another one bites the dust - Brunty's Super Guppy to be cut up

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
andygolfer

another one bites the dust - Brunty's Super Guppy to be cut up

Post by andygolfer »

Rather sad news as I've been associated with the group doing restoration work since they started 11 years ago as I ran their website and forum.

this has just been posted on the project facebook page (Super Guppy Restoration Project) by the project leader

Evening all.

I have an update and I'm afraid it is not good news.

She has been moved to the disposal pan, prior to being cut up. I don't know when it's going to happen, but it is inevitable. At the end of the day, it's not our aircraft and she's on somebody elses land. We had zero say in any of this and everything we've heard has been third hand. Nobody in any position of authority has even picked up the phone to talk to us. It's a very sad end to 11 years of work and a complete waste of thousands of pounds.

We'll keep this page up, for posterity if nothing else, but we are actively looking for a new project. We've gathered a lot of kit and knowledge over the years and it'd be a shame to let that go to waste.

Any money we have left in the coffers, which isn't a great deal, will go to another restoration project, most likely the Typhoon restoration, but no decisions have been made yet.

We're really very sorry and we thank you for supporting us over the years.

another kick in the teeth for UK aviation restoration enthusiasts

Andy (feeling gutted this evening)
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Ant.H

Re: another one bites the dust - Brunty's Super Guppy to be cut up

Post by Ant.H »

UK preservation is full of valiant efforts like this, it's a great shame if she really is going to be cut up.

Commiserations to the Guppy team and all credit for thinking ahead to future projects.

VRT Southend Vulcan

Post by VRT Southend Vulcan »

Very sorry to read this, Andy - such a thing is the ultimate nightmare for any aircraft preservation group. I can only imagine it was made worse because the team was powerless to do anything about it and no one had the decency to let you know what was going on.

Rich
Vulcan Restoration Trust
Preserving Vulcan XL426 at London Southend Airport
Registered Charity No 1058111

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

That is truly sad news and incredibly short sighted by those making the decisions.
Its significance to the UK may not be that great, but it is the only one we have (had).
Having been allowed on board during the open days, there always seemed to be a queue to get on and the open-mouthed expressions of people stood in the cargo hold always made me smile.
I think what I am trying to say is that it was a draw to the less aviation-minded and for a number of those is probably the memory they take away with them just as much as the “noisy fighters” blasting down the runway.
Without this unique to the UK type any museum at Bruntingthorpe will be just another aeroplane museum to most people.

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

A very sad end for the groups work. It was always a pleasure going on board on open days. Large aircraft in the UK have always been at risk but recently it seems the decline has sped up.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

While i'm sure David Walton will produce a good museum for his few aircraft, the ones that are leaving , or in this case along with the VC10's to go, scrapped will create a void that before had Brunty as 'The' Place to go, but now, or very soon, its just a small so so museum with a few planes off the M1 down some high hedged country lanes.

How many have left Brunty now since this all started?

I feel so sorry for the Super Guppy guys, what a waste for them, and they must be truly sad that their work has come to nought.
Got to love Russianhardware