Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Cosford Airshow 2022

Post by Tommy »

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Great addition, Rich always puts on a fantastic, high energy display.

Cole

Post by Cole »

The participation still is looking a little thin considering we are only a month and half away.

There is some real star items, but still a long way to go for the promised 6 hour display.

By my rekoning theres around 2hr30-3hrs worth of diplays announced. Meaning another 3hrs to announce.

Is it me or is there usually alot more announced by now ?
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Seems pretty short so far, yes. I expect the next few weeks might see more and more added.

I expect we might see the likes of the Strikemaster duo, Historic Helicopters, Global Stars, Jet Provosts, Wingwalkers, the US & Russian Spitfires and the Blades added soon.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

So far only three civilian flying displays announced for Cosford 22. Just me thinking aloud really but could it be Cosford are still in talks over further military participation and therefore we might have more from that side of things to come. If I remember the last few Cosford shows pre pandemic had the civilian displays mostly announced with about six weeks left until the event.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Sometimes I do wonder, I mean I bought my ticket for the cancelled show a couple of seasons ago but they push and push for you to buy a ticket but I sit there thinking well I’m looking to see aeroplanes so tell us what we expect to see. I wouldn’t pay for a show that they don’t even tell you what you’re getting airshow marketing seem to target everything except the actual air display and it annoys me

cobmauler

Post by cobmauler »

It's all gone a bit quiet. Anything coming out of the rumour mill?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Yeah, it's gone quiet :(

Still plenty of time, but ticking down now.

Mike

Post by Mike »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Wed 20 Apr 2022, 7:44 pm
Sometimes I do wonder, I mean I bought my ticket for the cancelled show a couple of seasons ago but they push and push for you to buy a ticket but I sit there thinking well I’m looking to see aeroplanes so tell us what we expect to see. I wouldn’t pay for a show that they don’t even tell you what you’re getting airshow marketing seem to target everything except the actual air display and it annoys me
I guess you must be too young to remember the world before the internet, when we just turned up to an airshow with no idea what was going to be there, other than probably the Reds and a reasonable expectation of some based stuff flying.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Mike wrote:
Wed 27 Apr 2022, 6:08 pm
UKAirshowTour wrote:
I guess you must be too young to remember the world before the internet, when we just turned up to an airshow with no idea what was going to be there, other than probably the Reds and a reasonable expectation of some based stuff flying.
I'm glad you wrote that Mike - I was going to comment on people being entitled - and first world problems - but your version is much nicer than mine
Last edited by Andyph on Thu 28 Apr 2022, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Mike wrote:
UKAirshowTour wrote:
:clap:

Berf

Post by Berf »

Mike wrote:
UKAirshowTour wrote:
Mike you are completely wrong :wink: - being of that age you will remember the fortnightly newspaper version of Aviation News. Maybe once or twice in the spring early summer it would have a tiny update on what might be expected at the IAT or Farnborough. On every other Thursday we would hang around the paper shop waiting for Av News to be put out on the shelf. We would then incur the wrath of the owner by reading it without buying it - no way I could afford it - I was saving up for the three of four slide films I would take to the show. Sometimes we could placate him by buying the Radio Times for our parents. In the end he hid them behind the counter and anyone who wanted it had to ask for it and buy it. So, no sympathy from me for any moaning about a lack of information these days.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Not siding with any particular angle, but also in the years of old tickets were far cheaper, and for the most part you could purchase them on the gate.

It’s swings and roundabouts. Personally, I don’t think criticism of Cosford is fair at the moment. Items have been announced - and really decent ones, too. Enough for the price of a ticket, but that’s only in my opinion.

But equally, in the days of information, ever increasing ticket prices, and “advance ticket sales only”, there has to be some sort of incentive to buy those tickets.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

I get a bit miffed with the 'in the old days' posts, as Tommy says, that's forgetting that tickets used to be cheaper, weren't sold out months in advance and were bought on the gate in most cases (so weather was less of a consideration).
But the main thing that's being forgotten is that even 20 years ago the RAF display items alone would be a sell out show in 2022. These days the RAF have one fast jet display, so the just turn up and be grateful approach no longer works.

