Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Berf

Re: Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Post by Berf »

be a part of history probably means it's the first STEM Expo and you can be a part of it - have a good day.

Berf

Post by Berf »

ARE YOU READY FOR THE BOOM?! The 2022 #AvAirshow is ON, October 15-16. Celebrating 75 years of supersonic flight, and 75 years of the United States Air Force! More info coming throughout the summer, but here's a little info for the fans:
✔️ - The United States Air Force Thunderbirds
✔️- The USAF Wings of Blue Parachute Team
✔️- 60+ #STEM Exhibitors, Largest #USAF Stem Expo In History!
✔️- AMC C-17 West Coast Demo Team
✔️- "Race to Mach 1" Sonic Boom Demo
✔️- Edwards F-22, F-35, F-16, T-38, KC-135, KC-46, B-1, B-52 both in air, and on the ground!
✔️- An abundance of NASA aircraft
That's just the beginning. 😉
Admission is FREE! Premium seating options available soon. This will be the premiere Southern California aerospace event. Are you ready?

Static
Edwards F-22 Raptor
Edwards F-35 Lightning II
Edwards F-16 Viper
Edwards T-38 Talon
Edwards C-12 Huron
Edwards B-52 Stratofortress
Edwards B-1 Lancer
Edwards KC-46 Pegasus
Edwards KC-135 Stratotanker
Edwards C-17 Globemasterer
C-5M Super Galaxy
NASA F-15 Eagle
X-62 Vista

Flying

The United States Air Force Thunderbirds
USAF Wings of Blue Parachute Team
AMC C-17 Globemaster III Demo Team
“Race To Mach 1” Demo
Edwards F-22 Raptor
Edwards F-35 Lightning II
Edwards F-16 Viper
Edwards T-38 Talon
Edwards C-12 Huron
Edwards B-52 Stratofortress
Edwards B-1 Lancer
Edwards KC-46 Pegasus
Edwards KC-135 Stratotanker
Edwards RQ-4 Global Hawk
Various NASA Aircraft

verreli

Post by verreli »

Well it's a good start... :grinning:
Interesting is this comment "a large air show headlined by the USAF Thunderbirds Flight Demonstration Team, and several surprises you will have to see to believe!" I wonder what they have in mind?

Berf

Post by Berf »

Friday, October 14 (Closed To General Public)

Note: Edwards Air Force Base will NOT be open to the general public on Friday, October 14.

STEM DAY! Over 12,000 students from across California will arrive at Edwards Air Force Base for a special day of hands-on inspiration and innovation. We may just break the record for ‘Worlds Largest Field Trip’!

The base will be closed to the general public, but open to valid DOD cardholders and Edwards Air Force Base families. A full practice air show will be conducted throughout the afternoon.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Bit disappointed it'll be closed to the general public on the Friday sound barrier anniversary but equally, they seem to be making a big effort with the STEM initiative. Not sure mixing it with 12k kids would be a good thing so roll on the Sat/Sun shows. I think an ealy start will be needed to beat the crowd.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tonight (Wed 29 Jun 2022) the Stratolaunch system will lauch a rocket to orbit for the first time. The Edwards show represents the whole Aerospace Valley including Rutan's faciliy at Mojave. There must be a chance to see this beast - the largest aircraft in the world, either flying or static, at the Edwards show?

Berf

Post by Berf »

It only had its seventh flight a week or so ago - surprised it is launching anything...

but yes I would have thought it was a possible static..

verreli

Post by verreli »

Berf wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 5:48 am
It only had its seventh flight a week or so ago - surprised it is launching anything...

My mistake. It was the modified 747 that was the carrier aircraft, not the stratolaunch and further, they scrubbed the launch.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Berf wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 5:48 am

There is a chance of a fly-by too, if I can't get on Edwards Friday, Mojave is one of my visits that day (until security chase you off - as they usually do)

verreli

Post by verreli »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 1:47 pm
There is a chance of a fly-by too, if I can't get on Edwards Friday, Mojave is one of my visits that day (until security chase you off - as they usually do)
If you fly in you can walk up and down the apron to your hearts content. It's been a few years since I did that though.

