F-35 Ooops?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
gamecock

Re: F-35 Ooops?

Post by gamecock »

Due to centrifugal force, most FOD ends up impacting the tips of the LP compressor blades and goes down the bypass of a turbofan engine. Very little goes through the combustion chamber and turbine sections. I don’t know anything about the F-135, but it’s possible for a large item to sit in front of the fan until higher powered settings are applied, and it may then have caused the engine to surge, which would have choked the airflow. Remember the guy who got sucked into the A-6?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

DanL and I had a presentation/lecture from a guy who was apparently the chief engineer on the fan system after I poo-poo'd the aircraft to him (not knowing who he was at the time) the week before. It was about the fan system and how it can deflect FOD and stuff, it was very interesting.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

BryanAllman

Post by BryanAllman »

Probably lack of 100 octane fuel available so tried to run it on 95 .......

Ooops - wrong forum ....

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

iainpeden wrote:
Wed 24 Nov 2021, 10:26 am
If true the Vulcan silicon bag episode pails into insignificance.
If true, I wonder if the people that were screaming about VttS being 'amateurs' and 'should be shut down', will be saying the same about the military? :whistle:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Reds Rolling wrote:
Sun 28 Nov 2021, 9:34 pm
If true, I wonder if the people that were screaming about VttS being 'amateurs' and 'should be shut down', will be saying the same about the military? :whistle:
They should bin the F-35 worldwide, not only because of this", but also because of it's looks. Remember 'if it looks right, it flies right', so you will have to have completed multiple test pilot training courses go get a F-35 airborne.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Someone was watching over him that day!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

No wonder it wasn’t going fast enough with that blooming great air brake open.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Obviously the flight manual is top secret and so we can't check to see if the F-35 is fitted with a handbrake. But they might want to look at that area just to check.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Is that his parachute getting caught on the end of the ramp right at the end of the video?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Difficult to say, but it might well be.

Archer

Post by Archer »

Posts on other forums have indicated that there was a rumour that he ended up suspended by his chute from the flightdeck edge. The video appears to confirm that the chute did snag on the edge. I assume that the pilot waited for the QE to come to a stop before releasing himself from the harness....

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Is it genuine - there are apparently a lot of F-35s parked by the ski ramp and one looks to have a large, full colour, star'n'bar on it?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

That area is known as the "graveyard" according to other leaked documents in the past.

One of the deployed USMC F-35s had the red and white striped tail, but it doesn't have a full colour roundel. I can't even make out any roundels in that video, let alone whether it's colourful or not!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

It was more the clip on tv that made me wonder.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Sun 28 Nov 2021, 10:31 pm
Reds Rolling wrote:
They should bin the F-35 worldwide, not only because of this", but also because of it's looks. Remember 'if it looks right, it flies right', so you will have to have completed multiple test pilot training courses go get a F-35 airborne.
As I have commented before, imagine the procurement committee meeting...

"That aircraft has better range, better maneuverability, can carry more stores and is more stealthy, but this one is prettier, so we will buy this one"
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

For what it's worth I've read the airframe may have been ZM152. Poor guy!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

phreakf4 wrote:
Tue 30 Nov 2021, 7:35 pm
aviodromefriend wrote:
Sun 28 Nov 2021, 10:31 pm
Reds Rolling wrote:
As I have commented before, imagine the procurement committee meeting...

"That aircraft has better range, better maneuverability, can carry more stores and is more stealthy, but this one is prettier, so we will buy this one"
Exactly, sadly that procurement committee weren't sitting when they chose this one....... :grimacing: :nerd: :thinking:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

XP282

Post by XP282 »

K5054NZ wrote:
Wed 01 Dec 2021, 2:54 am
For what it's worth I've read the airframe may have been ZM152. Poor guy!!
Please excuse my ignorance but is there any significance to ZM152??

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

It just means if you are a number taker and need it to complete the set - tough.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the salvaged wreckage.

I doubt it’ll be of any particular value generally, and appears to be salvaged to prevent the Russians from doing the same, but maybe there are some parts salvageable from it.

With a bit of refurbishment, a prospective museum piece or RAF Marham gate guard, perhaps?

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 03 Dec 2021, 7:26 pm
It just means if you are a number taker and need it to complete the set - tough.
Genuine question - when there is a non fatal incident like this would they not just re-allocate the number to the next one off the line or is there a tradition of superstition and confining to the great log book in the sky?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

starbuck wrote:
Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:17 pm
iainpeden wrote:
Fri 03 Dec 2021, 7:26 pm
Genuine question - when there is a non fatal incident like this would they not just re-allocate the number to the next one off the line or is there a tradition of superstition and confining to the great log book in the sky?
Serials for the rest of the fleet are probably allocated already, but you are right it won't be re-used - though I think its simple bureaucracy about aircraft individual identity, not superstition.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Identities aren't reallocated once an airframe has been built.

Had ZM152 had an issue on the production line and been scrapped, another airframe may have become ZM152.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »