Pearl Harbour - 80 Years on

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Paul Waggett

Pearl Harbour - 80 Years on

Post by Paul Waggett »

Is it just me or has anyone else been deafened by what would appear to be a total absence of any coverage of what was, IMO, the single most influential event on modern human history?

ianf

Re: Pearl Harbour - 80 Years on

Post by ianf »

Discovery channel and History channels have been covering it the last week.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Normannis

Post by Normannis »

There was a 3 episode doc on channel 4 or 5

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

There won't be much coverage in the UK in case anyone asks if Churchill knew in advance and said nothing in order to bring America into the war.

Orion

Post by Orion »

People are moving on from the Second World War. They have other concerns now, those of the present.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

"the single most influential event on modern human history?" is a pretty ludicrous way to describe the attack on Pearl Harbour to be honest.

And as Orion said, it's eighty years ago. Nearly a century. Barely anyone nowadays was even alive then. The country's fanatical obsession with the war is unhealthy and debilitating.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Paul Waggett

Post by Paul Waggett »

Wissam24 wrote:
Thu 09 Dec 2021, 3:31 pm
"the single most influential event on modern human history?" is a pretty ludicrous way to describe the attack on Pearl Harbour to be honest.

And as Orion said, it's eighty years ago. Nearly a century. Barely anyone nowadays was even alive then. The country's fanatical obsession with the war is unhealthy and debilitating.
I don't agree. Prior to Dec 7th, the US was a neutral / isolationist country. Had the Japanese NOT attacked, it's unlikely they would have engaged the Japanese in the Pacific, nor would the war in Europe have gone the way it did.

Would we have had the Manhattan Project and/or Apollo? What about Korea or Vietnam? Would they have happened?

And most of the posts on this Forum probably wouldn't exist.

If you can give me an example of a single event in modern human history that changed things in the same way, please feel free to chip in.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

It is difficult to think of an event in modern history that is so crucial.

Certainly wouldn't have had the Cold War. The USSR might have been stopped by Germany in 1944, as it Germany wouldn't be fighting on two fronts as there wouldn't be a D-Day. Or if Soviet Union triumphed, they might have rolled up Europe after Germany was defeated. If so, it might have the Soviets landing on the Moon first, with Commissar von Braun in Star City!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Wissam24 wrote:
Thu 09 Dec 2021, 3:31 pm

There's a lot of rubbish spouted on this forum, but Sam I think this post may have just hit the top of that list.

Pearl Harbour, for a great many reasons, changed the course of American - and therefore world - history. A day that will live in infamy, indeed.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 09 Dec 2021, 9:42 am
There won't be much coverage in the UK in case anyone asks if Churchill knew in advance and said nothing in order to bring America into the war.
This is the post I was replying to, perhaps I should have made that clear.
Actually I agree that the Pearl Harbor attack was crucial to the modern world for reasons that have been explained above, but I still think that that people are moving on from that era as am I (I was born in 1944).
There are other cares and concerns that are of immediate importance.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

When the war is being used often in present-day politics, I'd say it's probably more relevant now than ever. We have a prime minister keen to be seen alongside the WW2 UK prime minister and so knowing the truth about that PM is quite useful in deciding on the values and actions of the current one.

Also, much of the present situation in Ukraine/Russia can be traced back to the Second World War. Understanding why is really important.

Paul Waggett

Post by Paul Waggett »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Fri 10 Dec 2021, 11:28 am
When the war is being used often in present-day politics, I'd say it's probably more relevant now than ever. We have a prime minister keen to be seen alongside the WW2 UK prime minister and so knowing the truth about that PM is quite useful in deciding on the values and actions of the current one.

Also, much of the present situation in Ukraine/Russia can be traced back to the Second World War. Understanding why is really important.
Whilst I acknowledge the view that some feel there are more important and pressing things in life to deal with at present, if WE fail to stop and reflect on past historic events every now and then, what is there to stop the future generations making the same or even more calamitous decisions in the future?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Paul Waggett wrote:
Fri 10 Dec 2021, 12:49 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:

Whilst I acknowledge the view that some feel there are more important and pressing things in life to deal with at present, if WE fail to stop and reflect on past historic events every now and then, what is there to stop the future generations making the same or even more calamitous decisions in the future?
While knowing about bad decisions in the past (and why they were bad) is a superficially attractive thing, a better way to make good decisions is to use good analysis tools and ensure that all identified courses of action are subjected to thorough analysis including (and this is important) the red team input identifying and quantifying all the downsides.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Paul Waggett wrote:
Fri 10 Dec 2021, 12:49 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:

When the war is being used often in present-day politics, I'd say it's probably more relevant now than ever. We have a prime minister keen to be seen alongside the WW2 UK prime minister
and so knowing the truth about that PM is quite useful in deciding on the values and actions of the current one.

More like Dads Army WWII style I think.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What a lot of bizarre revisionism going on in this thread
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

What I see is a more modern and considered look at historical events to be better informed and better placed to discuss these events. I think most people have the ability to consider important historical events with forgetting about the issues troubling the world today. Sadly too often those in charge especially ignore the lessons of the past and are destined to repeat them ad nauseum.

frank

Post by frank »

History does teach us important lessons. However, it is too easy for us in hindsight to criticise actions that were taken in the moment. They were often decisions that had to be made without knowing the full facts or consequences. Time was often of the essence. A perfect modern example is the Russia and the Ukraine. Is it a political gambit to rein in NATO or a serious attempt to expand Mother Russia. We don`t know but hindsight will be able to tell us in due course.

Marathon Milkshake

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

I think some of you should be ashamed. Millions gave their lives so you can all write drivel and use freedom of speech without fear of censorship. It really is a wrapped up in cotton wool society we live in now.
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter