Mach Loop Novice

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
JJC

Mach Loop Novice

Post by JJC »

Afternoon guys,

Considering a few days in Wales next month as I’ve never done any of the Mach Loop low flying and would like to give it a try.

I know of the various locations people go, but is there one in particular that might be best for a first-timer?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
JJC
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

chrism8

Re: Mach Loop Novice

Post by chrism8 »

I'd suggest Cad West / East, nearest postcode is LL36 9AJ, look for a decent sized layby where parking should be easy and jump over the style and follow the well trodden path

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Depends what you want out of the place - Cads or Bwlch is a fine place to start for your first time.

From a photography POV, Cad West is good, and easy to access, but can be backlit - Cad East is also good but you can end up with belly shots. Bwlch is good because the light is behind you and you get topsides (or at least they’re straight and level), but the climb is harder and parking slightly more limited.

Usual warnings about proper clothing, footwear, and food (in winter you consume a lot more than you’d think!). I’ve got one of those £25 festival pop-up tents which is a lifesaver when the weather closes in. Nothing more miserable sat on a cold and windy hill with no cover! Take power banks to charge your phone, be prepared for the boredom, and good luck!

Join the Mach Loop Facebook groups - good for gen/info, as is Fighter Control (their LN movements threads are often a great way to work out if something might be on the way!)

If you’ve got the luxury of a few days to choose, try and do more than one day up there. It’s a long way to travel for the weather to ruin a day, or for a blank.

If you’ve got any specific queries, drop me a DM if you like, mate.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 15 Jan 2022, 3:40 pm
Depends what you want out of the place - Cads or Bwlch is a fine place to start for your first time.

From a photography POV, Cad West is good, and easy to access, but can be backlit - Cad East is also good but you can end up with belly shots. Bwlch is good because the light is behind you and you get topsides (or at least they’re straight and level), but the climb is harder and parking slightly more limited.

Usual warnings about proper clothing, footwear, and food (in winter you consume a lot more than you’d think!). I’ve got one of those £25 festival pop-up tents which is a lifesaver when the weather closes in. Nothing more miserable sat on a cold and windy hill with no cover! Take power banks to charge your phone, be prepared for the boredom, and good luck!

Join the Mach Loop Facebook groups - good for gen/info, as is Fighter Control (their LN movements threads are often a great way to work out if something might be on the way!)

If you’ve got the luxury of a few days to choose, try and do more than one day up there. It’s a long way to travel for the weather to ruin a day, or for a blank.

If you’ve got any specific queries, drop me a DM if you like, mate.
I've only been once and stuck to the Bwlch so this is all useful to me as well - thanks Tommy.

Nice to know the climb at Cad West is easier than Bwlch, too - makes it very tempting!

JJC

Post by JJC »

Thanks chaps - that's brilliant!

I had Cad in my head as a the place to be, and potentially trying both East & West, but also seen Bwlch mentioned. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew for my first time, so really what I'm looking for is somewhere to get a feel for it and which isn't too difficult to find / get to (used to plenty of walking in the Peak District so a bit of a climb isn't an issue!) - just keen to experience it really and try something different.

I'll be looking at travelling over Sunday, then spending a Monday / Tuesday in the Loop. Obviously all weather dependent.

Tommy - thanks mate, I may well drop you a message closer to the time when I've got a better idea of what I'll be doing.

Many thanks all
JJC

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

If you’ve got two days, all the more opportunity to take a punt on both places!

No problem mate - DMs always open (or anyone else lurking who may need any help on this 👍🏻)

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

I enjoyed Corris Corner.

Using what three words. I parked at ///highlight.amended.blunders

And walked to ///hydrant.bowhead.lotteries

Ended up with some lovely shots of C130’s and A400’s coming through there.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Although some people still take their chances (which isn’t on, imo), I think the farmer closed Corris Corner in July or August 2020, so it’s probably worth discounting that one.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Do the Reapers use the Loop much?

Seen plenty of action from the Lakes, but there doesn’t seem as much information available online about the best locations.

JJC

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

On and off - not as much as the Strikes, but with their imminent withdrawal from LN, it may be a good bet that there’s some increased traffic.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Corris definitely out of bounds. Keep an eye on the weather as well, this time of year you can really drop lucky with a full week of chilly sunshine, even snowy backgrounds. However that does mean that the valleys can be coated in fog that takes an age to clear - been there, done that!

Activity in The Lakes has increased an awful lot over the last few years and there are several locations - some better than others but I think you're more likely to get at least something through.

Might see you up there as I'm planning to go next month as well!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

this is quite a handy website page which might be useful:
http://www.mjaviation.co.uk/MachLoop.htm

It includes Corris Corner so note the caviats in previous posts as this was probably written before the access changed.

I must say thanks for this, I've never been but planned to in 2020 - for all too well known reasons I didn't make it but it's re-aroused my desire to go there so one on the list for 2022

good luck to anybody who ventures there
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

I recall my early days meeting with members who took me to the Bwlch, all 3 levels. After a few visits I made it to the top step alone, early on a cold misty morning, just watching the sun break through and take the mist away; - even if the day was a blank that memory lives forever. My other favs are Cad E/W. others above me here give great advice and info.
Canon systems

verreli

Post by verreli »

When you've had enough of the circus at Cad and Bwlch you can head down the valley and try Bluebell and Lumberjack. All locations have their pro's and con's. The Exit can be a bit quieter too.

Shame about Corris. I bagged the first looping of F-35s from there.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

JJC

Post by JJC »

Thanks for all the further replies.

I’ve got a few days booked up there next week, although looking at how things are playing out there may not be much to turn up.

Has anyone been up recently and have you had much through?

Appreciate it is a case of how long is a piece of string, but with the amount of F-15s deployed from Lakenheath to Poland / TLP there can’t be that many left on base full stop?

Wondering if I ought to move my accommodation to a few months time.

Thanks
JJC

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think the squadrons deployed to Poland/TLP are the SJ birds and the 493rd?

I’ve not kept abreast of things, but I think the 492nd and 494th are both “home” and active as it were.

I went up in early February and had a rubbish day - two passes from a Texan 😂

But others have had some absolutely stonking days up there recently, so it’s anyone’s guess, mate.

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 22 Feb 2022, 4:04 pm
I think the squadrons deployed to Poland/TLP are the SJ birds and the 493rd?

I’ve not kept abreast of things, but I think the 492nd and 494th are both “home” and active as it were.

I went up in early February and had a rubbish day - two passes from a Texan 😂

But others have had some absolutely stonking days up there recently, so it’s anyone’s guess, mate.
493rd and Sjs in Poland
492nd TLP

Only 494th and the 495ths F35s home. Not sure if if 494th are down for a red flag ?

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

thanks for starting this topic, it's very useful and inspired me to go over to mid Wales in September, originally planned for 3 or 4 days but ended up booking a cottage for a week on the A487 close to Cad East! can't wait :grinning:

I already learnt a lot about the various locations so will plan to visit different ones on different days to make the most of it. Also got some bad weather back up plans just in case.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

JJC

Post by JJC »

Finally getting up there next week! A shame it’s mere weeks after the Reapers have wrapped up flying, but such is life.

If anyone is about give me a shout!

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Good luck, hope the weather holds out!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries