Airshow melancholy.

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Sid-104

Airshow melancholy.

Post by Sid-104 »

With 2020 coming to an end, so will end my 46 consecutive years attending airshows beginning with the Burma Star Association show at Waterbeach in 1974. So guys, I'm thinking there are plenty of you who can go back much further than this. What was your first show and how long a run did you get in before the virus stopped us?

Sid.

jasonT1981

Re: Airshow melancholy.

Post by jasonT1981 »

1982-2000 was my biggest streak. Going to the likes of Newtownards, Eglington and Aldergrove shows. First one would have been Newtownards 1982 and that's where I also took my first flight apparently in one of the 10 minute 'pleasure flights' offered by the airfield before the show began

After 2000 I still had an interest in aviation, but due to other things in life I never got to any shows. 2010 saw my town start their own show and that peaked my interest again so 2010-2019 was my 2nd streak.

Up until RIAT 2017 I had never been to a show outside the island of Ireland.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks to Old Warden (God bless ‘em) and Duxford Showcase days, 2021 turned out much better than it could have been. With visits to Headcorn and Biggin Hill as well over the summer, I saw 14 or 15 different Spitfires in the air this year.

My first show would probably have been to RAF Coltishall Battle of Britain days in the late-1960s, and since the mid-1970s I've been to quite a few airshows every year.
Last edited by Mike on Tue 01 Dec 2020, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

I have been to at least one airshow every year from 1976 to 2019. and it really feels strange not going to one this year.

First one was Woodford in 1976 and my up to now last one was the Dakotas over Duxford last year.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

micktruan

Post by micktruan »

My first air show proper was back in South Africa, 69/70, returning to the UK my first was at North Weald and every year to 2019 and then came along the pandemic, reminds me that I’ll have to find a photo sharing platform so I can share some of my experiences.

Regards Mick

Robin

Post by Robin »

The first airshow that I remember attending was one that took place at Speke Airport, Liverpool, on 21 May 1956. This show was one of the first public air displays to take place after WW2 and was attended by a large number of spectators. This airshow was mainly remembered as it was during this event that the famous French 'birdman' Leo Valentin lost his life. Also taking part were the USAF F86 Sabre Aerobatic Team on their European Tour. The following year I attended the SBAC Show at Farnborough among others, and also managed to attend air shows most years after that, the last display being the Battle of Britain Show at Jersey in 2019. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I was taken to the SBAC show at Farnborough in 1956 (aged 9). There were a few shows in the 1960s which I attended as school outings and then on my own, including Rochester which was the first time I ever saw the Cosmic Wind "Ballerina" (almost can't believe I was still watching and photographing/videoing that earlier this year) one of the very early Biggin Hill air trade fairs and (of course) Farnborough (by bus from Portsmouth!). Carried on with various shows through the 70s, 80s including of course such as the Great Warbirds at West Malling, the Fighter meet at North Weald Mildenhall, Alconbury and IAT/RIAT. After a brief period in the mid 90s when life got in the way I resumed airshow-going in the later 90s and have continued ever since so, in all, 60 plus years.

And the virus hasn't stopped us yet! I attended several events at Old Warden and several "Showcase Days" at Duxford in 2020.

Looking forward to what I think could be a good season in 2021 given the imminent deployment of the vaccine.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Greenham common 1977 (aged 7) and Farnborough 78. Since then missed a couple of RIAT's when it went to Cottesmore (it's up north after all!). Been to many Yeoviltons, all the Farnborough's since 78, Biggin Hills of the 78-mid 90's, plus the odd Cosford. Plus events in the US and Europe.

shorsley

Post by shorsley »

My dad took me to the Daedalus shows in the late 80s/early 90s when I was a nipper, but I started taking myself off to shows on my own in 2011 after I passed my driving test. The first show of my current run was Farnborough in 2008 as I could do it on public transport. I also went to Bournemouth in 2009 as I was at Uni there.

Thankfully I've been able to do four nightshoots, get to Heathrow several times including for several 747 flights, see a 747 go into Dunsfold, seen the Reds & PdF over London and seen the NHS and Goodwood Spitfires (including the elusive G-IRTY) and managed to see the Red Arrows on base at Scampton. And hopefully will get to see the Landor going in to Dunsfold if the rumours are true.

So it's not been a bad aviation year, but I have really missed airshows.
"I have a good pilot and a safe pilot."

Flickr

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

My first airshow was a Leuchars show in 1970 and I've been to at least one show every year since, including this year- an Old Warden show in July.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Did not get to a show this year. Odd feeling really. First shows were Air Fetes mid 80s. Let's hope some can take place next year, chances look better than they did 6 months ago.