Berf

Post by Berf »

To celebrate that first sonic boom and take advantage of holding a rare air show beneath a supersonic corridor, the air show will feature Air Force and NASA jets “going full steam” to see which can break the sound barrier first.

“We want to heighten that and showcase that, because it’s a once-in-a-lifetime for air shows to be able to actually go past Mach .99 and actually hit that sonic boom,” Kohler said.

The crowd will not be able to see the aircraft as they will be at altitude, but “they’re definitely going to hear them and feel them,” he said. “We’re just really excited to showcase that unique part.”

verreli

Post by verreli »

Awesome.

What's the betting that they use the Friday STEM day with all those students as the public unveiling for the B-21? The future in many senses so to speak.

Also, the Boeing Redhawk should be on base by then so possibly another debut?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Website updated. No new info that I can see.

Berf

Post by Berf »

And now, after cancelling my Gothenburg London flight for RIAT, glorious BA has cancelled the Gothenburg London part of the flight to Los Angeles. They have very kindly booked me on the next available Gothenburg London flight which of course arrives at Heathrow 2hr 50mins after the LAX flight has left. The make no mention of the Los Angeles flight on the same booking.... I can only assume Boris Johnson's next job will be head of BA.

verreli

Post by verreli »

I'm flying AA to LAX and they've changed my flight too so it isn't just BA. Annoying but in my case it's a direct flight so the disruption is less. I still think the show will be worth the effort although at this range, until I touch down in LA, I'm not 100% the holiday will go ahead.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Yes, it affects too many people. I really feel sorry for those who have no options and ruined holidays. I also feel quite depressed and sad that the industry I have worked in for the whole of my life is so %%%%.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I’ve already had one flight home cancelled and rebooked by BA.

However they’re obliged to get you on the next closest flight if they cancel. I doubt my two flights will be cancelled, looking at the sear booking, first and business are both full, I’d guess the rest of the plane is too

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Sadly the cost of flights, car and exchange rates means I can not visit Edwards show.
I think that many of BA flight cancellations are to simply consolidate booking and thus avoid flying half empty planes.

verreli

Post by verreli »

I agree. Prices are higher than I paid last time I visited the USA. The flight is about 60% more; hire car about 50% more; fuel is a massive 130% more (not great on a big road trip), hotels about 10% more. I think flight prices are worse now too.

I only reconcile those prices because I haven't had a holiday in 2 years (even in the UK) and the show at Edwards I think will be unique. Where else can you experience a sonic boom? I also think there may be aircraft there you can't see elsewhere but on that one, time will tell.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Some more confirmations:

Static
NASA F15B/D
NASA F/A18D
NASA TG-14
NASA T-34
NASA C20A

Flying
T33 Greg Colyer
Vicky Benzing Aerosports
NASA F15B/D
NASA F/A18D
NASA ER2

verreli

Post by verreli »

Fantastic update with more to come. This is already THE flying fast jet show of the year beating RIAT IMO with some rare birds and potential for more on static.

Flying [F15, F16, F18, F22, F35(A,B&C), T38] + [B1, B52, ER2]
Potential Static [Redhawk, B2, B21, F117]

Didn't think I'd ever see a flying ER2 but here we are. I'm just praying to the aviation gods that Covid stays away for another 97 days.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Hi folks, the seated tickets went on sale today starting from $75, do you think they will allow visitors to bring camping chairs? I heard they are pretty strict stateside about what we can bring in and this is our first airshow in the US.

Thanks

verreli

Post by verreli »

FAQ shows prohibited items and chairs aren't included on the list.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Thanks Verreli

Berf

Post by Berf »

But it's not bring your own in those 75USD seated areas - you are provided with a seat in rows..... as in the images