truly excellent photoconditions.

So that's the next subject, per person three pictures in autumn conditions.
I'm a sucker for stories behind a picture, so I would like to invite everyone to share his or her story behind the picture.

Have fun everyone. A few starters from my side to get this rolling.

Farewell event of the Mirage 3 in Swiss AF at Stans-Buochs airbase.
The day before we witnessed operational flying in greyish conditions. On the morning of the event a line of Mirages was assembled in much better conditions :grinning:
Image19991021 = Mirage 3DS J-2012 by Melvin Furster, on Flickr

Ever since seeing a German AF Phantom at my once local Soesterberg AB, the Spook has kept a special place in my heart.
In 2014 I was fortunate to be able to visit Japan. The JASDF had a military review fly past at Hyakuri coinciding with 60 years Japanese AF, the day was mixed weather, but at the end of the day when 4 Phantoms returned autumn conditions prevailed, good memories.
Image20141026-35 Hyakuri = F-4 by Melvin Furster, on Flickr

I started the morning at Gilze-Rijen AB and saw this workhorse departing in the general direction of low level training area "GLV V". It was not the primary plan, but somehow I found myself on the highway chasing the chinook, a trip which takes 30-40 minutes driving and walking to get into the GLV V. Fortunately the crew enjoyed themselves for about 2 hours, giving ample opportunities for photography.
Image20191030-163326 GLV5 = CH-47 by Melvin Furster, on Flickr

Draken

Re: 48 Hours Photo Comp: Autumn conditions

Post by Draken »

I guess I'll follow your Japan/Switzerland lead here :)

1. End of October 2018 in Hyakuri, amazing few days with great conditions

2. My last visit in Meiringen before leaving Swizterland (spent there almost 2 years)... Bitter-sweet day - bad weather and not much action but great day with my Swiss friends.

3. Non-mil entries are valid, right? ;)
Amazing autumn in Geneva, my first spotting with brand new Canon 7DmkII+Canon 100-400IS L mkII - straight out of the box that day ;)

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

Back in the days when the Mach Loop had traffic. On a freezing November day I had my first trip to Corris Corner and 5 hours and only 1 Hawk in crap light. My frozen body was just thinking of going home then some small breaks in the cloud and 1 pass by MacRobert's Reply-well worth the wait

ImageRAF Tornado GR4 ex XV squadron MacRoberts Reply through Corris Corner by Peter Fenwick, on Flickr

Back in 2012 in October Lossiemouth had a rare Enthusiast's Day.I believe only 80 or so (2 coaches). Emailed as soon as the invitation opened. Several days later an email to say sorry it was heavily oversubscribed and I had not got a place. A few days before the chosen date another email there had been several drop outs and did I want a place, Brilliant-well worth the 800 mile round trip. The weather largely played ball-home based Tornados, Typhoons and Swedish Gripens. Wonderful RAF hospitality

ImageRAF Lossiemouth Panavia Tornados GR4 by Peter Fenwick, on Flickr

My one and only Japan trip with the brilliant 4Aviation in Autumn. Who can resist a Japanese RF=4 at Hyakuri

ImageUntitled by Peter Fenwick, on Flickr

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Taken in december 2018, It was one of the twighlight engine runs of the Shackleton, It had just rained a lot and was clearing up as I saw the rainbow and thought that would make a nice picture.
Image580A9512 by andrew abbott, on Flickr

The 20th anniversary of XL231 arriving at Elvington on retirement, Shes taken care of by the Xl231 resroration team, lead by her owner Andre tempest. Here she is completing her fast taxi run at the exact time she landed at elvington. Shes still very much live. In the cockpit was Andre, Their live RAF pilot, Ollie suckling and Squadron Leader Martin Withers DFC as guest. This run was dedicated to Andre's dad who passed away that year.

Imagevictor 1 by andrew abbott, on Flickr

Finally, I dont know if December 5th is autumn but that is when it was taken. A few freinds and I decided to take a trip in the freezing cold to Coniningsby. As we were leaving after a really good day with loads of Typhoon pics, someone said "tonka on the way" and in glorious golden light she did a few passes and this was the last one as the light started to go.
Imagemarham tonka by andrew abbott, on Flickr

Ironically I'm listening to forever Autumn as I type this. One towered over big ben ...ULLLAH!!!
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

ImageDo you even lift? by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageAnti-Sub Debut by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageNinja Robes by Tom Jones, on Flickr

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I have no golden or russet leaves to show.

Tall in the Saddle leaving Old Warden Race Day in late setting sunshine in October 2016
Imagerd11 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

At the same show the beautiful DH88 Comet went up late in the soft late afternoon light for a second display
Imagerd14 by Paul Downes, on Flickr

At Co-operative Key in October 2002 time was running out on my trip to catch a Bulgarian Frogfoot in the sun, luckily this one went up in the late evening and landed about 10 minutes before sunset. OK in these digital times, but on KR64, on 1/80th of a second, waiting a few weeks before you see what you have. Tense times. Look at the horizontal shadow on the tailplane.
Imageimg379 by Paul Downes, on Flickr
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Autumn at Lake Wanaka.

Totally awesome watching the Catalina do a water landing and takeoff prior to the Airshow

ImageIMG_5824 by Andy Heap, on Flickr

Air NZ 737 on approach to Queenstown over the Shotover river

Image705 (2) by Andy Heap, on Flickr

Or perhaps you mean this by Autumn Colours? Very English!

This was the return of the Spitfire to Omaka after a long rebuild. Was crashed by Tim Wallis on take off - he was used to flying a Merlin powered spit and needed opposite rudder for the Griffon.

Image300b (68) by Andy Heap, on Flickr

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Dakota bathed in late afternoon light at Duxford, October 2007
ImageIMG_6846 by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Shuttleworth's Camel taking off from Old Warden, October 2018
ImageSopwith Camel F1 Replica D1851 / G-BZSC by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Max Holste Broussard 5-ML/G-CIGH leaving Old Warden, also October 2018
ImageMax Holste Broussard 5-ML / G-CIGH by Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Andy

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Beaver at Vancouver seaplane port in November 2010.

ImagezDSC_2635D by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

Avent DC-10 freighter arrives at Liege in October 2009.
ImagezDSC_1898C by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

Harbour Turbine Otter at Vancouver October 2010.
ImagezDSC_0945D by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

North Weald November 2013

North Weald Novewmber 2014

North Weald October 2015

Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Towards the end of the Race Day & Roaring Twenties Finale at Old Warden back in October 2016, the light on offer was amazing.
de Havilland DH88 Comet - Race Day & Roaring Twenties Finale, Old Warden, Sunday 2nd October 2016 by Chris Day, on Flickr

The trees wrapped around the old racetrack at Brooklands also make for a good backdrop, especially with the autumnal colours.
British Aircraft Corporation Concorde - Brooklands Museum, Sunday 20th November 2016 by Chris Day, on Flickr

And from a long time ago, the much missed Duxford Autumn Airshow back in 2007.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress - Duxford Autumn Airshow 2007, Sunday 14th October 2007 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Always looking to capture the aircraft-in-front-of-the-Moon picture but it can prove hard. But managed to get an unidentified airliner quite close to a waning moon, at 8 on a November morning.

Low-light, murky skies, yes autumn can be struggle. These were all in play when two Pandas arrived at Edinburgh, for display in the city's zoo in 2011.

Sometimes the sun does break through in autumn, as for the arrival of a 787, again at Edinburgh, from much brighter and warmer location.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Three from me:

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

buccs2b

Post by buccs2b »

Another good theme

First up, back to 20 October 1986 and a trip to IWM Duxford. Typical autumn day started dull, then some rain, then some sun
ImageDuxford_19861020_0036 by Tony Adams, on Flickr

Moving on to Nellis in October 1996, the afternoon serials returning to the circuit. The sun catching the underside of the Nighthawk
ImageNighthawk_Red_Flag_1996_0003 by Tony Adams, on Flickr

6 October 2010, A109E departing RAF Valley Enthusiasts' Day
ImageIMG_3137 by Tony Adams, on Flickr
I hear gliders

Peter345

Post by Peter345 »

Three from the Loop from autumns past...

October 31st 2008. Ian and I spent the day up Corris Corner to make the most of the colourful autumn backdrop. No frontliners that day, apart from a German Tornado that teased us with a couple of high passes. This was the best of the day for the autumn colours...
ImageHawk T.1A Low Level in Wales by Peter Starling, on Flickr

30th October 2009. I think this was my one and only trip to the loop with prior knowledge of a planned pass. This was a fini flight for a pilot off back to the states. He gave us a series of stunning passes through Cad...
ImageF-15E Strike Eagle by Peter Starling, on Flickr

November 17th 2007. Back up Corris Corner. Although a bit late for the autumnal backdrop, I dropped lucky with some fantastic flying from the F-15 crews. The light was pretty dire but we all like to see some clouds being made!
ImageF-15E Strike Eagle Low Level in Wales by Peter Starling, on Flickr

Peter

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

I guess my one and only Autumn airshow was Aviation Nation at Nellis AFB, on November 13th, 2011.
So here are a few "evening light" shots of this event:

ImageDSC_0670 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

ImageDSC_0668 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

ImageDSC_0675 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Some stunning entries so far, but I'll put a few images forward nevertheless.

Firstly, as many have mentioned, the softer sunlight gives much nice photographs without harsh shadows, as this shot from Koksijde Air Base in October 2016 shows.

And for those days where the sun doesn't make an appearance, at least we have beautifully coloured backgrounds with the Autumn trees. This shot from a very cold day spent spotting in Berlin.

Finally, a combination of warm sunlight, and colourful trees, at Old Warden.

Ridgeback1

Post by Ridgeback1 »

OK, time to decide.

Lovely entries all around, many stood out for me personally:

Draken, fantastic autumn colours on that Saudi airliner.
PeteFenwick, lovely light on a tornado line-up and the tower making for nice composition.
Andy XH558, mystic light on an aircraft with a special story.
Seamus, wow low level Sea King with autumn colours in the background
Andyph, Catalina on water :astonished:
DerekF, Beaver on water at sunset :open_mouth:
Peter345, low level Hawk with a beautiful range of colours

But the absolute winner for me is Mictheslik with the low level Harrier, it feels like painting combining autumn conditions with our beloved hobby.
Well done and over to you!

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Thanks Ridgeback. That was my last ever pass from a UK Harrier, and the colours and lighting couldn’t have been better.

Another great crop of entries though. New competition up shortly.

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?