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

Didn’t make any shows this year either, which felt very strange as summer holidays tend to revolve around shows, fly-ins and/or museum visits. Only managed Cosford on the museum front too.
First show attended was at Halfpenny Green in the 70’s but I was so young that I can only just about remember bits - the Reds flying Gnats being the main memory.
Fast forward to the 80’s and the Abingdon At Home days became an annual trip from ‘84, along with Fairford every other year from ‘85.
In more recent times the bigger shows fell by the wayside as I got completely fed up with the bun fight to get to the front and the increasingly nasty attitude of some people in the crowd. That left Old Warden and the smaller events which became much more enjoyable. How many of these come back once/if the world gets back to normal remains to be seen (Shuttleworth aside).

warferry

Post by warferry »

I to visited Farnborough air show by bus from Portsmouth in 1952 aged 14.
Luckily not on John Derry crash day. The bus trip took forever and I went many times on it.
The I of W passengers often missed the last ferry back to the island.
Great times you should look at the program online .

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

First was Leuchars in 1971 and probably been to at least one show a year, until 2020.

Living in the airshow wastelands of Scotland we now only get one a year with East Fortune in July. Leuchars was a staple and we had Prestwick too for a short while.

Travelling south to the big shows is not always easy so this side has not been done for what would be quite a few years come to think of it. Used to enjoy visits to Mildenhall, Farnborough, Fairford and the like.

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 »

warferry wrote:
Sun 29 Nov 2020, 10:05 am
I to visited Farnborough air show by bus from Portsmouth in 1952 aged 14.
Luckily not on John Derry crash day. The bus trip took forever and I went many times on it.
The I of W passengers often missed the last ferry back to the island.
Great times you should look at the program online .
I recall visiting the US Navy 100 anniversary show at Jacksonville. We had some time chatting while watching the flying. Hopefully you'll remember me Terry?

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Obviously being a fair bit younger than some on here(!), my very first airshow was Legends 2003, and have actually managed to attend a show every year since, although 2005 - 2011 was only RIAT (2008 - Farnborough)

warferry

Post by warferry »

Sid-04 Well remember you,glad to see you are still on UKAR forums.
The USN 100 show was not reported much on by the magazines it was fantastic.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Well, I started young; 2020 will be the first full year out of my 64 so far, without attending a single airshow...
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Seahornet wrote:
Mon 30 Nov 2020, 8:53 pm
Well, I started young; 2020 will be the first full year out of my 64 so far, without attending a single airshow...
Same age here with a similar start - although I did freeze my *rse off at Headcorn in the wind and rain this year!

Andy

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

The first show that I remember going to was the RAF St Mawgan BoB display in 1970, although my parents assured me they took me to a show there when I was a toddler. I've attended 2 or 3 Airshows every year (I think just RIAT in 1999) but haven't been to an Airshow since 2016. I miss the shows of the 80s and 90s however in my humble opinion they've become rather stale and repetitive over the last 10 years or so.

I remember the excitement of turning up at a show and wondering what surprises would be laid out in front of you, that was part of the fun. With the advent of the internet there are no surprises, everything is known in advance, even individual aircraft serials. I completely agree with a previous comment about bun fights and the attitude of some of the crowd.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I was very lucky to have my first show in the late 70s (Farnborough) which led me to the superb 80s era (was the 80's the best airshow decade? - not sure how to set up a vote), thank goodness for Youtube during lockdown to revisit Mildenhall again and again.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

80s and 90s for me. Quality and variety the like of which we won't see again.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

My first 2 shows were Blackbushe in about '66/67 and Abingdon in either '68 or '69.
Then every Mildenhall from 1974, Finningley and Abingdon BoB from about 1975 and every (R)IAT since 1977.
The best bits - special time with my dad at every show up until 2010.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I haven’t been a regular airshow attendee for some years, but keep my hand in helping out with aircraft preservation.

My first show was the Biggin Hill Battle of Britain Day in 1968. I don’t remember much about it apart from that the first aircraft I saw on arrival in the static was a Handley Page Hastings and a fly past by four USAF F-100 Super Sabres.
Ken

Orion

Post by Orion »

My first one was Burtonwood in 1954. In those days shows were few and far between and difficult to get to because of the isolation of most airfields. Generally it was railway to the nearest station and then bicycle.
From memory the attendees included WB-50, B-66, F-84, F-86, Globemaster, Packet, C-47, Canberra, Comet and Hunter. But I think there was probably more to it than that