To SLR or not SLR?

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Slinger65

To SLR or not SLR?

Post by Slinger65 »

Hi, I've long been tempted to make the switch to SLR from high-end bridge cameras (currently Panasonic Lumix FZ1000) but never quite made the plunge for one reason or another.

I'm now seriously tempted, but would appreciate some advice and experience. The upsides (picture quality primarily) need to sufficiently outweigh the downsides (portability, cost) to make it worthwhile for me.

My main photography interests are landscapes, wildlife, low light and of course airshows.

Budget-wise I'm thinking up to around £2k for camera and lens(es).

Appreciate any experiences from the forum - positive and lessons learned - that may be able to narrow down what appears to be a huge array of options...

Thx
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

aceyone

Re: To SLR or not SLR?

Post by aceyone »

I think first you should consider the two alternatives to a bridge ie -DSLR or the ( relatively ) new kid on the block ,mirror-less type ,I believe the main players in the market are moving towards the mirror-less format and away from the traditional DSLR ,maybe one of the many talented users on here may be able to give you more advice on the pros/cons ,am in a similar situation as my current DSLR is getting towards it's useful life and I am wondering whether to take the mirror-less train !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thx - I'm open to suggestions, so interested to hear from anyone who's gone "mirrorless". Perhaps to be a bit more specific, it's bigger sensor (so better IQ and low light performance) and interchangeable lens capability I'm really after...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Berf

Post by Berf »

Just for interest for anyone buying any type of camera prices are a lot less in Germany if you are prepared to fly there and smuggle them back in!

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

Berf wrote:
Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:09 pm
Just for interest for anyone buying any type of camera prices are a lot less in Germany if you are prepared to fly there and smuggle them back in!
Out of curiosity - whats the current best price of a Canon R5 in Germany please

Berf

Post by Berf »

Have a look a Calumet in Hamburg - I used to buy from them when they had a UK branch but that went belly up a while ago. Out of curiosity I looked at the German branches this year for an R5 and found it much cheaper. That was in October - the differential is now a bit less but its 4499 euros (3827 pounds at today's rate) against 4299 pounds at Wex. Add on that a 225 pound cash back at Wex and a 500 euro cash back at Calumet. (not sure how that will work though if you bring it back to Uk)

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

Berf wrote:
Tue 21 Dec 2021, 5:24 pm
Have a look a Calumet in Hamburg - I used to buy from them when they had a UK branch but that went belly up a while ago. Out of curiosity I looked at the German branches this year for an R5 and found it much cheaper. That was in October - the differential is now a bit less but its 4499 euros (3827 pounds at today's rate) against 4299 pounds at Wex. Add on that a 225 pound cash back at Wex and a 500 euro cash back at Calumet. (not sure how that will work though if you bring it back to Uk)
Many thanks. Interesting stuff

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I also major in wildlife with aircraft a close second. I currently run a Canon 7DMk II and intend to go mirrorless because a mate who already has is getting great results with his Canon R6 (using the adapter and his previous Canon lenses). The eye autofocus feature he reckons is light-years better than normal DSLR.

However I'm hanging grimly on for the rumoured R7 optimised for wildlife/sport with APS-C sensor currently allegedly expected 2022, so haven't made the jump yet.

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Hi, thanks John. What type of lens(es) are you using with your Canon setup. I'm used to the 400mm equivalent "reach" of the FZ1000, and hoping I won't need quite as much as that with the higher image quality of a full frame camera...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Slinger65 wrote:
Wed 22 Dec 2021, 2:25 pm
Hi, thanks John. What type of lens(es) are you using with your Canon setup. I'm used to the 400mm equivalent "reach" of the FZ1000, and hoping I won't need quite as much as that with the higher image quality of a full frame camera...
I have a 500 mm f4 but these days that only comes out when I anticipate distant raptors or a crowd leery of anyone moving closer to the bird. Almost all the time I shoot with a 100-400 Mk II which gives nearly as much reach and is an easy hand-hold which results in more shots captured due to being quicker into action than the tripod-mounted 500.

Separately I have a second body with a 70-300 (also L series glass) which I keep set up with a speedlite on top and a white/red/green Fenix torch boresighted underneath for my front door foxes and any night walks after Badgers, mice, voles etc. If I was on night drives in game parks I'd use that exact same set-up, its more than adequate for any size mammals or owls within range of the light/flash.

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thx - I'm definitely looking for hand held - is the 100-400 that you use the f5.6/f8, which looks fairly manageable, or the f4.5-5.6 which looks a bit much for hand held (and also a lot more expensive!)
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Slinger65 wrote:
Wed 22 Dec 2021, 3:06 pm
Thx - I'm definitely looking for hand held - is the 100-400 that you use the f5.6/f8, which looks fairly manageable, or the f4.5-5.6 which looks a bit much for hand held (and also a lot more expensive!)
Its the f4.5-5.6. It's not as bad as you maybe think, and I keep it on a Tycka shoulder sling so I only have the weight to deal with as I swing it up into the aim, its not dangling from my hand all day. It compares well with a 500 f4 on a tripod over your shoulder all day for sure!

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

Slinger65 wrote:
Wed 22 Dec 2021, 2:25 pm
Don't forget to get the best out of full frame you will need decent lenses. I'm also a 7Dii user with my longest lens being a 400 f5.6 and also toying with making the leap to either an R6 or R5. The new mirrorless also have much better image stabilisation systems as well to help with camera shake

I'm locked into the Canon system but you have an advantage in you can decide which system suits your needs the best.

IMO the best way to approach is to

1) Identify what your current camera is lacking for your requirements
2) Decide if there is anything new you want to get into e.g. is video important or are you concentrating on stills
3) Create a must have list and a nice to have list of your wants
4) See what systems fit your needs
5) Look at your budget - Ive left this until later as sometimes it's better waiting and saving to get something that fits your requirements than getting into a sytem and then thinking ...I wish. This wont be a cheap purchase whatever you go for so better to get it right first time. You can always compromise on 2 and 3 if you are a long way off budget wise
6) Not as easy these days but try and handle your shortlisted cameras to make sure they feel right for you

Good luck with the search

nellis6

Post by nellis6 »

Think everyone has missed his initial question where he says he has £2000 to spend on camera and lenses. Not going to get a decent mirrorless camera for that let alone lenses as well, which pretty much means a DSLR is the only option. The Canon 7D MkII and a Canon 100-400 F4.5/5.6 MkII would be a good choice and you'd probably squeeze in at around £2000 if you looked at getting either the lens and/or camera off the second hand market, otherwise you're looking at around the £3000 mark. There are plenty of good 2nd hand items available from reputable companies such as MPB
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thanks all - really appreciate the input and welcome any more thoughts / ideas. Lots to think about - including whether I need to rethink the budget - I could go up another £1-2k if I can justify the expense (to myself, thankfully no-one else!). Ultimately the FZ1000 has been a really good compromise between cost, portability and overall image quality - but seeing the quality of some of the shots on here, and Flickr, does make me want something better. It's just a question of where to make the trade-offs...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Berf

Post by Berf »

I have had a 7DMk11 and the difference between that and the R5 is chalk and cheese. Nellis reminds us that he the OP has 2000 to spend - that was my original point when I said look at Germany if you can. Canon R and 24-105 plus 100-400 (f5.6-8) total 2400 pounds at today's rate. There may be a 300 euro cash back. While its not 2000 its no so far off to get a good foot on the ladder with a good mirrorless full frame. Personally I would rather have the R with an EF adapter and second hand' faster EF 100-400. Either that or I will happily sell you my 7D mk2 which has had less than 5000 shots on it!

Alan425

Post by Alan425 »

From a Nikon user perspective can I suggest a couple of alternatives (all prices as per WEX):

DSLR
Nikon D7500 + 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 lens kit (equivalent 27-210mm) £1,149
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E AF-P lens (equivalent 105-450mm) £535

Mirrorless
Nikon Z 50 + FTZ adaptor £899
Nikon Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 lens £599
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E AF-P lens (equivalent 105-450mm) £535 (will need to use with FTZ adaptor)

I use all of the above (apart from the new Z 18-140) as my lightweight outfit when I don't want to lug around my "serious" kit, and all give excellent results (especially the 70-300, which I use a lot). Don't forget to budget for spare batteries (particularly for the Z 50!). These are both DX cameras, so have a 1.5x crop factor (ie 300mm becomes 450mm "equivalent") which will give a 27-450mm equivalent similar to your Panasonic.

Alan

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thx Alan, appreciate you taking the time to post, will take a look...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Alan425 wrote:
Fri 24 Dec 2021, 10:57 am
From a Nikon user perspective can I suggest a couple of alternatives (all prices as per WEX):

Mirrorless
Nikon Z 50 + FTZ adaptor £899
Nikon Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 lens £599
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E AF-P lens (equivalent 105-450mm) £535 (will need to use with FTZ adaptor)

I use all of the above (apart from the new Z 18-140) as my lightweight outfit when I don't want to lug around my "serious" kit, and all give excellent results (especially the 70-300, which I use a lot). Don't forget to budget for spare batteries (particularly for the Z 50!). These are both DX cameras, so have a 1.5x crop factor (ie 300mm becomes 450mm "equivalent") which will give a 27-450mm equivalent similar to your Panasonic.

Alan
Have you used this setup at an airshow and if so, how does it perform ?.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

wallace

Post by wallace »

Have you considered second hand?
For that budget you are not going to be able to buy both a new camera and lens, so I'd suggest buying a second hand body and the best glass (possibly new) that you can afford.
That way you can cut your teeth on the new camera and upgrade to a new body at a later date.

I've used MPB, https://www.mpb.com and would recommend them. They offer a very good service in the UK. I've seen Germany mentioned, which is good as they have a branch in Berlin

Alan425

Post by Alan425 »

Apologies for the delay in replying Mooshie1956. Unfortunately the pandemic has meant I haven't had the opportunity to use the Z 50 at an airshow, but I have used it at my local airfields here in Lincolnshire, and it coped perfectly well with flying shots of Hawks and Texans at Valley recently. The auto focus locks on quickly and is very accurate (all of the sequences of Valley Hawk shots I took were sharp).

Alan

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Alan425 wrote:
Sun 26 Dec 2021, 10:26 am
Apologies for the delay in replying Mooshie1956. Unfortunately the pandemic has meant I haven't had the opportunity to use the Z 50 at an airshow, but I have used it at my local airfields here in Lincolnshire, and it coped perfectly well with flying shots of Hawks and Texans at Valley recently. The auto focus locks on quickly and is very accurate (all of the sequences of Valley Hawk shots I took were sharp).

Alan
Thanks for that, it's been my main worry about moving over to mirrorless. I did use a Panasonic G80 and that did ok but as has been asked here, it didn't give me the quality of a DSLR in low light.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens