Jakub’s 2021 (Warbird Heavy!)

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Jakub’s 2021 (Warbird Heavy!)

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Sorry I’m a bit late to the party! I haven’t posted on here for a while but here we are, a chance to look back at 2021 which luckily gave us a pretty full calendar of events. After 2020, I wanted to make the most of the 2021 airshow season so I decided to opt into IWM membership and it turned out to be excellent value for money as discussed here: https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2 ... lying-day/. Though the May flying day wasn’t the best or the most exciting airshow, it was a good way to kick off my season with some familiar faces and aircraft.

ImageHurricane 303 Squadron by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Next, it was the D-Day Flying Day: https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2 ... lying-day/ - which boasted one of the stronger line-ups of the year.

ImageRAF Dakota by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageFG-1D Corsair | The Fighter Collection | Duxford D-Day Flying Day by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageFM2 Wildcat by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageP-47D Thunderbolt Nellie B by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Next up, I made my first ever visit to Headcorn and their Battle of Britain airshow. Sadly, the weather was quite poor (especially on Sunday with all flying cancelled) and displays felt very far away so any flying shots were mostly limited to take-offs, formations or the larger aircraft. However, it was pretty cool to be back at a ‘normal’ airshow with a large crowd.

ImageSpitfire HF Mk. IX TD314 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageSupermarine Spitfire Mk. Ia N3200 | Battle of Britain Airshow Headcorn by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageFlying Fortress | B-17 'Sally B' Over Headcorn Airfield by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageThe Silver Spitfire | Spitfire Mk. IX G-IRTY/MJ271 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Then onto July and my only Shuttleworth show of the year, the sold-out military airshow. Arrived at silly o’clock to grab a space in the first row of cars. Much has been said and discussed about OW this year, and I hope their shows manage to get back to the same sort of level as their 2018 events (which remain a classic in my opinion with a mix of great aircraft and great weather). More pics in Tom’s review here: https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2 ... -air-show/

ImageWestland Sea King HC.4 ZA314 | Shuttleworth Military Airshow 2021 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Sadly, with Legends cancelled, the rest of July turned out to be a quiet month for me. I spent most of it looking forward to the highly anticipated Historic Helicopters open day at Chard in August. It was definitely one of my favourite events of the year and hopefully we get more of the same in the future preferably on a weekend this time!

ImageWessex HU.5 XT761 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageHistoric Helicopters - Sea King HAR.3 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageWestland Wasp HAS Mk I XT787 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageWestland Wessex HU5 XT761 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageHistoric Helicopters - Sea King HAR.3 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Then, it was time for Little Gransden with a unique, varied line-up: https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2 ... -car-show/. Again, not the best weather for aviation photography sadly, but the sun did come out just in time for the Hurricanes to depart after the show.

ImageHawker Hurricane Mk. I by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageYak-52 G-YOTS by Jakub Z, on Flickr

The Victory Show on the first weekend of September was a pretty sublime couple of days with some of the best topsides and take-off/landing shots you’ll get in the country and by far one of the best atmospheres you could experience. I’m already looking forward to next year. Despite the CAA/display line issues, this show has really cemented itself as a highlight in my calendar. It’ll be a huge loss if/when it’s gone. https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2 ... tory-show/

ImageGrace Spitfire by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageHispano HA-1112-M4L Buchon "Red 11" by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageHawker Hurricane R4118 | Battle of Britain by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageDC-3/C-47 Dakota/Skytrain Pair at Dusk by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageGriffon Power | Spitfire FR Mk. XIV by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire LF Mk. Vc EE602 | The Victory Show 2021 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageP-47D Thunderbolt 'Nellie B' | The Victory Show, Foxlands Farm by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk. IX MH415 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageNellie B Take-off by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageML407 | The Grace Spitfire by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageThe Ultimate Fighters by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageHawker Hurricane R4118 Landing by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageC-47 Drag 'em oot | The Victory Show by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Abingdon - another first for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it (and the nightshoot the day before). I’d love to go back, but next year it sadly clashes with Duxford. Some more pics in Andy’s review here: https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2 ... ntry-show/

ImageB-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally B' at Sunset by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageYakovlev Yak-3UTI Sunset | Abingdon Air and Country Show by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageB-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally B' Nightshoot by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageWestland Wasp HAS.1 XT435 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageMiss Helen Take-off | P-51D Mustang by Jakub Z, on Flickr

The Battle of Britain airshow at Duxford was next and though pricey, the fog on Saturday morning made it all worth it: https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/uk/2 ... -air-show/

ImageSpitfire in the Fog - 303 Squadron RAF by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageGrumman F8F-2P Bearcat G-RUMM by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageWestland Whirlwind | Duxford Flightline by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageThe Duxford 'Big Wing' by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageHawker Hurricane Mk. I R4118 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageSupermarine Spitfire HF Mk. IX TD314 | Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Friday before the show was also pretty great with some epic topsides at the M11 end of the airfield.

ImageSupermarine Spitfire Mk. Vc JG891 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk. VIII MT928 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

A cold, wet and windy nightshoot at Kemble to say hi to the Buccaneers after their move from Brunty.

ImageBlackburn Buccaneer S.2B XW544 | Kemble Nightshoot by Jakub Z, on Flickr

In October, it was another return to Duxford for a flying day which pretty much felt like a full airshow. Clearly, IWM thought the same and have decided to charge full airshow prices for it in 2022. Not too sure how it’ll play out if the season starts a bit earlier for the warbird operators and display teams, but overall I think we all very much welcome the ‘official’ return of the October/Autumn airshow.

ImageLancaster PA474 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageBattle of Britain Spitfire Mk. II P7350 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageWestland Lysander Mk. IIIa V9312 | G-CCOM by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageCurtiss Hawk 75 | The Fighter Collection, Duxford by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Lastly, a delayed TLE event at North Weald with Teichman’s Lend Lease Soviet Spitfire.

ImageLend-Lease Soviet Spitfire Mk. IX PT879 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

ImageLend-Lease Soviet Spitfire Mk. IX PT879 by Jakub Z, on Flickr

And finally, RAFM Hendon in December and some playing around in Lightroom to create this to ease my airshow withdrawal syndrome during the winter.

ImageAvro Lancaster R5868 | RAF Museum London by Jakub Z, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and making it this far!

Plenty more images are on my Flickr, Instagram and airshow reviews I’ve linked in this post if you’re interested and there will be plenty more to come until we start to get back into the swing of things and kick the 2022 season off. Here’s hoping we’ll see the return of some of the larger shows we’ve all missed.

Airwolfhound

Re: Jakub’s 2021 (Warbird Heavy!)

Post by Airwolfhound »

Impressive panning and use of shutter speeds in this lot, great shots :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Sensational, mate, as per. Impossible to pick a favourite.

Also, great to finally meet you this year! All the best for 2022, buddy!

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Absolutely sensational selection of super-sharp images.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Many fine examples of an excellent panning technique with slow S/S and relatively large effective focal length. Nice work!
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Orias

Post by Orias »

Amazing work, love them. Especially the Spitfires!
I've sent my Dad up twice in a Spitfire now, it's been his obsession since childhood, so it's also rubbed off on me too!