Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Post by boff180 »

A word of caution, these seats are typically cable tied together too so you get no personal space or the ability to spread out an end of row seat for your camera.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Thanks guys,

Our preference is a couple of folding chairs and trying a few locations to enjoy the show. I'm more concerned about the comfort of my partner (who is indulging my aviation geekiness for the whole weekend) than photography but wasn't too keen on the photos of the show seats anyway, the Viewing Village grandstand at RIAT was enough close contact for one year!

Berf

Post by Berf »

From Edwards social media
To celebrate the first sonic boom and take advantage of holding a rare air show beneath a supersonic corridor, this air show will feature United States Air Force and NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center jets “going full steam” to see which can break the sound barrier first!

verreli

Post by verreli »

Berf wrote:
Wed 10 Aug 2022, 6:37 am
From Edwards social media
To celebrate the first sonic boom and take advantage of holding a rare air show beneath a supersonic corridor, this air show will feature United States Air Force and NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center jets “going full steam” to see which can break the sound barrier first!
All very exciting and to my knowledge very rare if not unique. My guess is it will be by the clock from a standing start at Edwards. The best time from brake release to sonic boom heard at Edwards wins. This will be interesting because it may be the flight profile rather than a straight acceleration test that wins because they would have to be at least supersonic as they pass Edwards. Notwithstanding, and not knowing what aircraft are involved, my money is on the geriatric NASA F-15B with the Airforce F22 a close second but it's anyone's guess. Really looking forward to this.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Edwards Social media:
Scaled Composites Proteus and Long-EZ 'attending'

verreli

Post by verreli »

Website updated with a sprinkling of additional attendees, flying and static. Nothing stand out but there is a Pratt & Whitney F-135 Engine attending. Phwar.

john001

Post by john001 »

NASA DC8 added - flying apparently

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

The Edwards C-17 is showing as flying again :thumbsup:

Berf

Post by Berf »

Northrop Grumman Stargazer - Tristar - static

verreli

Post by verreli »

Berf wrote:
Tue 16 Aug 2022, 3:46 pm
Nice addition. Lets hope SOFIA makes it too.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Berf wrote:
Tue 16 Aug 2022, 3:46 pm
That is indeed a nice addition, the world’s last flying TriStar.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Maybe - it's at Palmdale and the latest mission is supposed to end 30 September (SOFIA that is).

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

As an Edwards debutant (!!) this is going to be a show where I won't have a clue which way to look next!! And that's a good thing - aviation treats at every turn, in the air and on the ground.

Looking forward to the experience.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

verreli

Post by verreli »

I think this will be better than previous shows and be remembered as a 'were you there' style event. There's the two anniversaries but it's being billed as an Aerospace Valley airshow which covers Rutan's facility at Mojave and Plant 42 / Skunk Works to the South i.e so much more than just Edwards test aircraft (fantastic in itself). It's already quite special with the lineup so far but I suspect more will be announced in the next 8 weeks.

That the Friday show is for thousands of school age kids is a good thing for us enthusiasts. It gives the show purpose beyond a community event. What better way to inspire the next generation than show off all the shiny new toys?

An aircraft not mentioned on this thread so far but is due its first flight by year end is the X-59 which is relevant to the 75th anniversary theme, is a Skunk Works aircraft and likely flown from Edwards. Perhaps a potential debut in a hanger on static??? Long shot, I know.

p.s. Don't think the X-59 has a name yet, common to most X aircraft, but should be known as the 'Anteater'.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

By a strange quirk of fate I’m working in the Edwards area ;-) over the Airshow weekend. Having never been to Edwards can any of you advise what the traffic is like before the show, what time the flying normally starts/finishes etc and anything else that may be handy for an Edwards newbie?
Thanks all.

verreli

Post by verreli »

It's my first time to Edwards too so others will have more first hand information but... from the research I've done Edwards is always popular and traffic jams are common. The west entrance is worse than the north due to LA traffic hitting this entrance first. Suspect due to it being a decade since the last one and the sound barrier anniversary it will be popular this year so advise an early start. The show is 9am until 5pm with flying likely from 11am to 4pm - Tbirds including ground show for the last hour. Don't expect there to be individual demos from all the Edwards birds but a takeoff, formation flyby, individual beat up and landing is my expectation. Hope it's more but unlikely. There doesn't seem to be the usual filler acts so it is possible more will be announced or turn up on the day.

Irrespective, Edwards is a rare show and hallowed ground so worth going to visit the location aviation history was made. Exotic rarely seen aircraft both static and flying is the bonus.

p.s. A replica of the Talon-A Stratolaunch hypersonic vehicle will be there. No mention of the launch aircraft but must be a possibility.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Thanks for the info @verreli

Look forward to seeing any updates over the coming weeks to see what goodies are in store.

verreli

Post by verreli »

FAQ updated: https://avairshow.com/faq/
Flying from 11am - 3:30pm Event ends at 4pm. No performer schedule being released prior to the event. It'll be a surprise what we get.

Info on the STEM event too but not much for enthusiasts.

Not mentioned but expected from other US airshows I've attended is a delayed entry and registration required for international guests. Suck it up, be patient, take your passport, get there early and you'll be fine.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

TBH I've never had to do an "international entry" for any US airshow I've ever visited.

One that may be imposed later and tbh is a very good idea for US military shows is to get hold of a clear bag - it really speeds up the bag search and some shows make them mandatory often at very late notice.

Berf

Post by Berf »

What no large four wheel garden trollies?

Bag size cannot exceed a standard school backpack or diaper bag. All bags will be searched upon entry. Please only bring what you absolutely need, use common sense.

Camera (There are currently no lens restrictions, bags cannot exceed standard backpack size.

verreli

Post by verreli »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 04 Sep 2022, 4:13 pm
TBH I've never had to do an "international entry" for any US airshow I've ever visited.
Last show this happened to me was Yuma in 2019. It only added c.15 mins to the entrance process (got caught in a queue behind a bunch of Dutch). They were typing details into a database in real time, not sure why. Perhaps it's base specific?

As for bags, was planning to just carry the camera around all day but looks like a small rucksack should be possible.

roger

Post by roger »

I was also at Yuma 2019 and were told by the US Military personnel stewarding the entry lines that Brits didn't need to have our details recorded - only the non-Brit "foreigners" needed to line up and sign in!

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Yep, Miramar 2019 was an international check - taken to one side and passport flicked through etc. Wasn't particularly stressful. I've experienced worse at RIAT in previous years.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Strange, didn't have to at Lemoore 2019 or Point Mugu 2015 either, just a bag search. Can't speak for the others as I was accredited and had different entry requirements.

verreli

Post by verreli »

There's mounting speculation about a couple of surprises that are being arranged that won't be announced before the show. Realistically what could they pull off? My guess is F117 and SOFIA appearances. Also, the surprises may only happen on one of the two show days so for those only planning on going one day, hope you pick the right one. The info came from an Edwards post on their facebook feed so likely accurate.

A B-21 launch event and Redhawk debut must also still be possible.