Greenland and the Northern Lights

Photos that are not aviation related
PeteW

Greenland and the Northern Lights

Post by PeteW »

I think this is a first for this forum. Photos from a work trip to Greenland back in November 2021. The job was to visit a Ruby mine in Greenland to do some chain of custody work. Not an easy place to get to that involved 3 flights, 5-hour boat trip on the open sea and through the fjords and an hour cross country drive. Took 3 days to get there, 2 days on site and 3 days back again with a cancelled flight for 24 hours thrown in. Greenland and Nuuk are not really set up as a tourist destination and its very expensive. There are no roads linking any settlements and the only hotel in Nuuk was £267 per night B&B!! However, the boat trip and clear nights allowed incredible views of the Northern lights. That night at the mine camp even the locals were impressed with the evening show. If your interested about the trip I also made a short GoPro video – see link at the end. The other interesting thing I found was the amount of bird life there out in the Fjords. I didn’t have a long lens so nothing photographed this time unfortunately.

This is me trying to get set up but being blown away by the lights.

Got the lights and a shooting star for good measure

Just incredible how they dance in the sky

A shot of the landscape from the boat trip down to the mine settlement

Icebergs - dead ahead

Google map co-ordinates 63.53275424907816, -50.72080441100564

Stopped off on the way back to the airport for this one - 64.19287709356925, -51.69604138502271

Just one more of the lights then

Link to the short GoPro video - best with sound on
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h73kremok1giv ... d.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for looking and sorry I'm not more active on this forum, but I am a great admirer of all the photos posted on UK Airshow Review.

FarnboroJohn

Re: Greenland and the Northern Lights

Post by FarnboroJohn »

The one with the shooting star is the biz! (Well they all are really. Very envious.)
I'm a birder, I'd be interested to know what you saw even if there aren't any pictures?

PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thank you John. Actually I was hoping no one would ask about the bird life as I really couldn’t name them. I was just surprised at how many there were seemingly so far away from any food source. I mean the land is so cold and baron I assume they rest on the water being the safest place. I’m back there in April so I’ll get a better handle on the bird types.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

PeteW wrote:
Thu 30 Dec 2021, 10:39 pm
Thank you John. Actually I was hoping no one would ask about the bird life as I really couldn’t name them. I was just surprised at how many there were seemingly so far away from any food source. I mean the land is so cold and baron I assume they rest on the water being the safest place. I’m back there in April so I’ll get a better handle on the bird types.
I shall look forward to it! I think you are right about most of the nutrition being in the water, but I guess wherever there are seals, walruses and so on there will be opportunities for scavengers along the coasts.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

More the question why are they mining for Rubys in Greenland? seems a long and hard place to source something like that.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Georgeconna wrote:
Fri 31 Dec 2021, 12:20 pm
More the question why are they mining for Rubys in Greenland? seems a long and hard place to source something like that.
I believe its the 3rd attempt to make the mine work but the Ruby's there are the oldest, brightest and reddest.

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Lovely pics of the lights - how long were the exposures?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

PeteW

Post by PeteW »

psquiddy wrote:
Fri 31 Dec 2021, 6:36 pm
Lovely pics of the lights - how long were the exposures?
Both on the GoPro and the Canon 5D they 30 secs. I think its why photos of the lights seem a bit blurry but in reality, they are much more defined. Thanks for looking too