RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Rossbeef

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Rossbeef »

A welcome addition. I enjoy the Swiss Hornet. Will have to go some to beat the Finnish display from a couple of years ago though, that was absolutely fantastic.

Fingers crossed the world doesn't go t*ts up again and we get a show. I was dumb enough to book a hotel without a cancellation option :worried:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Rossbeef wrote:
Mon 17 Jan 2022, 1:29 pm
A welcome addition. I enjoy the Swiss Hornet. Will have to go some to beat the Finnish display from a couple of years ago though, that was absolutely fantastic.

Fingers crossed the world doesn't go t*ts up again and we get a show. I was dumb enough to book a hotel without a cancellation option :worried:

2019? The Finnish F18 was absolutely incredible that year. Great to see the Swiss announced so early. Hopefully their F5 team also.

I'm very hopefully it will go ahead, we are close to moving to an endemic stage apparently, so just like Downing Street lies, we need to learn to live with it lol. Seriously though. We are in a VERY different place from this time last year and the time RIAT got cancelled, over 60% triple jabbed when last year at the time of cancelation most didn't even have 1 jab, and we have a far weaker strain that for most is a common cold/flu. I do see them asking for Vaccine passport/Negative LFT though and I am sure all measures will be taken so we can have a show this year.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Excellent addition (when confirmed by DBH etc etc...) and often noted for special flypast with other Swiss participants too in the past.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

do the enthusiasts on here perfer the aircraft updates under the traffic light system that they have now or the old fashioned way?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

What was the old fashioned way? I only know the traffic light system.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm
the traffic light system came out in 2012

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Yeah, my first RIAT was 2017 lol so never knew the older way.

What did they used to do before it?

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 19 Jan 2022, 1:33 pm
Yeah, my first RIAT was 2017 lol so never knew the older way.

not sure my first was 2013

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Boris' statement in the Commons today on restrictions is telling. Unless something else and more sinister kicks off, you won't be mask wearing (unless you want to), you won't be LFTing or even social distancing. So I can imagine where talk of Covid passports in July will be deposited. Right in file 13.

March 26th is the new freedom day by the look of it. So let's crack on.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

spellow3010 wrote:
Wed 19 Jan 2022, 1:36 pm
or earlier if it helps him save his job

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 19 Jan 2022, 1:33 pm
It’s been over ten years, but if you wanted to the old threads will be here between ‘08 & ‘11.

If memory serves, it differed slightly each year. Occasionally it was random updates - ie when they had a decent chunk to throw out. Otherwise it was a regular two or three weekly Friday update, I think?

No “invited nations” no narrative, no “aircraft spotlight, no photograph of a certain type, no traffic lights or anything.

Just the participation list quietly updated with new additions in italics, and then an eagle-eyed person would spot it, and post it.

(So, yes, I much-prefer the traffic light and regular update pattern, though being ten(!) years old, it’s probably overdue a bit of a touch-up!)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Yeah, deff prefer the newer traffic light system, gives you something to look forward to every Thursday!

knoxy17

Post by knoxy17 »

Why don't they bring back the mole 🐾

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Now *that’s* something I really miss.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

I really hope the Russia - Ukraine tension is resolved soon because I dont think Ukraine would send over any aircraft in the current situation.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

knoxy17 wrote:
Wed 19 Jan 2022, 6:00 pm
Why don't they bring back the mole 🐾
I think the mole may have been trapped and relocated, would more likely be Mole 2 or Son of Mole now, maybe his Mexican cousin Guaco?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

No long left for the Romanian Mig 21s. Due to retire in 2024 so hopefully a couple of last RIATs for them.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm
The old fashioned way was either join FIAT, no R in those days, and get a couple of photocopied lists in March and June; keeping fingers crossed that the F-106s would turn up (they didn’t). Or turn up on the day and get some great surprises.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

I wonder if we are going to a get a decent line up of p-8's please pretty please.

CJS

Post by CJS »

They'd all look the same, you realise that, don't you? 🙃

Although an Indian Navy one would be cool, I grant you that 👍🏼
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

spellow3010 wrote:
Boris' statement in the Commons today on restrictions is telling. Unless something else and more sinister kicks off, you won't be mask wearing (unless you want to), you won't be LFTing or even social distancing. So I can imagine where talk of Covid passports in July will be deposited. Right in file 13.

You might want to think about this a little more...

A reminder that overseas participation is a huge part of RIAT. If the UK is still seeing ridiculously high case rates, then that's likely to impact their decision in sending over aircrew and risking them not being able to fly back as expected

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

CJS wrote:
Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:34 am
They'd all look the same, you realise that, don't you? 🙃

Although an Indian Navy one would be cool, I grant you that 👍🏼
Granted they all look the same, but then so does a line up of kc-135's however it's nice to cross off a few tailcodes.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Gentle reminder that I appreciate the lines are blurred, but random and out of the blue “hey, X would be nice!” isn’t really a discussion about the event itself, and probably belongs in a wish list.

To avoid the mods the work of splitting, merging, moving posts, and generally declogging threads. I would appreciate if people could post in the appropriate thread. If there isn’t a 2022 wish list, then make one.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Dan213 wrote:
Sat 22 Jan 2022, 3:31 pm
spellow3010 wrote:

You might want to think about this a little more...

A reminder that overseas participation is a huge part of RIAT. If the UK is still seeing ridiculously high case rates, then that's likely to impact their decision in sending over aircrew and risking them not being able to fly back as expected
What will be will be won't it? But as I said, unless something more sinister kicks off, there will be no UK Government enforceable restrictions - the emergency legislation is being curtailed by the end of March (subject to review). The Prime Minister said as much last week. Maybe he was lying about that... he has form.

Given the Omicron experience 'in the round,' it seems that case numbers do not really count any longer. We are no longer shocked by 100,000 in a day. There's even suspicion about actual death figures at the moment (tragic as they are) depending on which scientist or media outlet one chooses to invest time in listening to.

RIAT organisers will (I should imagine) wring their hands and take a view on what/if any event specific restrictions they wish to impose/enforce that fall outside of any expected Government emergency legislation. But come July, the UK is seemingly going to be open for 'business as usual.' Whether that encourages, or deters foreign attendance, that is really a matter for individual nations/air arms to debate. I'm not blinkered to their own risk management for agreeing to attend, right up until 'wheels down on 27 or 09.'

We could be at war with Russia by then and make all of this moot.

Like many across this forum, I've done my part in all of this... locked down... worked from home... worn a mask... locked down again... jabbed thrice... not hugged anyone... not shaken anyone's hand... experienced two Virtual RIATS... etc. So now it's time to crack on. No mask at Park and View East or FRIAT marquee... and no stash of LFTs to last 6 days thank you very much.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

For those curious about airshow marketing (and being 'realigned') .....

https://www.thedrum.com/profile/pinpoin ... oint-media