Mike

Post by Mike »

When you buy a ticket to a football match, do you expect to be told the score in advance? 🤷🏼‍♂️

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mike wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 12:49 pm
When you buy a ticket to a football match, do you expect to be told the score in advance? 🤷🏼‍♂️
You'll probably know which teams are playing though?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Mike wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 12:49 pm
Dreadful analogy, you'll know a) which teams are playing and b) what game is being played so not in any way comparable.
Glastonbury is a good comparison, you buy the tickets well before acts are announced, the key difference? there is no shortage of amazing music acts so you can all but guarantee a great show.
This simply no longer works with airshows as there are so few star items most shows can only dream of getting more than one and many get none at all so we need to have an idea before parting with large sums.
For the record the Cosford line up looks ok but it's a long trek for me so I'll probably give it a miss.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Indeed, what's all this 'better citizen than you' rhetoric now polluting so many threads? The UKAR one upmanship continues apace.

Yes, the individual might have chosen their language a little better ('expect' and 'annoy'). But I think the ceremonial piling on thereafter as responders wag their finger, waltz down memory lane with rose tinted spectacles and suckle on their Werther's Original, well, it's not needed.

When you break down the point that they were trying to make (and it's wider than just Cosford), there are actually very valid concerns - especially as widespread living cost rises begin to bite. Hoorah... we can afford an airshow ticket, but can we now afford to get there and avoid starvation? Can we afford to bring our family now?

And what if it rains all day? As customers of this and any paid airshow, we now carry ALL of that risk. At some point, each and every one of us will ask, can we really be a*sed to go? Is it worth it?

Maybe the finger wagging Werther's Original sucklers are all millionaires and retired, without the responsibilities or concerns of today's world... Maybe life was better thirty or forty years ago. Thing is, this is 2022 and the pickings are slim. That's just how life has progressed. Count them pennies - something will have to give.

Keep calm, and carry on.

Edited to add, the line up at Cosford is looking decent at this time and I am looking forward to attending. Car sharing to reduce costs.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

spellow3010 wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 1:40 pm
the finger wagging Werther's Original sucklers
:joy: made me chuckle, but....
Should that be a sucker or a suckler?

At least if they have their Werther's, they shouldn't become victims of starvation while attending the airshow I suppose.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

cobmauler

Post by cobmauler »

Crikey, only said that it had gone quiet. Now look what I have started! Incidentally, looking at some 1980's lineups, there were a bit thin on the ground and much shorter.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Ah don’t worry buddy - we’re all chewing the fat. Not sure it was your comment that started things anyway. 👍🏻

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Did I imagine it or was it originally said that their would be a jubilee flypast of various aircraft at Cosford Airshow this year? I had it in my head thats what was said but I cant find it anywhere now and think I may have imagined it.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Luke28 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 9:32 am
Did I imagine it or was it originally said that their would be a jubilee flypast of various aircraft at Cosford Airshow this year? I had it in my head thats what was said but I cant find it anywhere now and think I may have imagined it.
I don't recall a flypast being mentioned - if it was it passed me by, although the jubilee is a stated theme.

I'm struggling to understand the negativity the show organisers are getting higher up this thread. The participation announced so far is so much better than I dared hope for, for the likes of Cosford this year. Healthy foreign mil participation, plus everything the RAF can offer. I'm sure the programme will be filled out accordingly. After all an airshow is what is being sold, and an airshow we will get.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Yeah thanks pal, I think I may have seen the Jubilee theme and put 2 and 2 together there.

I agree its looking very good so far, I remember the days when two fast jets at Cosford and it was considered a stellar show.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Does Cosford allow flares at its show?
Where are the display aircraft based and do they use the runway as the display axis?