Sunderland Airshow 2022 - CANCELLED

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
boff180
UKAR Staff

Sunderland Airshow 2022 - CANCELLED

Post by boff180 »

Sunderland City Council has announced that it is rethinking its events programme.

This is in light of listening to residents' views around events through its Let's Talk consultation last August and also continuing uncertainty around Covid.

The consultation was focussed around seeking residents views both on existing events and the type of events they would like to see in the future and the Council will be announcing new events soon.

Continued uncertainty around the pandemic and the impact this has on planning for events has also led to the decision that Sunderland Airshow will not go ahead this summer.

The Leader of Sunderland City Council, Councillor Graeme Miller, said: "We know from our own experience and that of other event organisers over the last 22 months just how difficult Covid makes it to plan for events, particularly when it comes to large scale events with a long lead in time such as the Sunderland Airshow.

"Because of the nature of the airshow and the infrastructure and contracts that need to be put in place to support it, we have reached the stage where we would need to commit now to allow the event to go ahead this summer which we just don't feel able to do that at the moment. It simply doesn't make financial sense at this point in time to make such a commitment given the current uncertainty around the pandemic and the fact that we don't where we are likely to be with Covid come the summer.

"However residents can rest assured that events remain as important to this city as ever as our own events programme and those of our partners continue to grow and evolve, attracting exciting new events which appeal to residents and visitors alike.

"We also recognise that it's vital to listen to residents and to refresh our events programme from time to time which is why we held our Let's Talk events consultation in the summer to give residents the opportunity to give their views on our events programme and the type of new events they would like to see in our city.

"We know that residents are keen for there to be new and different events in the city and ones that they can take part in as well as attend with family and friends. This is also in line with the ambitions set out in our City Plan around more people getting physically active. So we'd urge people to keep an eye out for details of exciting new events which will be announced in coming months."
https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/article/2 ... nks-events

Witchcraft24

Sunderland 2022 cancelled

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Sunderland cancelled due to “uncertainty over Covid” amongst other reasons.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Sunderland 2022 cancelled

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Witchcraft24 wrote:
Tue 11 Jan 2022, 5:40 pm
Sunderland cancelled due to “uncertainty over Covid” amongst other reasons.
I don't think there are 'other reasons'. As per the statement in the OP, the cancellation is due to the financial risk of committing now facing uncertainties that event can definitely go ahead.

Its a great shame for the area, where airshow weekend is enjoyed by massive crowds. Not really an enthusiasts' show, but for the public in the north east a big miss. The government should really be offering an insurance scheme to derisk outdoor events, the hit to the economy will be noticeable.

rockfordstone

Re: Sunderland Airshow 2022 - CANCELLED

Post by rockfordstone »

it sounds like part of a wider think about events they put on.

whilst i don't see a situation where we get locked down in the summer, its a lot of money for a council to commit at the moment when it could be better spent elsewhere

verreli

Post by verreli »

rockfordstone wrote:
Wed 12 Jan 2022, 3:01 pm
it sounds like part of a wider think about events they put on.
whilst i don't see a situation where we get locked down in the summer, its a lot of money for a council to commit at the moment when it could be better spent elsewhere
What's better than an airshow?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

With East Fortune no longer taking place, that is a large area of Scotland and north-east of England without any shows. The fact they shared display aircraft helped both out, but that is obviously gone now. Sad days for airshow goers up here.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Indeed. I think Blackpool is the most northerly airshow on the west coast and Scarborough for the east coast? There is the annual Red Arrows flypast at the Great North Run though.

There is the daily LFA17 airshow near me but admittedly, sometimes when I go, nothing turns up.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

I suspect COVID is a convenient excuse for Sunderland Council, whereas the real reason is budget cuts or lack of political enthusiasm for the event.

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

verreli wrote:
Thu 13 Jan 2022, 10:14 am
Indeed. I think Blackpool is the most northerly airshow on the west coast and Scarborough for the east coast? There is the annual Red Arrows flypast at the Great North Run though.

There is the daily LFA17 airshow near me but admittedly, sometimes when I go, nothing turns up.
With the return of Teeside, its a little further north than Scarborough on the East Coast.

verreli

Post by verreli »

SilentFlight wrote:
Mon 17 Jan 2022, 4:39 pm
With the return of Teeside, its a little further north than Scarborough on the East Coast.
That's great news after a 5 year break. Maybe there's a possibility of a return of the Windermere show too - although I'm not getting my hopes up.

Post by 106500 »

Think we can comfortably conclude that the Sunderland Airshow is sadly a thing of the past….

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/peo ... or-3883077

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Indeed, its gone for good. A lot of people in the north east will be very sad, it was an immensely popular event.

Just a tiny number of events in the northern half of the UK remain. What a shame.

JMC

Post by JMC »

'climate change' my arse.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

JMC wrote:
Tue 18 Oct 2022, 8:33 am
What part of the evolving climate emergency is your arse not understanding?

JMC

Post by JMC »

Andyph wrote:
Wed 19 Oct 2022, 1:03 am
JMC wrote:
Oo touchy. I haven’t denied its happening, but given the organisers have said it’s the main reason for the cancellation, is absolute codswallop.

They’re just saying that to save face and paint them in a good light. Say you can’t afford to run it and be done with it.

There’s around 10,000 planes flying in the sky right now around the globe, if you reckon a once day airshow in the north east (that doesn’t have a high quantity of aircraft) is a contributing factor, you need to give your head a wobble.

Cancel everything, including RIAT!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Yes its 100% due to funding. Sunderland Council have said that they can run several events across a season for what the airshow costs. Reducing carbon footprint is a convenient excuse, after all, the biggest emissions generator from the airshow is people travelling to it. They want people to continue to travel to the city for alternative events, which negates that totally.

Its a shame because airshow weekend was a massive social event for the area, and I'm not sure what could possibly have the same pull. They mentioned the Tour of Britain, which is great, but they'll be lucky to get a Tour of Britain stage every ten years, if that.

There is the weather risk from a single event, but I'm not convinced that has had a huge effect either. Its just expensive to stage, and the people benefiting from the airshow haven't been paying for it. (in common with most seaside shows). Maybe that's what needed addressing.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

JMC wrote:
Thu 20 Oct 2022, 7:38 am
Andyph wrote:
Wed 19 Oct 2022, 1:03 am
JMC wrote:
Oo touchy. I haven’t denied its happening, but given the organisers have said it’s the main reason for the cancellation, is absolute codswallop.

They’re just saying that to save face and paint them in a good light. Say you can’t afford to run it and be done with it.

There’s around 10,000 planes flying in the sky right now around the globe, if you reckon a once day airshow in the north east (that doesn’t have a high quantity of aircraft) is a contributing factor, you need to give your head a wobble.

Cancel everything, including RIAT!
I think you might be on to it - we really need to be canceling everything! RIAT and 10,000 flights included.

Yes even binning a mediocre airshow probably helps a fraction - even if it is much more value signalling from the council !

But only if we want a liveable planet