cabin bags allowances

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Zoom

cabin bags allowances

Post by Zoom »

just wondering;

Since some airlines have changed their policy on what counts as "free" cabin baggage does this affect the weight distribution on the plane?

does it matter from an aviation POV or are they just looking at ways to reduce their headline fare whilst clawing it back thru baggage fees and also reducing their own airport handling charges?

using easyjet as an example, on the same flight

1 x small under seat bag
(max. 45 x 36 x 20 cm)
Included

1 x large overhead bag
(max. 56 x 45 x 25 cm)
£20.49

15kg hold bag
£30.99

23kg hold bag
£35.49

26kg hold bag
£47.49

Customers who have purchased Extra Legroom or Up Front seats or booked a large cabin bag
Additional large overhead cabin bag max. 56 x 45 x 25 cm | 1 per passenger

(does that mean more bags at the front of the plane therefore extra weight?)

since the rule changes I've got used to using one of these for free and managing (involving a 100ml travel wash tube!); although they'll probably find a way round it

Cabin Max Metz 30L Carry On Travel Backpack 45 x 36 x 20 cm

roger

Re: cabin bags allowances

Post by roger »

Total aircraft gross weight affects take-off performance and total fuel required, so yes, it does have an effect. However it is usually fairly small.

The weight has to be distributed so the aircraft remains within limits for where the center of gravity is. Airlines use some sensible(ish) estimates of passenger and hand-luggage weight. They of course know its distribution within the cabin from the seat allocations (it's reasonable to assume the cabin baggage is stowed close to overhead the person who owns it). Presumably all the hold luggage gets weighed, so it's actual gross-weight and which hold it is loaded in, is included in the weight-and-balance calculations before departing.

I once flew an early morning flight with Easyjet (Gatwick to Zurich, if I remember correctly) where there were only around 20 passengers on board, in the days when you could choose any seat on boarding. We were required to spread ourselves out around the cabin, rather than fill the front few rows of seats, allegedly for W&B reasons, which surprised me as I wouldn't have guessed an Airbus A320 was that sensitive to W&B issues.

On the other hand I have also flown commercially in a Cessna 208 and in a Eurocopter EC130 where each passenger was weighed with hand luggage and told from the W&B calculation where to sit.

But to answer your question, none of the above is new. The same W&B calculations must have been done before the cabin baggage charging changes, so yes, I suspect the main driver for the charges is to make more money from us!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

roger wrote:
Wed 29 Dec 2021, 3:23 pm
Total aircraft gross weight affects take-off performance and total fuel required, so yes, it does have an effect. However it is usually fairly small.

The weight has to be distributed so the aircraft remains within limits for where the center of gravity is. Airlines use some sensible(ish) estimates of passenger and hand-luggage weight. They of course know its distribution within the cabin from the seat allocations (it's reasonable to assume the cabin baggage is stowed close to overhead the person who owns it). Presumably all the hold luggage gets weighed, so it's actual gross-weight and which hold it is loaded in, is included in the weight-and-balance calculations before departing.

I once flew an early morning flight with Easyjet (Gatwick to Zurich, if I remember correctly) where there were only around 20 passengers on board, in the days when you could choose any seat on boarding. We were required to spread ourselves out around the cabin, rather than fill the front few rows of seats, allegedly for W&B reasons, which surprised me as I wouldn't have guessed an Airbus A320 was that sensitive to W&B issues.

On the other hand I have also flown commercially in a Cessna 208 and in a Eurocopter EC130 where each passenger was weighed with hand luggage and told from the W&B calculation where to sit.

But to answer your question, none of the above is new. The same W&B calculations must have been done before the cabin baggage charging changes, so yes, I suspect the main driver for the charges is to make more money from us!
Ditto in Islander going to Isles of Scilly, though not in Twin Otter on the same route.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Thanks;

I have noticed that they are very insistent on not moving seats on flights to Madeira (as anyone who has flown there will understand!) and that generally they distribute cabin bags in the overhead lockers evenly to the annoyance of passengers who then have to wait ages to go and get them on landing.

just wondering before I buy another of those tiny underseat bags, can they also ban or charge for them?

(goes off to look for coat with lots of pockets, it's clothing not baggage!)

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Zoom wrote:
Wed 29 Dec 2021, 6:35 pm
Thanks;

I have noticed that they are very insistent on not moving seats on flights to Madeira (as anyone who has flown there will understand!) and that generally they distribute cabin bags in the overhead lockers evenly to the annoyance of passengers who then have to wait ages to go and get them on landing.

just wondering before I buy another of those tiny underseat bags, can they also ban or charge for them?

(goes off to look for coat with lots of pockets, it's clothing not baggage!)
I often use a fisherman's waistcoat when flying for exactly that reason.